Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

rincon de la viaje or la carolina in June 08?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am planning our 2nd trip to Costa Rica with our family of four. We are two parents, and two grown children of 21 and 17. Our tentative itinerary is as follows;
Day 1- arrive SJ , stay at Villa Bonita
Day 2- Pacuare river rafting with pickup and return to SJ. Stay overnight in SJ again
Day 3, 4, 5, - Arenal with trip to Cano Negro, hike to waterfall, etc. (Hotel Linda Vista or Arenal Paraiso??)
Day 6, 7 - either La Carolina or Rincon de la Viaje ( maybe La Posada del Encuentro) ??? Or open for suggestions!
Day 8 - 12 - Nosara , private rental
Day 13- back in SJ for flight home.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
1- We are not sure about the Hotel Linda Vista , have not been there. Are mainly considering it for a possible lava view. Is there a lava view from there? How long would it take to get into town from there? Stayed at Arenal Paraiso last time and liked it, but the lava was on that side at the time. We will have a car.

2-I am just so torn about what to do on the two nights between Arenal and Nosara.

3-Also any suggestions on day trips from Nosara would be great. Or any great restaurant suggestions?

4- And out of all of our locations , which would be the best to do the canopy tour. Last time we did the one at Arenal Paraiso. It was great, but would like to try a different one, unless AP is the best. Thanks so much!

Old Feb 19th, 2008, 05:57 PM

We enjoyed our stay at Posada del Encuentro last summer. Luis and Sharon are nice hosts. Their children are delightful. I think we interacted with the chldren a little more than most guests and my son enjoyed playing with them.

We were there 3 nights. We went to Haciena Guachipelin one day. I did not like the zipline, but my husband and son did. We all liked the river tubing and enjoyed the volcanic mud. The other day we went for a hike in the park. Very different ecosystem then the Arenal area. We did not have a car here and it was the one place where I wish we had one.

I want to visit La Caroline also, I am intrigued by the Rio Celeste. Whichever you decide you will have a wonderful time.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 07:09 PM

My vote goes to La Carolina if you are looking for something more off the beaten path. The Rio Celeste hike on Volcan Tenorio is a treat as is the horseback riding. Alejandro does a wonderful job as a guide.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Hi again, Well it looks like we are going to La Carolina. It sounds like an authentic experience and we are excited. I am wondering if the hike to Rio Celeste is something we can do on our own or do you need a guide? Is that included in your stay there? I know that a horseback ride is included. Any info on this area would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 06:42 PM

Yes, I believe the hike was included. Alejandro does not speak English, but I could speak Spanish with him and translate a bit for my husband. I think he would be a great guide whether you knew exactly what he was saying or not. He's a great fellow. I felt our time on Tenorio and at the Rio Celeste was enhanced by his company. It was a lot of fun!
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 12:59 PM

Linda Vista Del Norte is one of the BEST hotels for lava viewing. If this is what you want the most then stay there for sure. Arenal Paraiso has its own hot spring pools so if that is what you prefer, Linda Vista only has swimming pool and jacuzzi. Also Linda Vista is about a $25 cab ride to La Fortuna, Arenal Paraiso is about $10.

The best canopy for your itinerary is the Sky tram/ Sky trek in Arenal and they are located right near Linda Vista. They have some of the highest lines in the country and you get a tram ride included.

I say go to Rincon de la Viaja. There are ALL natural hotsprings down one of the trails there too!

source: http://www.anywherecostarica.com/nat...e-la-vieja.htm