Search

Ricon de la Viega

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ricon de la Viega

Has anyone stayed at Casa Rual outside the Ricon de la Viega park?

Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 12:40 PM

I have not heard of this one.

But I have inspected, and sent clients to Hacienda Guachipelin. Everyone has come back happy.

This seemed to be the class act of the area. They have two classes of rooms. The Standards were just fine, and the Superiors very nice. I think this place is a bargain for money.

They have their own horse herd and adjoin the National Park. They also offer a very interesting white water tubing tour.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer any more advice.

Warm Regards,
Pat Hewitt
Travel Professional
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 03:56 PM

Gotta agree with Pat. We stayed at Borinquen a couple of years ago and it was overpriced with bad food. Rooms were nice, property pretty, but out in the middle of nowhere, reliant on the hotel restaurant, you don't want bad food! Also, we couldn't hike there without hiring a guide. At least at Guachepelin, as Pat says, it is adjacent to the national park entrance for all the hiking you want.

Haven't heard of the other one either.
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 05:16 PM

We stayed at Buena Vista Lodge which is close to the park, but you would have to drive from there to the park.

We enjoyed our stay there, but it is rustic. They offer hot springs, horseback riding, mud baths, waterslide and ziplining.

We did enjoy it though.
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 06:48 PM

We did the waterslide, zips, mudbaths at Buena Vista years ago during our first intro to Costa Rica. What a memory we made that day! The waterslide doesn't get much mention, but what a rush--literally!
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the tips.

Unfortunaetly Hacienda Gauchipelin is book on the days we want. I have check Buena Visat, and they have availability, but I am unsure of which room to book.

CGenster and shillmac - where do you recommend, the lake cabins, the stone rooms or the wood cabins?
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 06:31 PM

My husband and I stayed in one of the lake cabins. They are real close to the sunset bar, which you may want to visit nightly, and there is a crocodile or caimin (sp) in the lake. We got a kick out of watching him swim back and forth.

When I went back with my 8th graders I had a room in the wood cabins, which was fine but really away from everything.

The stone cabins are in the central part and very close to the pool.

Actually nothing is that far away from anything. A nice walk and you can be anywhere in 5 minutes or so.

shillmac.. I didn't go on the waterslide when I was there with my husband, but did go when I was there with the 8th graders..What a rush. The kids all did it 5 times all the teachers did it once and said whoa, once is enough!
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 06:36 PM

P.S. Buena Vista is really rustic. You have beds, nice bath but no a/c, no fridge, microwave, coffee maker in the rooms.

They have meals which are served buffet style, and are typical Costa Rican food, no menu ordering.

They do sell Imperials, and certain mixed drinks.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 08:28 PM

LOL cgenster. . what fun with a bunch of kids. I used to travel several times a year with church youth groups and I do so miss that. Keeps you young and gives you gray hair at the same time!

Yeah, the slide is pretty cool. The anticipation of that cold water swoosh is the best!