Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for El Calafate, Bariloche & Santiago?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:40 AM
gs3
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am traveling to Argentina and Chile next week. I would appreciate any recommendations/opinions regarding the following:

*Inexpensive and decent accommodations in El Calafate (less than $85 US)
* 1/2 day group tour to Perito Moreno (is a 1/2 day trip possible?)
* Group tour in Bariloche that takes you to see the Nahuel Huapi Park
* Inexpensive and decent accommodations in Bariloche (less than $100 US)
* Whether it's possible to see El Calafate and Bariloche in 4 days.
* Travel agents in Santiago or group tours in Santiago, Chile.

Thanks!

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:54 AM

My trip isn't until the fall so I am no help at all with answers to your questions. However I can tell you there is a very active Argentina forum on www.tripadvisor.com The experts from this board,AVRooster and drdawggy, also contribute to that board plus a few other great resources. I am sure you will get some good information here, but check there as well.
And don't forget, you owe us a trip report when you get home. Buen viaje.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 10:37 AM

For tours, hotels in Santiago try www.visitchile.com
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 02:26 PM

*Inexpensive and decent accommodations in El Calafate (less than $85 US

The area is the most expensive one. The first ones that cross my mind which are in the same Calafate town and worth the price are Monica cabins for 2 and 4 pax. a bit more than u$s 100 (very good place) Something cheaper maybe the Austral cannot be more than 70/75 u$s. Sort of 2 * stars. good service.

1/2 day trip has to be done in private
or with a taxi company, that is certainly the cheapest option.

Dont have prices in mind but exc to the National Park are not expensive.

Lots of places are below u$s 100 in Bariloche and now you can get good places.

You dont have the air tickets, do you?.
I wouldnt say it is ok, four days in the 2 places, too short time. but it is not what you would like i guess, but the time you actually have and maybe you cannot change that.

You will have time to wet your appetite and i am sure you will come back soon. Enjoy it!!!

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:33 PM

In El Calafate in December we stayed at Michelangelo Hotel. It was the most expensive place we stayed in Argentina at $83, but it had a good restaurant and a nice breakfast included that began at 6 am, useful for those early buses. We did a one-day tour on a public bus to the glacier; it's at least an hour to the glacier, sometimes more, so a full day is better. We flew from El Calafate to Bariloche, where we rented a car. Because we had a car we stayed at one of the numerous cabin self-catering places just beyond the city of Bariloche. It was very nice at about $60, and they brought fresh medialunas and bread every morning.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 05:57 AM
gs3
Original Poster

Thanks all for the recommendations and responses to my inquiry - I greatly appreciate the feedback. I will definitely post a trip report when I get back!
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 05:21 PM
gs3
Original Poster

This report is overdue but I’m posting it in case any of this is helpful. Thanks to all those who responded to my initial posting when I traveled in mid-April to Argentina & Chile/Patagonia. If you love the outdoors, Patagonia is a must. If you're pressed for time and can only get to a few places in Patagonia, I recommend Torres del Paine and El Calafate. I hear that El Chalten is also terrific.

Buenos Aires (Sat-Tues): Stayed at Hotel Plaza Francia in La Recoleta – simple, clean rooms (but hotel interiors needs updating), free Internet and breakfast included, helpful staff, terrific location in La Recoleta (steps from some of the major attractions in Buenos Aires). Metered cab from airport to hotel was approx. 51 pesos. Generally, I used cabs to get around in Buenos Aires, which was fine except for one incident in San Telmo with a cab driver who pretended he didn’t have change, etc. (I would be wary of cabs in San Telmo because they know the place is full of tourists). I changed some currency at the airport, which was a mistake – better rates at the banks and even better just using ATMs.

Highlights: Eternautus city tour for a good, quick, introductory tour; the outdoor fairs and just strolling around different neighborhoods (La Recoleta and La Boca fair on Sat. and San Telmo fair on Sunday); outdoor tango shows in San Telmo fair; Museo MALBA (sleek museum with amazing collection of Latin American art); concert at the Teatro Colon (I got last minute upper tier tickets right before the concert for roughly $17 US but the acoustics were great; if you want better seating, get tickets at least by the afternoon before the show); Japanese Garden in Palermo; dining in Palermo, which has plenty of great restaurants and boutique shops. Good places to eat: Olsen for brunch (Palermo), Bar 6 (Palermo), La Biela (Recoleta), El Desnivel (San Telmo).

Tango shows: I went to the shows at Esquina de Carlos Gardel and Gran Café Tortoni. I recommend Carlos Gardel if you’re looking for a formal, theatrical show – it’s a great venue and had plenty of amazing dancers. Dinner was fine but I would just see the show. The show at Gran Café Tortoni is cheaper, more casual, pretty good but not terrific. The best tango I saw was outdoors at the San Telmo Street fair on Sunday. Fellow travelers I ran into recommended Bar Sur for an excellent, interactive show.

