Notices

Honeymoon in CR

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon in CR

My fiance and I are planning a 10 day trip to Costa Rica for our honeymoon in the beginning of October. Are there any suggestions on places we absolutely should or should not see? Any help would be appreciated!
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 02:42 PM

you have to see Arenal Volcano, best place to stay there is the arenal observatory lodge:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/la_for...ome/index.html
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

We are thinking of doing 2 nights at the Peace Lodge, 3 nights at the Tabacon Resort, and 4 nights at Tulemar Bungalows. What are your thoughts?
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 04:50 PM

Congratulations on your engagment-we are celebrating our honeymoon in June. I'm not sure about those resorts you have chosen. I have been to CR twice. As far a smust see's I would also reccomend Arenal. We rented a scooter and traveled to the observatory-very nice. The January Picuare river trip was ok. I really like to visit the SE coast and go to the Bocus Islands! in Panama. Also hiking from hut to hut on the Nicoya Peninsula National Park was awsome. Always saw the most when I stopped for a few minutes in silence to have a drink!

Good luck have fun
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 06:15 PM

Since it's your honeymoon, I think you should absolutely go to Bosque del Cabo.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 03:33 AM

All the places you've picked sound like heaven to me. We've been to Arenal (loved the Observatory Lodge) and Manuel Antonio, but haven't stayed in your particular resort picks. I'm planning our family's 3rd. trip, and Peace Lodge and Tulemar are top of the list, along with a repeat of Observatory Lodge.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 05:33 AM

As to Tulemar, we stayed there in a 2bdrm Villa (2 couples) last April. We loved everything about it and are returning there for 3 nights this April. It has gorgeous views, a beautiful private beach, lots of wildlife, great staff, nice pool and wonderful breakfasts. Congratulations to you!
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

I've heard we should stay in Bosque but am concerned because I've also heard the weather is the worst in October. Thanks for all of the feedback so far!
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 09:44 AM

Ahhh, October, you're right that's probably not a good month for Osa/Bosque.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 12:53 PM

I am also trying to plan a honeymoon in October and are considering Costa Rica...we've been once before and loved it. The only thing stopping me is the weather in October. What are the best regions to travel to at this time of year...with the least risk of rainy weather? I don't mind the occassional shower...I just don't want to be some where it is likely to rain the whole time. lelandliz - we are also interested in the Peace Lodge in Central CR, as well as the Manuel Antonio area...but thought that the Nicoya Peninsula was the safest bet at this time of year to avoid rain. CR experts - help us out here...what regions should we consider...and what regions should we absolutely avoid?
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 06:10 PM

lelandliz and mishi, your itinerary sounds perfect! Congratulations!

I wouldn't count on Guanacaste (the northwest) being dry in October. That is just a very rainy month (or certainly is the majority of the time) all over the place. And the Nicoya Peninsula, further south than Guanacaste, will get even more rain.

The Caribbean side is the only area that gets less rain than usual this time of year. Puerto Viejo, Manzanillo--and it's a very nice area to visit--so different.

We spent a few days at the end of October, 2004 in the central valley (around San Jose) and Puerto Viejo (Caribbean) and had great luck with rain--hardly any! It is just so unpredictable!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 06:16 PM

http://costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/...rMap.html#rain

This map has changed since I saw it last! But look closely at the little circular moving chart that will show you how much rain each area "typically" receives during each month.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:01 PM

Shillmac - thanks so much for your reply...I knew you could help!

I actually just found this amazing place called the Tree House in Punta Uva...and when I checked it out on Fodors I noticed that you had seen the place. Tell me your thoughts...is it as nice as it looks? The rates don't seem bad at all...since we were willing to spend even more for our honeymoon. I actually found the weather website you mentioned and realized this was the place to go at this time of year...and you just confirmed it!

We have 10 nights to spend in CR. I am thinking Peace Lodge for a couple of nights, Tree House in the middle, and maybe ending in Xandari...does that make sense? Should we maybe cut down on the Central region and spend more time on the Carribean?

