Roads to Poas/La Paz

Jan 19th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Roads to Poas/La Paz

Does anyone know how bad the roads are? Also, does anyone have a guess at when they should be drive-able again? I'm going to CR in May and would love to take a day trip. I hope it would be ok by then.
Jan 19th, 2009, 07:41 PM
RAC

Roads to Poas should be open, pending any road repairs and cleanup work that needs to be done.

Unclear whether there will be road access to La Paz or whether it will be open. Hope for the best, but plan an alternative.
Jan 20th, 2009, 06:47 AM

I would like to visit Poas in about 3 weeks. Anyone have any info on the roads to Poas now or in the near future? Thanks
Jan 20th, 2009, 07:26 AM

I read today in AM Costa Rica online news..."Emergency officials today will study the possibility of reopening the Parque Nacional Volcán Poás..."

Sounds like it may be open soon as the area needs the tourists dollars.
Jan 20th, 2009, 07:46 AM

The roads to Poas are still closed. Here is a map which displays the affected roads: www.yourtravelmap.com/costarica/travelmap/
Jan 21st, 2009, 04:11 AM

My understanding was that the most severe road damage occured nearer to La Paz and east of there toward Cinchona. Maybe Jeff will chime in. The road to Poas will most likely be ready to go long before the roads to the east of there.
Jan 21st, 2009, 10:58 AM

From today's AM Costa Rica:

"The tourist magnet Volcán Poás has been reopened but many of the trails in the national park are closed for the security of visitors. However, those who go can still see the volcano caldera.

The volcano was only 10 kilometers or about six miles from the epicenter of the Jan. 8 earthquake and the active caldera showed some response to the ground waves.

But now the national emergency commission said that the tourist attraction is vital for economic recovery of the area."