Rio Xmas to New Years?

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 03:27 AM
George

Rio Xmas to New Years?

My partner and I are going down to Rio from 12/26 thru 1/2 and are staying at the Sheration Rio. Does anyone know what the hotel is like? How safe is Rio these days? Any recommended tours to take in Rio? Anyone ever been there at New Year's?

Thanks!!

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 05:49 AM
Don

George, I have stayed at the Rio sheraton in years past and I go there often just to swim at their pool and beach. The pool area is a very big spread with 2 large pools. There are restaurants by the pool, one in particular is a place that serves pizza that every time I go to Rio which is twice a year I stop by and get a pizza marguerita, it's delicious. The beach is a very nice little prive beach Vidigal beach but many locals do use it, just be careful of what you leave on your towel when you go in the water, when you get back it won't be there guarenteed. The hotel and pool area is very safe. Tours, go to Surgarloaf, go to Corcovado, others may be able to offer more as far as tours are concerned. The big celebration for New Years eve happens on Copacabana Beach on the hours leading up to midnight. You will be about a 30 minute taxi ride from Copacabana, if you want to participate or see the festivities you may want to scope out a cafe or restaurant right on Copacabana and secure a table ahead of time. You will pay extra for this of course but this will be a very unique experience. There are many cafe's along Ave. Atlantica, I can reccomend Meia Pataca or Havana next to the Rio Othon Palace hotel. Rio is safe if you exercise some caution, don't walk drunk late at night in dark lonely streets and just take enough money with you to use for the day, leave all your nice jewelry at home, just take a cheap watch with you. a good Italian restaurant to eat at is Don Camilio on Copacabana about 2 blocks north of the Othon Palace hotel also Quadrofoglio in Jardim Botanica, Marius Chuascaria in Leme and Porcao chuascaria in Ipanema and Satyricon in Ipanema. Have fun if you have any more questions I will be glad to answer.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 01:08 PM
marcia

I would recomend a visit to the Botanical Gardens that are in Jardim Botanico,in Rio. If it is on the weekend you should go for lunch at a new restaurant called Dom João, that is nearby in a very old house beautifully redone , with delicious food and great charm, and the owners speak english. The gardens are a very nice place.
Marcia

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 03:29 PM
Simone

George,
I live in Rio and I'm carioca (born here). Sheraton is a good hotel and americans really like it. The only thing is that you can't go on yr feet to anywhere else. You'll need transportation. If you get to see a map, it's located in São Conrado.
Rio during Xmas and New Year is as save as any other time. And you really should go to Copacabana for New Year. But make sure will have how to come back to the hotel, because after 1 AM there are very few cabs and they can charge a real fortune to take you back and buses can be hard to find. I suggest you buy a package for this celebration.
Tours: Sugar Loaf, Corcovado, Botanical Gardens, Floresta da Tijuca and nearby cities. Take a look at the tours offered by Grayline and you'll have an idea.
A remark: there are no private beaches in Brazil. They all belong to the Navy.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Don

Simone, no big deal, I think it is easy to mix up but the Intercontinental hotel is in Sao Conrado and the Sheraton is in Vidigal/Gavea right on Ave. Neimeyer just past Leblon. Like you said unless you are a big walker there are not too many places to walk to. Although I have walked from Copacabana to the Sheraton on a beautiful day, I think it took me about an hour and a half with some short stops at a kiosk or 2, just as you pass Leblon get on Ave. Neimeyer and follow it around, you will be there soon, its a great walk but I wouldn't want to do it to go to dinner every night.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Simone

Don,
People who live here are not used to make distiction between Sao Conrado and Vidigal, unless you live in this neighbourhood or someone who studies the matter. But for sure it isn´t Gavea. As to Vidigal, we usually say it when we refer to the chanty town that takes the bigger part of this area. Anyway, these are details that don´t matter at all.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Don

Simone, thanks for the geography lesson, I don't live in Rio but I always appreciate any info from people who do. According to your explanation then we are both right.