Santiago (Tues-Thurs): Stayed at Hotel Orly in Providencia, which was a charming bed-and-breakfast type of place with warm and helpful staff; connected to a great café called Cafetto. Tourism counter at the airport recommended that I take the shared-vans (TransVip) to my hotel instead of a cab which was a great recommendation – the ride was approx. $8US. I did not take any cabs in Santiago (no need to because of the convenient and easy subway I took to get around the city).

Highlights: Excursiones Turis Tour (Hotel Orly also recommended About Chile) introductory city tour which hits most of the top tourist spots (Patricio was a great guide) – but this tour did not include taking the funicular up to the top of Cerro San Cristobal, which I recommend even if the smog that the city is known for obscures the view; La Chascona (one of Neruda’s homes); Museo Chileno de Arte Precolombino; a vineyard tour (there are many to choose from, I went on a half-day one to Undurraga); craft shops and restaurants in Bellavista; Azul Profundo and Esta Aqui Coco for seafood, Cafetto for dessert and coffee.

Patagonia/Torres Del Paine National Park (Thurs-Mon): breathtaking and awe-inspiring destination of a lifetime – words and photos cannot fully describe. This is where I splurged – stayed at the Explora Lodge, which was expensive but worth it for me because I was a solo traveler and didn’t have time before my trip to figure out the logistics for hiking the “W Circuit” (which I hear is the hike to do here). If you’re looking for pampering luxury, Torres Del Paine is not for you, but if you love the outdoors, you’re active and want a comfortable, beautiful, peaceful place to stay with wonderful tour guides, Explora is a terrific option. Only very minor drawbacks of Explora: there isn't much diversity among the guests -- mostly couples/families from the U.S.; the size of the group or different fitness levels of the members of the group for the hikes may not always be ideal.

Patagonia/El Calafate (Mon-Tues): Spectacular, scenic drive to El Calafate from Cerro Castillo. Stayed at America del Sur Hostel, which is a great budget option if you don’t mind staying at a youth hostel – friendly, enthusiastic, helpful, English-speaking staff; spectacular view of the lake; clean and simple rooms, on top of the hill on the edge of the main commercial part of the town but scenic; can rent bikes directly from the hostel; great for meeting other travelers. Make sure to see the lake (I think it was Lago Argentino) at sunset. The highlight was Glacier Perito Moreno in Parque Nacional Los Glaciares – absolutely incredible glacier and beautiful park with dramatic views. Got there at sunrise, which I recommend if the weather is good. The drive from the park was breathtaking.

Patagonia/Bariloche (Tues-Thurs): Bariloche is aptly described as Argentina’s Swiss Alps. More touristy, less remote than other parts of Patagonia but there are still some scenic and amazing landscapes. Stayed at the Hotel Tres Reyes, a conveniently located-budget option with friendly staff. I only had time to squeeze in the Teleferico Cerro Otto funicular (stop for a snack at the revolving restaurant on top which has terrific panoramic views) and the full-day La Isla Victoria/Parques Nacionales boat tour, both of which I highly recommend. You can pick up the Teleferico tickets easily in one of the various booths in town, but I used a travel agent for the boat tour. The agent I relied on for this leg of the trip was Mayra Brill (recommended by others on Fodors postings) – my understanding is that she specializes in Argentina. She was great and very quick in responding to e-mails. Her e-mail is [email protected]. If you can’t speak Spanish, make sure to let her know when she selects tour operators for you because in Bariloche, there aren’t many English-speaking guides, hotel operators, etc., so this is the place where I used most of my Spanish.

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 08:14 PM

In Bariloche try Hotel Tres Reyes. In the heart of town. A very pleasant yet inexpensive hotel facing the Lake Nahuel Huappi.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 11:09 AM

This Hosteria seems to be nice. nothing spectacular, inexpensive for the Calafate standards. around 70 u$s
(i contacted them first time last week and was impressed by the help they gave me. Cristian was the boy who answered my 20 questions non stop.
I dont know the place, I dont know any of the people who work there, I dont know any people who stayed there. but if I had to go there I would efinitely try it. Hoteria kaukaleshen)

Half a day to Perito is possible

Many hotels in Bariloche for less than 100 of course they are 3*no more but downtown Bariloche

I think 4 days is impossible
at least, I wouldnt do it.
4 days means 3 nights in Bariloche and Calafate, no way.
No time to enjoy any. You will have to choose one. It is not a problem of days but of nights You need at least 4 nights/5 days and yet it is very short time, just to wet your appetite.

First night in Calafate (take the last place from Bs.As)You can wake up at 7 and take the exc to the glaciers, then 2nd night
Following day, you have to take the PMoreno glacier with a private transfer to the airport. 3rd night in Bariloche.
whole day excursion and 4th night.
day excursion till you board the last plane to Buenos Aires.

There are many tours in Santiago

good luck.