Tour questions - La Selva vs Selva Verde; Doka Coffee tour, etc

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, just a hair over 3 weeks to go and have a few questions.....

Staying at Selva Verde, should I just opt to do their guided hike, 4 hours for $35 or should I go to La Selva for their tour, think it runs about the same price. Is there that much difference btwn the two? I'm assuming I would have to taxi to La Selva? I will probably also do their free birding tour and the horseback tour.

I've arranged for Wady Tours (Orquideas Inn) to pick me up on my return from the Osa at Sansa, stop for lunch and then do the Doka Coffee tour and maybe a little grocery (coffee!) shopping. Is the tour interesting enough or should I opt for something else to burn a couple hours? Have already done Sarchi, Grecia, Zoo Ave. I thought the coffee tour would be a nice stop but now I'm second guessing myself.

Peace Lodge to Sansa, an 8am departure for a 10:30 PJ flight should be sufficient? I thought I read somewhere that at PL they will bring your brekkie to your room, true? How early?

Thanks all!!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:20 PM

Tully, we love the Doka Estate tour and have visited twice since we toured--just to enjoy a cup of coffee and look around and visit the gift shop. We took some friends there last years and our family again last month. DH and I enjoy it anew each time. Lovely place. The tour itself is quite interesting. Good use of your time!

I'd think your flight connection with Sansa should be okay. Only snag I can see is if they don't pick you up at 8:00 as planned. Shouldn't happen, though. . .

Can't comment on the Selva Verde tour, but we thoroughly enjoyed our time at La Selva, went back the next a.m. at 6:00 for birding, but I don't think it was free. . .I'm about ready to get up that way again.

I'm counting with you!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks shillmac, guess I'll stay with the Doka tour, just always wondering if there is always something else I should do - guess that's why we all keep going back! 3 weeks and a day to go!

Barring some bad traffic or something, feel comfy in that my driver will be there in time to pick me up at Peace Lodge. I'm bringing down stuff for Kim and am meeting him on my arrival at SJO, so I'll get to remind him I'll be seeing him a few days later.

Still don't know what to do regarding La Selva vs Selva Verde. I know they're relatively close to each other, so not sure if the extra trip/taxi is worth it. Anyone who has done both please chime in!

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 06:46 AM

Tully,

We never did the full tour at Selva Verde because we were always going to La Selva or other places around Selva Verde. Even when we stayed there. We have traveled several back roads in that area. Being members of OTS probably had an influence on where we spent most of our time. Only time we have been in that area and didn't go to La Selva was when we went to Rara Avis. I can say that we saw a lot of firsts at La Selva. First snowy cotinga, first Great Green Macaw, and, ahem, our first peccary (had heard and smelled them but had never actually seen one in the wild before-probably because I boogied on away from them).

I can say that you won't get as muddy at La Selva because many of the paths are concrete for the researchers to ride their bikes on for one thing. The paths seemed more open there too.

What I have seen of the Selva Verde trails is really beautiful. Rich, thick, dense rainforest. Very natural. If you have been to Braulio Carillo, Poas, it is pretty dense like that. They are all connected so it is not suprising that they would be similar. Think of it as the Osa. Corcovado has this mystic aura about it but you can see many of the same things outside the park like at BdC. So, it stands to reason, that you would see pretty much the same things from Selva Verde as you would just down the road (and around the bend) at La Selva. A lot will depend on the guides. Unfortunately, the guide we loved at La Selva has retired after 25 years there.

Doka is a lovely place. Whenever we are in the area we stop in to the gift shop for coffee to bring home and a cup of fresh stuff. The Peaberry is a little weak to us but the 3 Generations coffee is very good.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input guys (gals!!). I guess I will just decide at Selva Verde, see what I'm up for - maybe both, who knows! What's the time btwn the two - 5 minutes, half hour?
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:13 PM

More than 5, less than 30! Selva Verde is west of Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui, and La Selva is a few km south of there, so I'm gonna ride the fence and say about 15 minutes. . maybe a little less.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 03:37 AM

I also vote for Doka's coffee tour. It was very fascinating! The coffee in their shop is VERY reasonably priced. It was also nice to taste all of their coffees and then learn about what makes each one different. If you are their last tour (I think it is 2:30), then they can spend a little more time with you and Luis might even be able to get you a private tour - we got an extended tour through the fields for just the two of us.

Just so you know, the picking season is over now so you won't see the mill in action.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 04:42 AM

Being birders we have a hard time judging times to get places, particularly in that area. If you ever see a bunch of idiots with their van stopped in the middle of the road and people standing on the road looking at birds it is probably us. Half the time Orlando doesn't even pull over when we are in that area. People just go around us. It isn't far .

