Restaurants and rafting trips from San Jose

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2009, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son and I will be in Costa Rica on a volunteer vacation, saving sea turtles in Punta Banco, with the organization PRETOMA. We will have a day in San Jose upon our arrival and 2 nights, 1 full day in San Jose on departure. We're thinking about going white water rafting for one day. I was hoping that someone could recommend a good outfit and day trip. (my son is 15 yrs old). I was also looking for some good restaurant recommendations
in San Jose. We're staying at the Hotel Don Carlos. Thanks for any insights.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 03:55 PM

I recommend the one day rafting trip on the Pacuare with Rios Tropicales. They are one of the top guides in the area for rafting and it is and AWESOME river to raft. They will pick you up and drop you back off at Don Carlos.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip on white water rafting. I checked out their site and they seem perfect. Although...being my second time rafting, I'm a bit of a fraidy-cat. But, I'm sure my son will drag me into it and I'll have a great time.

Marina, your insights are great as well. I have no problem with getting into a cab to find the best eats! Thank you!
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 07:30 PM

Rios Tropicales was rated #1 CR Adventure Outfitter and one of the top #5 rafting companies in the world by National Geographic a couple of years ago. They also participate in sustainable tourism and reforestation (as well as other community projects) and have been operating about 10 years longer than Expediciones, so don't count them out!
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 03:40 AM

We used Rios Tropicales out of Arenal, and they were great.

You might like eating at Grano de Oro; we stayed there, and they have a charming little restaurant on site. Food was very good.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 05:29 PM

For a very good restaurant go to La Esquina de Buenos Aires behind La Soledad Church - 2 blocks from the National Theater.
They have a website if you want to get their phone number because it is a small popular place so it gets full very quickly but the food is great, especially the homemade raviolis and the decor is superb.
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. This is so helpful. I'm leaving in a week. I'll be sure to give my reviews and trip report when we get back.
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 08:55 AM

Machu Picchu and Tin Jo are both fun, casual places to grab a bite. Both should be in your guidebook. We found it best to have our hotel call the cab - they call someone they trust with a decent vehicle, tell them where you want to go (they go by landmarks, not street addresses) and they will tell you how much to expect to pay. Both restaurants take debit or credit cards and you can show up in shorts and flip flops with no worries.

Do the Pacuare day trip if at all possible. It is a blast! I only go when the water is high, but that is just me. They say it is a pretty tame trip when the water is down. Your son will love it and don't worry, you'll see people of all ages there. You don't need to be an athlete in top condition. If you can make arrangements through your hotel, you will tend to get a good price and transportion will be made simple. The operators don't want to disappoint the hotels and lose their business so they will look after you and try a little harder. The operators put together photo CDs plus you'll probably want to tip so bring some cash in a pocket that zips.
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 09:37 AM

Linda, when is the water on the Pacuare highest and lowest? I know it corresponds with the rainy season, but what months would you say? We did the Sarapiqui, and I'd like to do the Pacuare next. Looks awesome.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 10:23 AM

I know that October and November are good and then as you get toward the first of the year (Jan/Feb/March) the levels drop way down. I hear that even in the fall, water levels are sometimes hard to predict because if there hasn't been much rain for a week or so, the water level can drop considerably. They say a couple days after a heavy rainy period is ideal because the debris will have cleared up but the water levels will still be high.

I've heard that you can raft in the May/June/July when some of the rains return, but I guess it is nothing like what you typically experience in the fall when the water is nice and high.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 11:24 AM

Okay, thanks!