Rio Celeste - Vernado Caves Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all -- We are looking ahead to a July 2007 visit to CR. As we get down deeper into planning, we think we might like to hike Rio Celeste/Tenorio and do the Vernado Caves tour. A couple questions:

1. Our kids will basically be 5 and 7. Too young for one or both? Is all of Rio Celeste hike intense, or is the initial mile or two manageable for all? Is there some minimum height or other physical requirements needed to tackle Vernado that explains the age recommendation, or is it more a "the caves are scary for young kids" thing, or both?

2. We will have our own transport, and are not thrilled about paying for a tour that presumably charges in part for transport. The package tours also get pricey for four people. Can we find a local guide for Rio Celeste hike or Vernado at the park/caves themselves? Did anyone notice guides for hire when they arrived at either spot? Do we need a guide for Rio Celeste hike (is there a basic trail from trailhead?) I assume we need a guide for Vernado.

I have emailed La Carolina Lodge about the local guide question for the Rio Celeste hike, and one of the Harwells was kind enough to respond, suggesting we do a package tour from La Fortuna. I suggested that we might stay a night at La Carolina and use their guide made available for guests, but I don't sense alot of enthusiasm in the response for that idea. Maybe at least two nights stay is their preference. It would be difficult for us to make two nights work.

In any event, I mention it because in searching this forum for posts on Rio Celeste, posters have helpfully recommended asking Bill Harwell for advice -- maybe the Harwells' response that the La Fortuna package tours are the best option is right on, but wanted to see if others had opinions one way or another.

Anyway, thanks for reading this far and for any help!!!
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 04:49 AM

We're heading to CR in 4 days, and both these activities are on our short list. Hoping someone answers.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Hi Rick and Pat -- Hope you have a great trip! If you do end up going on one or both (Rio Celeste and/or Vernado) and/or getting info on local tour guides, if you wouldn't mind posting it here following your trip I'd be appreciative. In any event, take care and travel safe.
Old May 13th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Hi all -- Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I received a little more info re: Rio Celeste/Tenorio and wanted to share it and see if anyone had thoughts.

La Carolina emailed me in the last couple days about Rio Celeste/Tenario. They suggested a guide, but also said this re: hiking Rio Celeste:

"But you don't have to have a guide. You can also go by yourself. There are maps at the entrance of the park and the trails are very well marked."

Is anyone in a position to confirm or deny this? We'd still may like to hike Rio Celeste/Tenorio, and it has remained difficult to find info on whether doing it independently is an option.

THANKS!
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

I posted similar questions to the ones above on tripadvisor, and received a very helpful reply from a recent visitor to both Rio Celeste/Tenorio and Vernado Caves. The traveller had done both activites independently. Thought I'd post the response here, in case anyone searches for similar info in the future. Hope this info might help someone down the line:

"The Rio Celeste hike is located in Tenorio National Park. The entrance to the park is well marked. When you park at the rangers station you will pay the entrance fee and they will review the trails and give you a map. They have photos of sights that you will see and they will show you thier location on the map. Anyone that has done any hiking before and can follow a trail will have no problem doing this hike independently. As long as your children are athletic they should not have a problem. It is strenuous at times but not difficult or dangerous. The terrain is very hilly so the trail is not flat. You will find this in many areas of the country! The hike down to the falls is a very steep flight of stairs but well worth it. You will basically be hiking in to the farthest point which is the hot springs and then you will turn around and hike the same trail back. I believe the hike was appoximately 2 miles each way. We hiked in and then soaked in the hot spring and had lunch, then hiked out. If you self drive to the park a 4x4 is essential. The road is very steep and unpaved. It is worth it to have the extra margin of safety when exploring Costa Rica!

For Venado caves you have to have a guide which they provide. They also provide rubber boots and flashlights at no extra charge. I believe that the cost was $10.00 per person. We just showed up for the tour. I am sure that you can make a reservation if you want. Just remember to bring a change of clothes! You get soaked! At one point we standing under a waterfall. This is also fine for children. They gear the tour around the participants. It can be easy or hard depending on the route you go."
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:53 PM

mma513,
I was in Costa Rica when you posted this originally and missed it!
We stayed at La Carolina last year and used their guide for Rio Celeste/Tenorio. Yes, we could have done it ourselves. It was just as the person you quoted above stated. Not overly strenuous, but 2 miles in and 2 miles out is a pretty good hike, especially for a 5 year old. You'll have to be the judge of that.

Bill is a very helpful and gracious guy. I think he recommended La Fortuna origin for you because it really wouldn't make any sense at all to stay at La Carolina for just one night. It's a little remote for that, so would be problematic without one full day (which is what we had with a 2 night stay--it was just right). La Carolina is not for everyone--very rustic and without electricity. There has been talk of hooking it up to some juice, that I really hope they leave it as it is--for many people, that is the appeal!

Our guide was helpful on the Tenorio hike in that he gave us lots of extra information even though it was all in Spanish. I was able to translate most of it for my husband. But we met plenty of people on the trail who were without a guide.

If your family is really into hiking, it would be worth your time. The Rio Celeste is very pretty. If not, at least with the children, I'd probably opt for something simpler, like the Cano Negro tour. It's excellent! And I know it's irritating to pay for a day tour when you have a car you're paying for sitting in the parking lot, but there are just times when it makes a lot of sense to let someone do the driving so you can simply enjoy the day. Makes for a more enjoyable experience.
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Hi shillmac -- Like so many here, I appreciate all the help you consistently provide to posters on this forum. I have learned alot in planning my family's trip just by reading your posts on various subjects!

It is really nice to get more confirmation and description re: Rio Celeste. We tried hard to make La Carolina work, but, as you suggest, it just wasn't feasible for various reasons as a one night stay, and two nights just can't be squeezed in this trip. La Carolina looks wonderful, and we’d agree that its rustic bent is very much a part of the appeal.

Also absolutely agree re: using tours as best option sometimes. We may do Cano Negro; the first part of our trip will be in the Osa, and water and wildlife may be enough of a part of that experience (hopefully!) that we’ll do other activities in the La Fortuna/Arenal part of our visit. Possibilities like Hanging Bridges, hot springs, lava fields, Rio Celeste, Vernado and just plain exploring the area and relaxing already threaten to burst our days at the seams. I also believe there is a mountain bike with my name on it just waiting to go for a ride. With so much to do, just planning our first trip makes me want to go back a second time.

Anyway, thanks again shillmac for the helpful info and taking the time to respond!!

Old May 16th, 2007, 08:15 PM

Thanks. . .I depend on a lot of people on this Forum as well--it serves its purpose very well. The sum of all the parts theory. . .everyone's input makes for a pretty clear picture!

From what I hear, Los Lagos is a fun place for kids at Arenal--they have their own hot springs. At least I think they do! You might want to look into it. Cano Negro is a pretty special deal. I think your children would be particulary interested in all there is to see. They'd especially like the manhy iguanas in the trees along both sides of the river bridge at Tanque--en route to Cano Negro.

Have a great trip! The Osa is amazing!