As far as playing it by ear....you do need a reservation at La Selva as far as I know.

There is also an archaeological dig not far from there at the Center for Neotropical studies. Not huge by most standards but I thought it was interesting considering there is so little history otherwise.

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 07:41 AM

You should definitely reserve ahead for the La Selva tour -and choose La Selva over Selva Verde. OTS La Selva is a special place and a guided walk there is guaranteed to be a worthwhile experience. Try to arrange a morning tour.

Jerry
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all again! I contacted La Selva and went ahead and made reservations for the 3.5 hour morning tour the last full day I'm in the area. I can always do the 2 or 4 hour tour at Selva Verde the day before too.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 03:38 PM

You're almost down to 2 weeks! Sounds like you're getting all your ducks in a row!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Well, 17 days, close enough! Now just to figure out what to take and keep it under 30 pounds. The down side of booking way ahead is I have too much time to buy too much stuff! Though since I'm taking some stuff down for BdC I grabbed tons of stuff at Target the other day, cute little barrettes, barbie crayons etc.

Looking forward to the tour at La Selva, been reading thru their website and looks really interesting.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:30 PM

You'll enjoy it. You have such a nice trip planned. Now how are you getting around besides to Peace Lodge and Selva Verde? How are you getting to Playa Nicuesa?
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Jill I'm getting to Selva Verde by their pick-up, then to Peace Lodge by the same. Then Kim's friend Alberto is picking me up at Peace Lodge & taking me to Sansa to fly to PJ where I take a boat to Playa Nicuesa. Hopefully they are all at the right place/time knock wood!
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 11:28 AM

Tully,

As I posted when we returned last month, we did the La Selva morning tour and the free bird tour at Selva Verde, but not the longer tour at SV.

We found the La Selva tour an interesting natural history walk--discussion of the primary vs. secondary forest, trees that shed bark and the vines, trails made by leaf cutter ants, etc. Few birds by that time. We did see monkeys. Educational. The trail was mostly paved.

We booked in advance and there were a total of 6 or 8 people. I only saw one group of people taking off on the SV tour. Unless it is really busy I think you could decide to do one with one day's notice when you arrive.

It was less than 30 minute drive, mostly highway between the two. SV will call you a taxi or you can hire their van, if available.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 01:31 PM

Kay2, we'll be at Selva Verde Apr. 26-29. Any need for even a light sweater there? Doesn't seem so from what I've read. We'll be down in Osa for 5 nights before hand and want to travel realllllllyyyyyy light. Might just take a rain jacket and that's it. We've arranged to do early am birding tour at La Selva - and will do the free one at Selva Verde.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 01:21 PM

No. We were there in March and DH and I were our own sweaters day and night. Rain jacket is good idea. Our guides used umbrellas but I prefer free hands and they had spotting scopes to protect. In addition to birds he spotted a great lizard.

Early am birding tour at La Selva was along the roadway toward the entrance, then along the paths back to the main buildings--always easiest to spot birds along the edge of the forest. Our guide was late and we wondered if we were in the right place to meet--best to confirm time the night before, but expect the guide whenever he shows up. As we were staying overnight he told the kitchen to hold our breakfast (and his) in the warmer. It was much better and hotter than dinner the night before.

The free tour at Selva Verde is along the highway, through the botanical garden area. I was surprised we didn't see more hummingbirds in the area. Some neat spiders, though. Lots of toucans, parrots, etc.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Kay thanks again for your info. Since I arrive in the afternoon on a Friday (around 1pm) I'll probably just wander around and check out things, eat dinner and an early night. On Sunday I'll have the La Selva tour then the afternoon free. So that leaves all of Sat and Sun. afternoon free to do some of SV's activities. I'm sure I'll do the free birding, maybe a horseride or the SV guided hike or both.

Just thought of something...is there soda & juices (bottles/cans) available in their gift store or should I have the driver picking me up stop at a mercado? Since I'll have a fridge it'll be nice to have something to drink without taking the 10 minute walk back to the main area everytime.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:27 PM

Tully, just wondering if you were flying into Golfito or Puerto Jimenez. You answered. . .

You're under 2 weeks now?
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:45 PM

Tully,
Just curious, I see that you are flying into PJ and taking the boat to Nicuesa. Did they give you a travel time that way vs flying into Golfito and taking the boat from there? I am thinking of trying to go down there for a few days and was just wondering about the difference between the two. I am still thinking about a little Osa time after everyone is gone. Also thinking about another place down there that would involve more boat time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -