Changing Planes in Franfurt

Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Planes in Franfurt

We are flying into Frankfurt and then changing planes to get to Munich. We have a one-hour lay over. I sure hope this is enough time. How big is the Frankfurt airport and do we have to be worried about only having an hour?

Thanks!
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 05:47 AM
sjj

Frankfurt is a big airport and I'd worry a bit unless your flight gates are close. We had to take buses to get from wing of the airport to another, and I remember having a major anxiety attack because one of our buses was late.

I've flown into and changed planes in Franfurt a few times, while the airport is huge, it depends on where your connecting gate is located in comparison to where you land. A few times I've had to catch shuttle buses from outside the terminal due to my flight not landing at a gate. One time I only had about 1/2 hour to catch my connection, but luckily it was delayed.

With all that being said, if your flight is not delayed, I think one hour is enough time to make your connection even after going through security and customs.

Happy travels!

jdc

Well the airport is big. However, I doubt they would have booked this connection if you could not make it. You won't have to worry about luggage, just yourselves. I would also imagine that there are lots of flights between those two airports, and if you miss one plane, you take the next one.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 06:20 AM

FRA is indeed large and very spread out. I/we've flown through there 6 times in the last 4 years. Agree that if you're flight to FRA is on time (and if you're on LH, it most likely will be), you should be OK. Signage is good and most are also in English.

Just check the monitors since there are occasionly some last minute gate changes. You won't have time to dilly dally though.

Agree that if they booked the flight, it's considered a "legal" connection and they'll put you on the next flight if you happen to miss the original one - and there are lots of flights between FRA and MUC.

Yes, don't worry about your bags. We ended up with a 30 min connection one time when our originating flight was late, and our bags made it fine.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 01:46 PM

Worst case, if you miss your flight and the next one is full or so, you can always take a train from Frankfurt airport station to Munich. It won´t be much slower than by plane, considering that Munich airport is an hour out of the city.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 06:33 PM
J62

I've made 40min scheduled connections and missed 90min scheduled connections in Frankfurt. It all depends on the arrival time of your incoming flight. There are flights from FRA to MUC every 60-90min all day long, so you really have no worry. If you miss your flight they'll just put you on the next one.