Search

Recent Strike in BA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recent Strike in BA

We read in Bloomberg's Latin America report about a stike this week in BA. Apparently a teacher was killed and many roads were closed and domestic flights delayed in protest. Is the strike ongoing? We leave for BA next Sat. and wonder about problems we may encounter. Thanks for your response.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 09:05 AM

I read that it was a one day strike on Monday.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Things appear to be back to normal. I just received a fed ex package from a school in Buenos Aires mailed on Tuesday.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 01:17 PM

I am in Buenos Aires right now and everything is back to normal. There were about 30,000 people protesting the chemistry teacher's death at Plaza Mayor on Monday for 3 hours. The subte was closed for 2 hours to demonstrate solidarity with the teachers. Everything is calm now.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for uour prompt responses. We are so anxious to see BA and did not want to be a part of trouble. This forum is so great and I have learned so much from everyone. Will be sure to add our trip to the others who have posted here.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 03:01 PM

I would keep in the back of your mind that strikes and delays are common here. Sometimes they're in response to something of the magnitude of importance as Carlos Fuentealba's death, and sometimes they're just seemingly on a whim. The one good thing about (most of) them is that they tend to be announced in advance, and are scheduled for a specific time block (more or less...). If you're staying in BA, it's not as much of an issue because you can pretty much walk anywhere, and/or take a taxi. Besides, they're part of the local culture that's worth experiencing...