Rio Carnival (+ beer)

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 04:24 AM
Dan

Rio Carnival (+ beer)

A friend and I (we're both 25 year old males from London) are going to Rio for the 2003 Carnival. I've read a lot about the carnival balls and was wondering if anyone had any info about which (of the non-gay) ones were worth paying for and whether we need to get tickets in advance. Any tips on good bars/clubs/restaurants would also be appreciated.

Although still planning on getting out and seeing the sights we also intend to spend a hefty amount of time in bars/on the beach drinking cold beers and having a laugh. If anyone else is planning on spending their time doing the same, perhaps we could share a beer or two. Send me a mail if your interested.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Marc Horse

That sounds like a great idea!!
I too will also be travelling to carnival with a friend- we are both 25, male and from London and as well as seeing the sights intend to spend a hefty amount of time in bars.
Strangely enough, my friend is called Dan.
Dan!! Dan, is that you?

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 08:39 AM
nanci

We're a bunch of girls from the states who will be there. ages range from 25-35. Where are you guys staying? We have airfare but no hotel. we are struggling. We want a nice place that is safe and comfortable. no necessary budget. Suggestioons?

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Joaquim

The Arpoador Inn while it is exactly between Copacabana and Ipanema is in a very darl lonely dreary location. It may be cheap but there are other cheap hotels in better locations. The hotel should be allright but just make sure when coming home at night you take a taxi since it is somewhat off the beaten path I would be very carefull. You would have been better off at the Ipanema Inn or the Debret or the Rio Roiss all in better loactions.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 12:14 PM
jdl

A friend and I are staying at the Debret. It's a good price w/a great
location. We've never been to Rio.
We're planning on getting some climbing
and maybe scuba diving in while we
are there, but of course, the main
objective is to hang on the beach
drinking caparinhas and attending the
festivities. See ya there!

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 12:32 PM
i am a doommonger

:
Message: The Arpoador Inn while is a very dark lonely dreary location. when coming home at night be very careful.
EXCELLENT DOOD!!!!

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Joaquim

Im sorry to be a doom monger but I just was by the Arpoador Inn and noticed that it is down some side streets. Rio is not Cancun and late at night you must take some precaution. I have been to Rio over 40 times and I have had minimal problems but I have had a couple. And one of the things I try to avoid is walking down dark side streets at night, I always stay on Ave. Atlantica at night where the lights are on and many many people are walking around. Have a great time during Carnival, you will have the time of your life.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 12:31 AM
Dan

Shit man i'm feeling lonely and dreary just thinking about staying at that hotel now. Is the location dark during the day as well or just at night?

Joaquim, have you got any other nuggets of advice to get me in the mood for my trip? We're flying with Continental. What do you think of them? Unreliable safety record? Lost luggage problems?

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 03:04 AM
John

Continental is a bit of a mare from London as you stop in Newark (and maybe Sao Paulo too) en route. It is worse on the way back as it is too over night flights. I would suggest you buy a few valium from the pharmacy in Rio and take 10 or 20 mgs each for each of the flights back.

As you are in Rio at Carnival I would not worry too much about the security aspect of getting back to your hotel. Just be confident and don't hang around. The streets are so busy etc you are less likely to be done over than at any other time of year.

I am well jealous - I wish I was going.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 06:14 AM
Rob

Joaquim -- I'd like your opinion.
I'll be in Rio from Jan 16-22nd and am inclined to stay in Ipanema. Recommendations for hotel on Ave. Atlantica. We're looking for mid-range hotels with style and good locations.

Do you have recommendations?

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 09:02 AM
Joaquim

Rob, Ave. Atlantica is in Copacabana which is the street that runs along the beach. In Ipanema the equivalent is Ave. Vieira Souto. In Ipanema there is a nice hotel called the Ipanema Plaza, great location one block from the beach. Also there is the Sol Ipanema, The Ipanema Inn and the Praia Ipanema. Ipanema has less choices for hotels than Copacabana.

A really nice new hotel in Copacabana is the Orla hotel on Ave Atlantica near the Ipanema side. Then there is the Luxor Regente(4 star) and the Debret which is a 3 star hotel but very nice with a nice price www.debret.com. All the other hotels I mentioned are 4 star, you can also check out the Miramar Palace hotel in Copacabana but they are very strict on their guest policy, no registered guests in the rooms, but it is a very nice hotel, 4 star.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Maria

I all - My friend and I are also going during carnival 2003. And we are also staying at the Arpoador - dark and dreary, huh?? Now I'm even more worried. We are going from Feb. 23 - March 3, and are staying at that hotel from Feb. 23 - Feb. 28, after that we are kind of shit out of luck...and have no hotel. any suggestions? are there any hostels around, like in europe?

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 01:52 PM
Amauri

Maria, at this time it will be a bit difficult to find a place to stay. But try this hostel: http://www.riohostel.com.br

Another budget option is an small hotel located on the Catete neighboorhood: http://www.hotelregina.com.br/in_index.htm

None of them are located by the beach, and it is around 10-15 minutes away from Copacapana, Ipanema, Leblon, but you will meet a lot of foreigners there (specially backpackers).