Search

selva verde / laguna lagarto / la selva

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone been to any of these? Any comments?

Is Laguna too isolated and the area not interesting?
Is La Selva to "researchy"
Is Selva Verde too "family"?
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 04:35 AM

I have that same question about La Selva. I've read abt it in a number of guidebooks and it sounds great, but there are virtually no posts on this board. I'd be making the visit from Peace Lodge, and I've been trying to figure out whether it's worth the haul over there or whether to just hang around PL for the day. BTW, are you aware that La Selva is connected with Duke University? You can call the OTS stateside office and talk with those folks abt their operation at La Selva. tel # is 919/684-5774. I found them interesting to speak with-- but I'm still not sure whether to make the trip out there. I wish I could hear from some folks who've done the tour rather than merely those who are directly involved.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:15 AM

I have been to Selva Verde and La Selva.

La Selva is very research oriented. We find it fascinating but my husbands family has been involved with it for many many years and we are members.

You must make prior reservations, and must go with a guide. Many of the paths are concrete for the researchers to travel around on their bicycles. My husband really enjoys this place. We have seen some wonderful birds as well as a peccari. Unfortunately, I do find myself dosing off while they get excited about little brown twit birds that I will never see. It abuts Braulio Carillo and is very pretty there.

You can get lunch there but I do not advise it. It is institutional food at its worse.

Selva Verde. Spent a couple of nights there this past winter as well as visited it on a couple of tours. Once you cross over the river on the hanging bridge you know you are in real rainforest. Poison arrow frogs everywhere, lush, green, damp foliage, and mud. We saw plenty just walking around the grounds for free rather than paying the fee to cross over although I have been over on a couple of organized tours. Run by Holbrook travel so it is a bit more crowded. The visitors seemed more mature and I don't recall seeing many children.

Lunch is good and served buffet style.

Another option in that area and is part of the whole of Braulio Carillo, La Selva etc is a place called Tirimbina. You can go in on your own or with a guide (I would recommend you contact them ahead of time if you want a guide) and the fee is reasonable. About $15 per person. Another area where you cross over into the rainforest via a hanging bridge. This is considered another research facility but not nearly as much so as La Selva. In fact, the afternoon we stopped by, there was only one person there. There is also a burial ground right next door. A small area but I found it interesting.

I believe I read a review on this board by someone who stayed there with their family. They enjoyed it. Will try to find it for you.

I would like to say that we have a friend who has a friend who owns a lot of property in that area. Thus, the reason we don't necessarily feel the need to pay fees as we can see much of it for free. It is definitely an area, imo, worth visiting at least once.

Old Nov 4th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Sounds good. Thnaks! Trying to decide between Selva Verde and a more remote lodge, Laguna Lagarto..
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 10:45 AM

Sorry to change this topic a bit -- are the poison frogs something to worry about? How about snakes?
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 11:47 AM

I wouldn't play with the frogs but other than that I wouldn't worry.

There are snakes, a lot more than most people ever see. We have seen very few in all the years we have been going down. I am sure they were there but like most things, they don't want to be around you any more than you want to be around them.