re:Luxury in Buzious?

Oct 19th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

re:Luxury in Buzious?

Hi, can anyone advise us of luxury hotels in Buzious? Casa brancas was suggested but have heard it is overated and on a street not the beach front. Colonna park was also suggested but not exactly special (i could be wrong, it has been known). And Galapagos inn could be on the cards. Does anyone have any other suggestions and/or opinions on these or other hotels etc?
Many thanks, Ian.
Oct 19th, 2003, 10:49 AM

Hi Ian: I have the same doubt. I found a poossada La Soberana that looks nice at the web (buziosonline)but I'm not sure if they have a nice terrace to enjoy, have some caipirinhas and rest.It's not beachfront.I think their are not really "luxury" hotels in Buzios. Casas Brancas ( the most recommend in travel magazines )is not beachfront.Look for poussadas in Joao Fernandez beach ( Villa La Plage or La Bohemme) I think ( web photos) that their are not luxury but at least are beachfront. Other alternative (I'm not considering it because I think the beach is not nice ) are the hotels in Geriba beach.I anyone have a recommendation it will be very useful because I'm in the same situation as you.
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:32 PM

Like I said in previous posts I have stayed in recent years at both Casas Brancas and Collana Park. I chose Casas Brancas because of its walking distance to downtown Buzios, it is not on a beach and it is a fine hotel. On the other hand when I wanted to go to Buzios last year when I was in Rio many people recommended to me The Collana Park hotel. I stayed there because of everybody?s recommendation, it was a very nice hotel on a very nice beach and from the balcony of my room the view was breathtaking. Taxi to Centro is about 5 minutes out of the 2 hotels Collana Park is the better choice. Depending on what time of year you go, if it?s not high season then just go to Buzios and shop for a hotel and find what you like. I have done that before and found a hotel, there are plenty of them now my first time in Buzios was in 1985 and I stayed at the Nas Rocas pousada on a private island and I had no reservation neither did I when I returned in 86 and there were less hotels then.
Oct 20th, 2003, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

I have heard that the Nas Rocas is very nice indeed but kind of disuaded as it's a boat trip constantly to get anywhere and dont fancy the prospect of lying on a beach all day. Is there a constant service to go back and forth etc? And collona park, is that a long walk into town?
Oct 20th, 2003, 06:38 AM

The Collana Park on Sao Fernandex beach is about 10 minutes or so walk to downtown Buzios. I have walked it but at 3 in the morning I took a taxi home from the taxi stand in centro. Nas Rocas has their own boat service and it runs all day maybe until midnight. After midnight you have to swim home and while I was there I heard of people who did. Nas Rocas is good if you do not intend to go to centro much with all the restaurants and bars. Nas Rocas has a meal plan where you have all meals and drinks at the hotel. I don't think I would stay there again because I like to go out at night. Next time I go to Buzios I may stay at the Pousada do Sol or Brigitas guesthouse right in centro but these are not luxury but are located well on Rua das Pedras (Stone street) the main street in Buzios.
Oct 20th, 2003, 07:07 PM

Happened to check Brazil out and saw someone was going to Buzios. First let me say, excellent choice. Second, check out Barracuda hotel. Family run (the daughter lives in NYC) and beautiful. We stayed there 3 years ago and talk about it still.
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses so far there really helpful. Think i've narrowed it down to the Colona Park or Barracuda spa, just because they seem the nicest and nearest to town without being in town. Nas Rocas did sound/look nice but i know would spend every night swimming back intoxicated (not such a great plan after a belly full of food and barrel load of wine).
The final decision may lie in the hands of fate.... heads or tails?
Oct 29th, 2003, 06:31 PM

Hi Ian, my husband and I just returned last month from Buzios. We LOVED it! We stayed at La Borie in Geriba. It was very luxurious and the beach at Geriba is probably the most beautiful in Buzios. Most of the beaches there are very small but Geriba is quite expansive and beautiful. Morning walks and horseback riding are very popular at this beach. La Borie is French owned and several of the managers speak English. It is definitely a 5 star pousada. The service was very attentive. The property was very lush and beautiful. Restaurant was excellent as we had breakfast everyday (included) and several lunches and one dinner. The website is www.laborie.com.br. but it really doesn't do it justice. Geriba is a very simple 5 min cab ride to Rua des Padros and the front desk will call you the cab whenever you need it. They will also arrange for any tourist activity you care to indulge in. We are actually returning in March and plan to stay at La Borie again. After seeing the other beaches and pousadas, we were glad we stayed at La Borie. Ask for room 5. It has a balcony and beautiful panoramic views of the outlying islands. Our other choice was La Boheme but after seeing that beach, the beauty and views of Geriba beach stood out by far! Have a great time and be sure to eat at Cigalon in Centro and enjoy some entertainment at Patio Havana. Chow!
May 19th, 2004, 01:18 PM

topping