Rio Safety - TRUE STORY!!!

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rio Safety - TRUE STORY!!!

My sister and I went to Brazil in 2002. We had been warned about crime and such. We took extra precautions like wearing generic Timex watches and carrying disposable cameras. Let me tell you a few things that happened. My sister and I decided to go to a restaurant that came highly recommended by the Marriott staff where we stayed. Turned out the restaurant was closed because it was Sunday. We walked around the neighborhood at night looking for other restaurants and were NEVER harrassed by anyone. My sister was tired from laying out on the beach all day and decided that she wanted to turn in early. I walked the street in front of Copocabana beach alone just strolling because it was a beautiful night, again no problems. We went to a party in the street one Friday night. I can't remember the neighborhood again but the streets were closed down and there were bars everywhere playing every kind of music that you would want to hear. Everyone was so friendly. I even had a frozen drink from a street vendor -ice and all - no problem. The last thing that let me know that our fears and travel warnings were unfounded, was when my sister and I went shopping on our last day in Rio for gifts for family. We went to a few of the local stores and my sister forgot her purse in one of the shops. I swear to you, my sister is one of those crazy people who carries an insane amount of cash on her person at all times. She also had credit cards and the like in her purse. She went back to the shop - mind you after we had left another store shopping - and the salesperson had put the purse behind the counter for her. NOTHING WAS MISSING OUT OF THE PURSE!!! Suffice it to say we had a fabulous time in Rio. We went to nightclubs, had tasty pizzas and went on wonderful tours of the Christ statue and Buzios. I would like to take my fiance back there for our honeymoon, but we are trying to go somewhere that neither of us has been. Don't drop your guard and always take the necessary precautions. We are two African-American women so maybe we were mistaken for locals, i don't know. We felt very safe in Rio. I can't wait to visit again. And the leather goods - so affordable. I still wear a leather jacket I bought while in Brazil and get so many compliments whenever I have it on. Leather shoes were very inexpensive as well. Also don't miss the Fair on Sundays on Ipenema. Happy Travels.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 06:22 AM

So glad you wrote this. We are going with kids in December. Have been a little worried about Rio. Thinking of going to Buzios for a few days. Is it "could be anywhere" beach resort??
Thanks.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:47 AM

Hi ExcitedforPR, great report, glad you had a good time and even though you are AfroAmerican I think that you still would not be taken as a local as to the way you dress, they know who is who there.

Elainee, is what a could be anywhere resort? Buzios? No way, Buzios is very Brazilian, I have never seen anything loke it anywhere else plus it has over 23 different beaches and all those Brazilian pousadas, the food, the drinks, the outdoor cafes. Plus on the weekend you will see many Brazilians come to relax and in season you will see tourists from all over the world, its a great place.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 08:41 AM

Along the line of stereotyping places, I was transporting boxes of medicine for flood relief and accidentally left a box on the floor of the San Pedro Sula Airport in Honduras conatining more than $4,000.00 worth of presciption medicine. I got it back a week later. Somebody finally tracked me down in Teguchigalpa and convinced American Airlines to fly it over to me. This is sure contrary to a lot of stories we hear.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 08:46 AM

We just returned from Rio and I want to echo what ExcitedforPR has said. We were careful, but not as much so as she was and had NO problems. My dad had a huge digital SLR that he took with him most places (he elected to leave it in the hotel when it was just he and my mom walking on the beach and when we were at the Hippie Fair) but otherwise he had it with him. i even went off by myself to the bluff at the top of Ipanema Beach with my digital camera. That was the only place where I wondered if I was being foolish, but it turned out fine. There was a group of teenage boys (and one girl) on the far side of the bluff and one motioned to me to go on the other side of him and take a picture of him diving off the rock. I didn't go down as far as he wanted me to (I was afraid I might fall) and I recalled hearing about groups of teenagers who would attack tourists, but they seemed harmless. I took my picture (unfortunately it didn't come out as well as I would have liked), thanked them and gave them a few reais and then went on my way. Just goes to show that there are laways good people no matter where you go! I would go back in a minute!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 09:11 AM

Brazil is amazing and Rio from a safety perspective is not unlike most larger American cities. I've visited Rio and Buzios several times over the last year and recommend them highly.

I have a question, I'm returning and want to go to Ilha Grande. Can anyone recommend a Pousada, house or hotel. I hear its amazing but concerned there's not enough to do for 10 days. Can anyone provide insight? Thanks
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

I personally was not all that impressed with Buzios. A little too laid back for my tastes. It was a good day trip to get a chance to see another slice of life. We were there during the day so it was a very relaxed vibe. We loved the hustle and bustle of Copocabana though. I forgot to mention that we went to a nightclub in Leblon I think called Peoples and had a wonderful time hanging with the beautiful people of Brazil. Reminded me of trendy upscale Chicago/New York clubs. We used a driver recommened by the hotel, but we took metered taxis as well. Dondiega, I was hoping that we were mistaken for Brazilians because the women were beautiful. The men were absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous to boot. I would take it as a complement to be mistaken for Brazilian
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Well you probaly were then as Im sure you are too but unfortunately I can't see you.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 02:39 PM

Let's not get too warm and fuzzy here. According to UN data, the murder rate in Brazil is about 6 times that of the USA. And Rio has one of the highest murder rates in Brazil--much higher than any US city.

