Search

Recommended AI's in Mexico?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommended AI's in Mexico?

Hi,
Does anyone have any good recommendations for all inclusives in Cancun / Riveria Maya / Cozumel that they could share? We are planning on meeting some old friends (2 married couples) for a week of fun. We are fairly active during the day, and would be looking for good night life with entertainment. We would likely be budgeting about $1500 pp.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 09:39 AM

Hi Toocan
We've stayed in a few of the all-inclusives in that area. In Cancun, we really like Royal Solaris-we sometimes go for just a few days and don't feel the need to leave the property at all. Great beach (but the waves can be rough all along Cancun), very good food and service and probably in your price range. Few if any spring breakers too. Well located if you're planning to go to the Cancun bars at night.

In Playa del Carmen, there's a couple properties I would recommend. We were very impressed with the Palladium Grand. Service and food are outstanding, very nice beach. It's further south of the actual town of Playa del Carmen, so it might be harder to get there at night. You'd have to take a cab. The P.Grand has a few shows at night that weren't bad (some places have the cheesiest shows!!) but I wouldn't say the place is rocking at night. I'm not sure just how much night life you're looking for.

The other place that's nice is the Gran Porto Real. Food is pretty good, very nice beach, and again, in your price range. The selling point on this hotel is it's location. You can very easily walk to the town of Playa del Carmen. It's ideal for hitting the bars and clubs, plus you can easily eat there for lunch or dinner if you get tired of the resort.

We didn't find a tremendous amount of nightlife in Cozumel; maybe we were looking in the wrong place. I would NOT recommend the Reef Club resort. The new Occidental there is quite nice, but they have a slight mold problem in the rooms. If you're looking for activity though, I would definitely plan to make to a trip over to Cozumel for snorkeling/diving.

In general, I find for both activities and nightlife, you're probably best to locate yourself near Playa del Carmen, rather than Cozumel and Cancun. It's more centrally located to most activities and the town itself is great for shopping/eating/clubs or bars. Have fun!!
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 12:56 PM

I agree with Royal Solaris - the pool area was fantastic - it had a nice beach - we swam in the ocean every day. I thought the food was fine. Especially the breakfast buffet on the Tower side with made to order omelettes.
There was always somekind of activity going on if you were interested. It was very scenic. A great place to meet with friends.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 12:02 PM

Hi! I'll make it three-we've stayed at the Royal Solaris for 6 years! We can't say anything bad. You can do everything or nothing. Great water sports, pools, restaurants and bars. Pool staff is great. Have fun!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 02:58 PM

I agree with what everyone said - If I go back to Cancun this is where I'm going!
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 12:43 PM

I'm one vote against the Royal Solaris - altho it was several years ago that I stayed there, this resort was far too large for my tastes and it was packed with spring breakers [stayed there in March]. It had over 1000 rooms. Also, it is the only resort in Cancun where I have had stuff stolen from my room, presumably by the chambermaid.

We are just 6 weeks back from the Melia Turquesa, and it is the first Cancun resort I have stayed in that I would personally return to. About 450 rooms, great pool, overlooks the beach, nice rooms [even the lagoon view is nice, particularly on the southwest side]. We went for a week in January 7 days plus airfare for about $1200pp. All rooms had in-room safes that you program with your own 4 digit code - no extra charge. Within walking distance of the LaIsla Shopping area which is huge. One other suggestion - my parents went to the TucanCun and loved it as well.

Just remember - in most Cancun AIs, people get up early to reserve their chairs by the pool, beach, palapa, etc. Also don't be afraid of the tourist buses - they are the best way to get around Cancun. I used to ride them before the tourists did. They are 50 pesos a trip [about 65 cents] and run constantly, every 5 minutes or so up and down the strip. Taxis are rarely necessary.

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:14 PM
MK2

ttt
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 06:35 AM

without a doubt the best AI for your money in cancun or playa is the Iberostar Tucan and Quetzal. Trust just go!! This place rules
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 07:10 AM

I would recommend the Grand Xcaret in Playa del Carmen and if you can find a deal I would recommend the Royal Hideaway in Playa del Carmen.

The Grand Xcaret has several great pools on the property and a small beach with no waves in a lagoonlike setting which is great for children. They also offer an adults only pool. If you can find a deal definately splurge on the Royal Club section of the property. They have free internet access for the guests of this section and room service is also included. You can eat shrimp by the pool all afternoon!

For an experience like no other Royal Hideaway is a great place. It is an adults only resort and the service is impeccable. The restaurants are all ala carte and the drinks are premium. This is typically an expensive property so if you can find a deal grab it.

If you have any questions feel free to email me.

Nancy
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 05:27 PM

Agree, the Grand Palladium is excellent. Loved it so much I've been there twice. Beware of the Sunscape. Awful experience. Love Mexico!! Enjoy!
"Disfrutar De!"
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 06:49 PM

We stayed at the Riu Palace in Playacar last month--FANTASTIC! It's a few doors down from Royal Hideaway and has a much nicer beach. It's not adults only, but has very few children. There are several AI's on Playacar beach to choose from. It's adjacent to Playa del Carmen, so you can take a 4 minute cab ride into town to shop. Check it out on Locogringo.com. A lot of the other AI's in the Mayan Riviera are off to themselves with nothing nearby.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:45 PM

Check out the Barcelo Maya resort. It has lots to do and is on one of the best beaches in the area with good snorkeling at the beach. They have one of the best disco and theatres in the area as well. Here is a private website for the resort. Lots of pictures (check sticky at top of discussion forum for vacation photos) and information about the resort and area.

http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 06:20 AM

Hi, Toocan.

I would suggest sticking to Cancun if you would like active nightlife. Also, Cancun has beautiful beaches.

All of the Riu hotels are fantastic all-inclusives. The Riu Las Americas and Riu Cancun are both very new and situated near the hub of all the activities in Cancun. The Riu Caribe is further from the action but has a nice beach. Riding the bus is so easy and inexpensive in Cancun (60 cents) that location should not really be a big concern. A bus comes by at least every 5 minutes. The only downside of staying in Cancun would be taking some sort of transportation to get to snorkling, ruins, etc. during the day.

Playa del Carmen is fun for a couple of days, but personally, going up and down Fifth Avenue gets old after the first or second stroll. The night life does not compare with Cancun nor do the restaurants. I come here when I want to concentrate on the beach and go on trips to the ecoparks like Xel-Ha or Xcaret. Definitely more laid back than Cancun.

My personal favorite is Cozumel. Talk about laid back! We love to rent a Jeep and tool around the island and town with the top down and enjoy the scenery. There are several places to stop and snorkel on your own, or many snorkeling/dive tours available from most hotels. The beaches in Cozumel do not compare with Cancun or Playa del Carmen. Many hotels have small, rocky beaches, and some hotels do not have beaches at all (Cozumel Palace and Coral Princess for instance). There are several large all-inclusives at the southern end of the island with nice beaches. You would need to take a taxi or rental car to get to town from these hotels. There are nightclubs in town, but these are a lot smaller and fewer than you would find in Cancun.

What a tough choice! Have fun. Hope this longwinded note helped.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 03:22 PM

I got married at Aventura Spa Palace - we absolutely loved it! The Mayan Riviera is such a wonderful place as well.

My review of Aventura:
http://www.epinions.com/content_163589099140

If you're interested, I have a huge online album of pics of the hotel and all over the Mayan Riviera - e-mail me for the link.

[email protected]