Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Riviera Maya Luxury All-Inclusive with Teens?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

We are considering a winter 2008-09 family trip to Mexico or the Caribbean. Our boys will be 14 and 17 at the time and, while we have never done an all-inclusive before and are planning a big independent adventure for summer '09 for DS1's HS graduation, we may want to try a an AI for this trip - something easy where we can get away for some fun and sun without too much time, planning, etc...

Looking for upscale with nice accommodations, activities and teen-friendly, nice beach. Good food is important to us. There seem to be some adult-only that fit the bill, but what about with teens? Would anyone recommend the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo or one of the Dreams properties or the newly re-done Club Med? Other suggestions or ideas?

Thanks for any input!
Happy Travels!
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The IB Lindo/Maya is a great resort. You can eat at an ala carte restaurant every night and each building has a concierge to make your reservations.
There a plenty of acitivities to keep your teens occupied.
For loads of information, go to this site and scroll down to the section on the Lindo:
http://www.iberostar-board.com/boards/index.php
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I have also spoken to a friend who liked the Iberostar.

Any feedback from anyone who has stayed at Dreams?
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 12:05 PM

We stayed at Dreams Tulum last June (2007) and loved it. We did not have kids with us but there were several there, including teens. The food is excellent, the rooms are excellent, and the staff is excellent. I can not vouch on how well teens would like it.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 05:57 PM

HI wehave been to the iberostar Quetzal and was nice. very typical AI. had a lot of animals (monkeys peacocks, turtles) running around which is neat. heard the Lindo is a step above. Try and look at Barcelo in riveria maya. We loved it. Have lots of actvities so teen won't get bored and have great snorkeling right on the premises.awesome beach, mini golf and pitch n putt golf. has restaurants, but also enclosed A/C buffet area. lots of walking though.
just some ideas.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - I will look at Barcelo.

Reisender - were there lots of activities on-site?

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:26 AM

We took our teen (age 15) on a cruise which was lovely, but found there was lots of trouble they can get into. Then we took our teen (age 16) to the Barcelo in Mayan Riviera which again was lovely, but lots of trouble for teens. The light bulb came on at age 17 when we took our teen to Costa Rica to a surf camp (which sadly is not operating anymore). Well, it was the best family vacation and best trip our teen had been on .. never to that date touched a surf board. Well, nothing is better than an exhausted, happy, healthy teen. There have been 5 surf camps since (current age 23), but the best one found to date is Jim Hogan's Surf Camp in Costa Rica (which is similar travel time as Mexico). Jim was World Longboard Champ in 95/96 and is somewhat of a legend in CR. He has 2 teens of his own and is a great influence. Other activities that he hooks you up with are horseback riding, ziplining, waterfalls, trips to Manual Antonio etc
www.jimhogansurfcamp.com
He does the driving (including pick up and return to airport), and took us to some great spots to eat. My husband and I tagged along sometimes, or ventured out on our own other times. Just another option. Have a great time and Pura Vida
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 10:49 AM

Dreams offers two pools, one quiet one active with swim up bar, water sports, bicycles to Tulum ruins, evening shows, etc. We did not do too many of them as we were just chilling mainly.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional info Reisender. It helps a lot.

Surfer29 - Wow! Surf camp looks amazing. The boys have taken 1 day lessons a couple of times, but nothing like this. I totally hear you about keeping them busy and tired! Our last family vacation was out skiing in Park City/The Canyons over Winter Break - nothing like having the 16 year old falling asleep at 10pm after a full day of skiing We are all happy when we are active, and I have seen some poor choices by teens onboard ships and at bigger resorts when our kids were younger so it is something to keep in mind. Still, a 4-5 night AI might be a good, easy to acess, and relatively inexpensive way to get away for a mini-vacation... I'll have to think more about it.

I really appreciate everyone's input!