That said, tourists and tourist areas are seldom the targets of murderers in Rio. Just as in US cities, most murders involve criminals killing other criminals or are concentrated in poor neighborhoods where tourists seldom tread.

I live near Baltimore and Washington D.C. and feel perfectly safe in these cities--but there are areas that I don't go to for good reasons.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 05:25 AM

And that last statement I think is the best in terms of feeling safe in Rio. There are definitely parts of Rio that would not be good to go into and we stayed away from there. The desk staff at our hotel were great about telling us what to do and not do to be safe as was our guide. Many of the folks in our group were in their 60's and 70's and so I think they might have been a bit more nervous (especially before getting there) than those of us in our 40's and 50's, but even they were able to relax and enjoy walking back from the Hippie Fair to our hotel on Copacabana Beach.

ExcitedforPR is absolutely right about the "beautiful people" in Rio. I would LOVE to have been mistaken for a Brazilian, but I think I had too many clothes on when I was walking on Ipanema Beach! I never did break down and buy a Brazilian bikini and I suspect the world is grateful !
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 10:43 AM

ExcitedforPR - people go to Buzios for different reasons than Rio for example, yes you are right that the nightlife in Rio is much more intense than Buzios but Buzios can get going on the weekend or during the week during season. Buzios for the most part attracts couples who want to go somewhere romantic and be alone, so you will find plenty of them there as opposed to Rio like Peoples in Leblon where you went or many other places in Rio is more of a lively single scene.
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:00 PM

I have been to Rio 30 times in the last 20 years and have never had a problem. Most all violence and murders occur in the North Zone which is so far away it might as well be in Chicago! Rio is great, realx and go and do not beleive all the BS people love to write about safety.
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:39 AM

For what it is worth, from the US State Department Country Information as of last month on Rio:

The city continues to experience a high incidence of crime. Tourists are particularly vulnerable to street thefts and robberies on and in areas adjacent to the main beaches in the city. Walking on the beaches is very dangerous at night. Recent efforts of incarcerated drug lords to exert their power outside of their jail cells have resulted in serious disruptions in the city, violence directed at the authorities and incidents of crimes against property, including after-hours shootings and explosions set off outside hotels and restaurants frequented by tourists. While these occurrences have not resulted in any injuries to U.S. citizens, visitors and residents alike should be aware that inconveniences such as closed shops and disrupted municipal services are likely. In Rio de Janeiro City, motorists are allowed to treat stoplights as stop signs between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. to protect against holdups at intersections. All incidents should be reported to the tourist police, who can be reached at 3399-7170/71/72/73.
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:56 AM

Curt, that info although true is al least one year old, most of those types of activities hasn't happened lately. Yes, don't walk on the beach at night and yes you could be mugged at night walking on the street. Always use taxis at night, leave your real jewelry at home. Use common sense as in any big city and you will be allright, I have been going to Rio for over 20 years and have had minimal problems and the ones I did is because I didn't follow my own advice.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 11:16 PM

I live in both Portland and Rio, and I have felt more unsafe in the USA than Rio. Rio is a big city, 12 million people, just treat it as such, like New York or LA, with street smarts. Stay out of the favelas, dress down, dont flaunt jewelry or expensive watches, stay out of dark places at night, watch your back, and basically just try and blend in. I have seen the most incredible tourists with all their jewelry on, toting expensive cameras, wearing expensive clothes, walking around like their Donald Trump. I just cant believe it. I wanted to mug them myself! I have traveled constantly to Rio for 10 years now and lived in Rio for 2. Not that it cant happen in Rio, thats for sure, but never have been mugged in Rio. while I have been mugged in Portland. The murder rate is very high in Rio, but is almost exclusively in the favelas and north zone. There is a bad drug problem in the poorest parts of town. But the tourist areas are left alone for the most part, except the occasional teenage gangs looking for opportunties to mug rich tourists. But the drug lords are not stupid, and realize that tourists help the economy of the country, and in a lot of cases, should these teenage gangs bothering tourists be caught by the drug lords, they will end up as more statistics. So, bottom line, be street smart, and you will find Rio to be the most beautiful city in the world filled with the most incredibly nice and beautiful residents you will ever meet.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 06:32 AM

Hi, I am Brazilian (from the state of Sao Paulo), I am glad to read a positive feedback about Rio. As African-American, is quite possible that you have been mistaken as native Brazilians. But, unfortunately, like many big cities you have to be careful. Just to do not take valuables with you. Copacabana & Ipanema are quite safe areas. Just use your common sense. I have been to Rio many times and never had problems, but my sister, every time she goes there feels very unconfortable. Maybe because she lives in Brazil and is more aware on what's going on. I would not suggest to drive on your own in Rio. It can be tricky. Last time I went with my sister, we ended up in a bad area (and she knows Rio), and althought nothing bad happened, she felt very uncomfortable and nervous. If you travel with kids, go to more relaxed areas such as Buzios or Cabo Frio or Ilha grande. Take advantage of the strong dollar now. Everything is really cheap there. Ladies try the manicure there, they are great and so cheap!