Help for trip to Rio

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Kevin

Help for trip to Rio

Travelling to Rio in August and would love information on where to stay. Copacabana Beach vs Ipanema?? We have had so many differences of opinion and are trying to pick a hotel. Any comments on Le Meridien, Intercontinental or Sheraton Hotels??? Thanks in advance. Looking for one on a great beach with great people!

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Evelyn

Hello Kevin,

as I posted here so many times before, I think you should have read one of my postings here, ..
but if not:
I am a german, frequently Brazil traveller, have been 14 times in Brazil and about 9 times in Rio de Janeiro, so could probably help you out with insider-advice!

Choosing a hotel in Rio is not easy, because people have different thoughts about hotels at the beach there in Rio.
I (that's my opinion) would prefer Copacabana, because if you stay there you don't have to always take a taxi to go to another place/touristic place ...
If you are staying at Copacabana you'll have the "metro" near by (probably in walking distance) and so it will get's much more easy to you to go alone to some places during the day!
Well, of course Ipanema is also a good beach, but I don't think that in Ipanema there are less prostitutes than Copacabana, ..
if you want a really nice beach (but it will be far, very far from downtown)
then you have to take a hotel at Barra da Tijuca beach!!

Maybe you can look for a hotel at this pages:
www.hoteis.com.br
or
www.caravela.com.br

If you still have any question about security, beaches, restaurants, must sees or any other thing, plese feel free to E Mail me to :
[email protected]

Have a lot of fun in Rio!!

Greetings
Evelyn

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Don

Kevin, the hotels you mentioned are like this, The Intercontinental which is in Sao Conrado, far from copa and ipanema, everytime you want to go somewhere you have to take a taxi. The pool is great at this hotel and this is s very nice hotel, the beach across the street I don't think it is recommended for tourists as their is a favella near by. The Sheraton, great pool, great hotel, great private beach (Vidigal with some locals), also far and will need taxis all the time. The meridian at the end of Copacabana, great hotel, ok pool across the street from the best beach in the world. Closer to nightlife and restaurents. Take a look at www.blameitonrio4travel.com. Tell me more about yourself and who you are going with for more info on hotels and bars and places to eat. The hotels you mentioned are very nice 5 star hotels, there are also very nice 4 star hotels available, which ones to stay at will depend on the purpose of your visit.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Allan Chinn

Hi, Kevin. I am also visiting Rio in August, and also for the first time. OF COURSE you're looking for a hotel on the beach! What visitor to Rio wouldn't? But what are you looking for in a beach hotel? Do you want a mint on your pillow every night, or do you just want the basics? Back in April, I went to my local AAA office (I'm a member) and booked through General Tours a package called Pricebuster Rio. It's a 7-day adventure with 5 nights in Rio (the flights to and from are overnighters) at your choice of 12 hotels. Included is round-trip airfare, daily breakfasts and an excursion to Sugarloaf Mountain. About the hotels: Superior Tourist Class hotels include Copacabana Sul, Mar Ipanema and Luxor Continental (where I'll be staying). First Class hotels are Luxor Regente, Praia Ipanema, Excelsior and Miramar Palace. Sheraton and Sofitel are Superior First Class. And if your name is Donald Trump or Bill Gates, there's Caesar Park Plaza, Copacabana Palace and Le Meridian. My hotel, the Luxor Cotinental, is 2 blocks from Copacabana beach, air-conditioned, has satellite TV with some U.S. channels, room service, restaurant, and a place to exchange yor currency. But wherever you stay, make sure that your room has a safety box for your passport and other valuables! I apologize for the long-windedness of this post, but I wanted to give all the info I could. I hope this helps you. Have a good time. Maybe I'll see you there. Allan Chinn

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 01:22 PM
CariocaRio

Allan, if you say that every visitor to Rio is looking for a hotel on the beach, then why didn't you get one on the beach?

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Allan Chinn

Okay, so it's not literally ON the beach. But the beach is within walking distance, and that's good enough for me!