Search

Hotels in Rio

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Rio

I will be traveling to Brazil for a couple of weeks in the last half of August. I plan to spend several days at the end of the trip in Rio. At that point I will be on traveling on my own. I may do some sightseeing, but I want to spend some time relaxing on the beach. I know that Rio has fabulous nightlife, but I will probably have pretty low-key evenings, mainly due to safety concerns. I want to find a nice hotel on the beach. I am considering the following hotels and wanted to get some thoughts on which I should choose: Marina Palace, Orla Copacabana, Excelsior Copacabana, Plaza Copacabana, and the Miramar Palace. I am open to other suggestions as well. I know that the Copacabana Palace and the Caesar Park are the nicest, but they are out of my price range.

I have never been to Rio before, so any recommendations will be appreciated, particular those for a solo female traveler.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Jenny
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 12:00 PM

If you are staying at a hotel, I would avoid Copacabana. The Marina Palace is in LEblon is good, but further from the beach activities.

Right beside the Ceasar PArk in Ipanema there are 2 great hotels... try eitehr Ipanema Inn or Everest Hotel or even Everest Park hotel.

Another option at the beginning of Ipanema is ARPOADOR INN. These are all good hotels that do not have inflated prices based on their excellent location.

Good Luck
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to include the Hotel Ipanema Plaza on the original e-mail.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 05:19 PM

Marina Palace, Orla Copacabana, Excelsior Copacabana, Plaza Copacabana, and the Miramar Palace. these are all good hotels. The Ipanema Inn ad the arpoador Inn is more of a cheap style hotel. Yo may be better of at the Ipanema Plaza, other single females on this board have stayed there and were very happy plus it iis in a good location, 1 block from the beach and next to many restaurants and bars in Ipanema.

All those hotels in Copacabana you mentioned and all safe but you may like it better at the Ipanema plaza.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 08:58 PM

Here's a place that's very comfortable, clean, and safe. It's a block off the beach but for under $100 a night, a place this good is hard to beat. Check out the Luxor Continental Copacabana.

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 03:49 PM

We stayed at the Orla and I loved it. Very clean and comfortable and in a nice location. As for traveling single, I was with a group of 10, so that's alot different. But I didn't get the sense that I would have felt all that unsafe on my own. It might have changed how far afield I went at night, but that would be about it. There was alot of security around on Copacabana Beach as we walked up and down. The Orla is within a nice easy 5-10 minute walk from Ipanema Beach and right at the end of Copacabana Beach. Great sunsets from the roof also.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 04:47 PM

Check SkyAuction.com for some good deals on Rio hotels. We stayed in two hotels of the Othon chain, right on the beach at Copacabana, at very low prices.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 09:56 AM

Yeah, but you got to be careful with those Othon hotels. Some of 'em look nice, but some look like real dumps (IMHO).

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com