Are there any other nice/nicer places we should consider on the Carribean coast instead of the Tree House? Are there restaurants and/or places to stock up on food nearby? Is the drinking water safe in this region? How developed is this area...similar at all to Playa Tamarindo...more or less? I think we'll probably want to hire someone to drive us to and from the San Jose area...but do you know if we can rent a car while we're already in the Carribean coastal region? Sorry for all the questions...I appreciate any help you can provide!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 10:18 PM

Take a look at Casa Viva on Punta Uva beach,www.greencoast.com (click on Viva) The wife and I love this place. The acres of tropical gardens with the birds and monkeys add to the delight and bliss of the area. Punta Uva is about 6kms south of Puerto Viejo. There are restaurants near by and also a good food store north a km or two. Transport vans can get you there for $25 pp if you don't drive or bus. Taxis are also in the area. Bikes are rented in various places PV to Punta Uva.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 04:55 AM

I think your itinerary sounds right on, Misha; not too rushed, and a good mix of the country. It is very hard to beat time in the central valley--such a beautiful area offering so much!

I think the Treehouse would be a fun place to stay and such an adventure!
Have you looked at the website?

Not familiar with Earthtraveler's recommendation, but know he would certainly steer you in the right direction. And to second his comments, it is lots of fun to rent bicycles in this area. You can do some snorkeling here as well.

Puerto Viejo is a LITTLE like Tamarindo in that it is something of a party town for the young and wild but at the same time very different. You'll sense that the minute you arrive on the Caribbean coast at Limon and head south toward PV. Manzanillo is a great little town at the end of the road--nothing there to speak of, but VERY laid back. We love it there.
You won't have any trouble finding groceries there or in PV.

Also in Manzanillo, there is a fabulous guide named Abel Bustamante (if you're interested, I can give you his phone number). He is a very nice guy who knows and loves the area. Hire him for $25 and he'll spend as much of the day as you'd like showing you the area--animals, birds, you name it. Good way to pass a few hours.

Also, Cahuita Parque Nacional is an excellent place to visit while you're down there.

We stayed at Aguas Claras (little colorful gingerbread cottages on the beach--short walk through the trees) last year and loved it there. We made our coffee every morning in the little kitchen with tap water. They have a wonderful little deli style restaurant there. Owned by Flore and Mario--very nice couple. You might check it out online. www.aguasclaras-cr.com/

Another cool place to stay is Almonds & Corals tent camp. Water there was NOT potable, as of October, 2004. But I think you'll find that it is fine to drink almost without exception. Almonds & Corals was a fun place as well--very upscale tents! The only drawback there is that you pay for an all-inclusive plan (unless there has been a change) and we wanted to eat out except for breakfast.

Cariblue and Shawanda Lodge would both be good choices as well. They are on the other side of the road from the beach.

4 nights on the Caribbean side would probably be plenty. 2 nights Peace Lodge, 4 Caribbean, leaves 4 nights.

I don't want to junk up a very nice itinerary, (and we tend to skip around a bit), but on the way back to town from the Caribbean, you could leave the main road, drive up north an hour or so, and spend a couple of nights at La Quinta de Sarapiqui or Selva Verde. I think you would enjoy touring La Selva Biological Station with a guide and maybe doing an hour long slow cruise down the Rio Sarapiqui. Then on to Xandari for your last 2 nights.

OR you could head right back toward San Jose, maybe spending a night in town and doing an overnight white water trip on the Pacuare before ending up for R&R your last 2 nights at Xandari. . .just a couple of options should you be interested in branching out during those last 4 nights in the central valley.

What a great trip you have! I think that, for a honeymoon, you are very smart to book the 2 luxury locations at the beginning and end of your trip and putting the adventure stuff in the middle. Perfect!
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 05:06 AM

Let me clarify. Almonds & Corals had signs posted in the tents that the water was not potable. What I should have said was that it is fine to drink ALMOST everywhere unless you are told otherwise. I shouldn't have said "without exception"!

And if you are there, be sure to eat out one night at La Pecora Nera--excellent restaurant italiano. Quite a treat.

