Search

rainforest day trips from Panama City?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rainforest day trips from Panama City?

Hi there!

We will be staying in Panama City for a few days in August and I was wondering if anyone had advice as to day trips into the rainforest? We're interested in seeing animals more than we are birds.

One option seems to be the Smithsonian Barro Colorado trip (http://www.stri.si.edu/english/visit...rado/visit.php).

Another option seems to be one of the two day trips at Canopy Tower Lodge (http://www.canopytower.com/Day-visits).

Another option is to take a wildlife tour of the canal, though we do like the idea of at least a short hike through the rainforest so that's less appealing to us.

Has anyone done any of these? What was it like? Would you recommend a different experience that I haven't found in my research?

Thanks!
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi, does anyone have any ideas or advice about rainforest day trips from the city?
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 08:27 PM

You may want to look at the day tours offered by Ancon Expeditions.We did a day trip with them to Soberania Park,but I believe the focus was on birds.The Barro Colorado trip you mention would probably offer you the best chance at seeing animals-ie monkeys,sloths to name a few possible animals you may encounter.
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Great, thanks. I will look into them. Unfortunately the Barro Colorado trip is only available on the one day we cannot do, so we are leaning more towards Canopy Tower. I will check out Ancon's trips and pricing.

If anyone has other recommendations, do let me know.

Thanks!
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 07:32 AM

We didn't go when we were there, but I had heard that the Parque Metropolitano that is right in PC has some great wildlife to see. With wildlife, earlier morning (before 8 a.m.) and closer to dusk are most active times. We took a trip in a cayuca canoe to an embera tribe and I was surprised at how cool the river was, with lots of birds, monkeys, etc. along the shore, not to mention other people plying the river in their canoes.