hiking part of the Inca trail

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me - realistically - what the last day of the Inca trail is like? I am planning to get off the train at the 104km stop and walk the rest of the way. How up is up and for how long?
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 04:41 PM

The final day is the easiest of the traditional four-day Inca Trail trek. I'm trying to imagine if it would have seemed easy to me if it were the only day I did, as opposed to having already toughed out the first three days, which was the case with me. Day 4 seemed like such a relief. Yes, if you're in reasonably good shape and can walk for a few hours, it will be fine.

Based on how you phrase your question, you do know that you still need a guide to do that, right? You can't just get off the train and walk the trail, even part of the trail. If I remember, you are going to be there in June for Inti Raymi. That's a very busy time for trail excursions. Make the reservations very soon if you haven't already.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jeff. As you can see, I am still exploring my options for this walk. Have started on the stair master at the gym and will do some local hikes in NJ when the weather warms up. Yes, we will be on a tour and the permits have already been purchased. I understand that I can stay on the train, but if I get off, I am committed to the hike. I guess the group can always drag me by my backpack!
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 06:01 PM

So you have a guide meeting you for the hike part? I know that guides are required and have not heard of this as an option before.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

we are traveling with a tour company called Andes Adventure. They were the only company that offered this option and also the option of seeing the Inti Raymi festival.