I'm not sure about renting a vehicle while there, but can tell you it would be nice to have one, allowing you to explore up and down the coast from Cahuita to Manzanillo and inland to BriBri at your leisure. The drive from San Jose is not difficult, once you get out of town onto the Braulio Carillo highway. It would also be nice to have a vehicle if you want to drive up north and spend a night or two near the Rio Sarapiqui on your way back to Xandari.

Abel would know about a rental agency there in Puerto Viejo (surely there IS one). So would Eddie Ryan who owns La Costa de Papito, little hotel just south of Puerto Viejo. You could contact him by accessing that hotel website--same website as Earthtraveler gave you (Green Coast).

Good luck!
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 10:09 AM

Once again...thank you so much!
I looked at the website for the Tree House and it looks amazing! It looks like we are going to stay at the "Beach Suite" on the property...I guess the suite opened in September 2005. Have you seen the pics of this particular Suite...the bathroom looks wild...we can't wait?

I checked out all of the other places that were mentioned...but I am not sure if we want to squeeze in a fourth place...and I think we're looking for something a little less rustic.

On the other hand...I saw this great place called Punta Caracol in Boca Del Toro, Panama. If we extended our trip to maybe 11 nights...do you think we could fit this in...or is it too far away? Do you know how long it would take to get there from Punta Uva if we drove?

Another question...we like Peace Lodge and Xandari in the Central Valley region...but we are not yet set on these places. Are there any other places in this area, similar to these, that we should consider instead? We're looking for a small barefoot luxury type of place with a very open-air feeling with outdoor showers?

I am so excited that we are finally narrowing it down...it's been a long road...but I am finally feeling like this is exactly what we were looking for. I've learned that it is very difficult to plan a honeymoon in October because of the weather. By the way...any risk of hurricanes on the southern Caribean coast at this time of year...please say no?!
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 07:43 PM

No! Hurricanes don't pose much of a problem in CR. Too far south. At least not directly. Hurricanes to the north can definitely affect the rain patterns in CR, as they did last fall.

Beach House would be a good choice as well. And I don't think you should second guess your Peace Lodge/Xandari choices. They both get good reviews.

As for Bocas del Toro, I don't know anything about that--wish I did! There have been a few posts about it, though, so why don't you try using the search function and see what it says? I don't think it is a day trip. Would need a couple of nights. But you could do it easily with your 10 nights. 2 PL, 3 or 4 Beach House, 2 Bocas del Toro, and so on. You have the time. In your case, a fourth destination is very doable because you are using your first and last stops and R & R places. Places to spend the nights when you first arrive and just before you leave. Go for it!!!
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 07:18 AM

I have gotten terribly confused in this thread, not sure which honeymooner I am answering!!

But for the one with the Bocas in Panama question - remember that is in Panama. Keep in mind that if you are driving you can not take your rental vehicle across the border. Otherwise I think that Bocas del Toro would be an excellent addition to Costa Rica's Southern Caribbean trip. I have that one saved in my Panama file for a future trip.

As already mentioned - hurricanes are not typically a threat to CR as a direct hit. However, hurricanes are the cause of the unusually heavy rainy season in 2005 that flooded so many regions.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 12:36 PM

Okay - I have a few more questions!

I don't think we are going to do the Panama thing this time. But instead would it be too much for us to go up to the Arenal area? We have been there once before but really enjoyed it. Is it too much driving to do Arenal, Puerto Viejo, and Central Valley area in 10-11 days...taking into consideration we don't want to do too much driving?

Shillmac - I am also reconsidering the Pacuare white water rafting idea...but am trying to figure out exactly where this is...is it between PV and SJ? How far is it from San Jose...or should we stay some where around Pacuare. Is the Rio Sarapiqui the same place? I saw a place called Sueno Azul...and you mentioned earlier Selva Verde...which one do you think is better for us? Sorry...kind of confused about this one?

Another decision...we are now trying to choose between 4 locations around the San Jose area...Peace Lodge, Xandari, Vista Del Valle, and Finca Rosa Blanca...any thoughts...how do they rank in terms of our interests listed above?

Any thoughts from anyone would be much appreciated...thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information