Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Is 1 hr and 45 min enough time when arriving in AMS and heading to BER?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying from LAX to Amsterdam and have an hour and 45 min between our next flight which goes to Berlin. Is this enough time? We are on KLM on both flights. The airline feels this is plenty of time so I assume it will be fine. What's your opinion? Thanks.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 01:05 AM

I find almost 2 hours quite okay for a well-organized airport like Schipol.
KLM alone has 4 flights per day from AMS to BER.
Assuming that you will arrive from the US, there will be more options than just your scheduled connecting flight (probably the 0850 service in the morning). And KLM will take care of it, if you should miss your connecting flight due to a delay of your US-AMS flight.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I thought it probably would be okay but wanted to get someone another persons opinion.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 03:22 AM

AMS is a very large airport and the security lines are always enormously long. I still find it a schlep. But close to two hours should be enough. There's always the danger of your incoming flight being late, though. I've had to run through AMS too many times for my taste, so I prefer a 3-hour connection. Don't trust the airlines--they insist that 1/2 and hour is a "legal connection" at an airport like DTW, and if you're going from terminal B or C to terminal A at DTW, that's really stretching the truth.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Original Poster

I'd prefer a 3 hour connection too DerViking, but it seems that will not work on this trip. I will hope for the best with this tight (to me) connection. I often wonder if anyone in the airlines has ever tried to make some of these connections that they say are so easy in a very short time. I kind of doubt it.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 01:21 AM

1:45 is fine. 3:00 is too long. You will have to clear immigration and re-clear security in AMS, but this is not usually that bad. There is a "short connection" line at immigration, but you would only need to use it (and only be allowed to use it) if your inbound flight is delayed.