Search

Advice on Rincon de la Vieja ?

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on Rincon de la Vieja ?

Hi!
I have read great things about this park, but would like to hear from someone who has actually been there. How is the road getting there? We will be going the first part of July. Also, we are planning to stay in Liberia. How far is the park from here and how long does it take to get there? We love to hike. How is the hiking there? Can you do it on your own or do you need a guide? Any suggestions on what hikes to take? What other things are there to do in the park? Would you recommend staying in Liberia or possibly at the Rincon de la Vieja Lodge? We are "sissies" as far as sleeping goes and like to have air conditioning. I don't think the lodge has it and that's why we opted to stay in Liberia.
Thanks for the info!
Linda
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:19 AM

Assuming you mean the road to the Rincon de la Vieja Lodge area and Park entrance, I would strongly suggest 4 wheel drive especially in the wet season. It is a slow 1 1/2 hours or so from Liberia over a rocky road that fords a couple of streams.

There are several hiking trails in the 'easy to moderate' category close to the Park entrance. You do not need a guide but if your knowledge of tropical wildlife is limited at least one guided walk would probably be worthwhile.

There are several group tours to the Rincon area [see several posts on the subject] that include zip lines etc. These may or may not actually go inside the National Park.

I suggest Rincon Lodge as a great place to stay. Good hiking on the property and a 20 minute walk to the National Park entrance gate. No A/C but we were more than comfortable with a ceiling fan during our visit. The Lodge is at about 2200 feet elevation so not as humid and sultry as the low lying areas.

cheers

Jerry
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:17 PM

Iglass
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:30 PM

Oops let me try again

Jerry gave you some good advice, there are two main road leading into Rinco de le Vieja.

The other road is that from Liberia, you go down the Inter American Highway
...on the highway to Nicaragua ...you go about 8 miles ( the highway is nice and seems to have been recently paved in sections.

The at the turn that says :Canas Dulces, you turn Right , and go about 10-12 miles and you will be there.

The Lodge there is called the Buena Vista Lodge.
From here you can do:
Canopy Tour
Waterslide(recommended)!!!
Horseback riding..
Tractor ride
Suspension bridges walk to the Buena Vista Waterfall
Hot Mud Bath
Three levels(in degrees of heat) of Hot Pools right beside the mud baths.
Aerial Trrail

You know if you want to stay in Liberia and leave early in the morning ,then you can do all this in one day..however you could also stay at the Buena Vista Lodge for a night and then have two ful days there.

or
like Jerry said ...go the other way to Rincon Park to the Rincon de la Vieja Lodge...nice choice to have isn't it.!!!

Also Rincon de le Vieja means"the Old Woman's Corner."
Ask why it is called this..it is an interest story!!
I could tell you ,but a Tico would do a better job.!

Percy
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Iza

I would recommend you check out the Borinquen Hotel. I believe it has AC. We did not stay there but visited a few years ago and it looked like a nice property with great hiking all around. I think there was a recent trip report describing that hotel too, so do a search on this board.