Search

Rape in Manuel Antonio

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rape in Manuel Antonio

A 34-year-old tourist was brutally beaten and raped in Manuel Antonio a few days ago. She was on the beach near the open-air bar at Mar y Sombra with a male companion when 5 men dragged both of them off into the mangroves. It was a brutal attack -- both victims and all 5 attackers were covered with blood according to the news accounts.

Keep in mind that the crowd at Mar y Sombra can get pretty rough late at night -- there are drugs as well as drinking. This is not the first time there has been a rape or other trouble there. One of the local hotel owners advises her guests to make sure they are out of there before 1:00am when things seem to turn ugly. If they want to continue partying, she suggests going to a disco in Quepos that's enclosed by 4 walls. (Hard to police a party that sprawls out on the beach.)

Be careful out there...
Sandy
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 03:00 AM

I remember a few years ago the attack on two young women ... They left the very same bar in the early hours of the morning ( 2 ish )and started walking on the beach , they were attacked , bitten , but not raped in the end . When my young neices went last year I warned this is not like partying at your local pub . I just told them to avoid this place at nite . This is a terrible , horrible expeirence for that poor woman and companion. Thoughts and prayers are with them . I seriously hope they catch those responsible . Makes you think twice for sure .Scary stuff .
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 04:33 AM

What a horrible crime. From the report, it sounds like they did catch those responsible. I only hope they are severly punished for this.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Unfortunately, the victim has returned to the US without filing a formal criminal complaint. This means those involved will not be prosecuted or punished which is a shame. Justice will not be served and these men may feel they could pull it off again. I feel total sympathy for the victim. I can maybe understand not filing the complaint because she would have needed to return to CR some time in the future to show up in court to testify. At least we have this forum to alert future tourists of the dangers of being on the beach at certain times of day so this horrific incident is not repeated.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 07:52 PM

My husband and I were horrified by this report earlier in the week. Terrible stuff. It supports our belief that no one should be out that late and certainly not in dark and isolated areas such as a beach. Just makes it too easy for those looking to harrass or harm someone.