rent a car in Mexico?

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rent a car in Mexico?

I want to rent a car in Cancun to drive to San Cristobal in 4 days with some stops at the maya sites on the road.

Is it save to drive this route? day and night?

How are the roads in Mexico?

How corrupt are the police officers?

Can I expect problems along the way?

Thanks
Maurice
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:18 PM

I have been to Mexico numerous times as a women traveling alone and have opted not to rent a car for many reasons, including many of the questions you have posed.

Many of my friends have rented cars, no problem. Others have had significant problems. I'd say don't drive at night, as many rickety trucks and cars have NO lights/ brake lights and you don't know that they're there until you are almost on top of them. Also, there's this interesting Mexican practice of letting your livestock (horse, cow, burro) graze in the grassy shoulder next to the highway. Easy to see them during the day, not so easy at night....

For example, Here's how you take a left hand turn: pull over to the RIGHT hand shoulder of the road (if there even is a shoulder) , signal left, and wait til the coast is clear and blaze across several lanes of traffic to turn left. If you plant yourself in the left hand lane and signal, they will not expect you there and you run the risk of being run over by a fast bus or cemant truck.

Also, I understand that there is an inconvenient Mexican legality regarding car accidents. For example, if you are in a minor fender-bender, you may have to go to jail until they determine that your US insurance is actually legit. (Usually a couple of days, which completeting unwound the nice retired lady staying where I was, who had to go through this...)

Sorry to be such a voice of gloom- just research what you are getting into. Talk to people on this site, the Fodor's travel books are also a great resource- especially about how to deal if you come across police corruption. You'll be fine- just be informed.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:09 AM

I have not driven the given route you are mentioning but do drive in Mexico often and have never had any of the doom and gloom thoughts of the previous post. Check the rental car and make sure you rent a new car with good tires and low mileage. Get all the insurances availabe through the rental company and get good maps form your AAA or from the rental service. The police corruption a minor issue. Don't leave luggage exposed or items that anyone much poorer than might use to sell for family needs exposed for the taking.

Most Mexican roads today are good roads and there are many toll road options. The cultural also has a free road side side, (green vechiles) that travel all major roads at all times for breakdowns.

The trucks are also a challengeon two lane roads and it is good to have a car that is not the most 'budget' model.

Good luck.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:17 AM

In addition to the comments above, one of the biggest risks is security of the vehicle. As you stop in various rural places, having the car broken into is a serious concern. I drive in Northern Mexico, but from my experiences in the south I really wouldn't want to. On the other hand, many do it with no problem. In my mind- the Mexican bus system is so great, it seems the best way to get around.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:34 AM

We have driven all over Mexico with friends in their car, and also have rented cars in specific locations. We have definitely had the occasional nerve-wracking experience, from car trouble to being pulled over by the federales.

In general, you are better off not driving at night.

In general, the roads are excellent.

In general, the police officers are pretty corrupt from our cultural perspective, i.e., if you are pulled over, the guy will expect a bribe. We look at this as extortion, but they see it as a necessary supplement to their income, kind of like tips to a waiter.

It's always best to EXPECT problems, and to be prepared for them. The route you want to drive is certainly not one I would choose for my first Mexican driving experience. (Although I must say I have not driven that exact route.)
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:42 AM

Renting a car in Mexico is not my recommendation. Bus service in Mexico is excellent. Service is very frequent, reliable, and inexpensive. Some first class buses have nicer seats than first class on some US airlines. That way you will be able to enjoy the scenery without having to drive. It you are traveling a long distance, take an overnight bus ride, sleep, relax, and be fresh in the morning to start you adventure in a new place.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 11:30 AM

I have had good luck renting a car in Mexico. Try Executive at the Cancun airport. The roads we drove were pretty good. Watch out for topes (large speed bumps) in the Mayan villages.