Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip to the top of the Eiffel Tower - would it be more memorable visiting during the day or night?

Trip to the top of the Eiffel Tower - would it be more memorable visiting during the day or night?

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:16 AM
Jane

Hi Im visiting Paris for the first time with my boyfriend and wondered what would be the best time to visit the Eiffel Tower. Would it be better to visit during the day or would the view be more breathtaking during the night?

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:35 AM
Rex

I've been to the top on a perfect weather day, and I've been part way up (Jules Verne) at night - - and both are excellent.<BR><BR>It's kinda like another romantic activity (trying to be diplomatic here) - - day and night are both great.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:58 AM
Statia

I agree with Rex. I've been to see it both day and night (only to the top during the day, though). Each visit held a different kind of magic.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:25 AM
up

for Jane<BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:48 AM
Jinx Hoover

Why not go a little before sundown? You can have it both ways (it's great to see the lights come on all over the city). Plan on staying a couple of hours.<BR><BR>Regards, <BR><BR>Jinx Hoover

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:36 AM
adele

I've gone at early evening and watched the city light up and it was wonderful and later at night on a clear and cool evening and it, too, was wonderful. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:16 AM
JohnG

Definitely at sundown.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:58 AM
Rachel

Before I went to Paris the first time, I thought going to the top of the Eiffel Tower was a bit cheesy, something that you had to do once just to say you had but that was probably over-rated and touristy. Boy, was I wrong! It is beautiful day or night, but best is right at sundown. That is a must every time we visit Paris.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:23 PM
crusty

As a kid I can vividly remember hearing my mother saying &quot;don't bother going to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower&quot;. Did I listen? No<BR><BR>More is better and if they charge more... it must be better. 30 years later given the choice I went for the extra expense, extra time and effort to go to the top. What did I find? <BR><BR>From the top or the tower (especially at night), Paris looks like any other major city. My advice:<BR><BR>Don't bother going to go to the top of the Eiffel tower... stay at the lower level where thou can get a better birds view of Paris&quot;.<BR><BR>Also, you can think of plenty more interesting things to do during the day.<BR><BR>Really, no matter what you wdo it will be great. Have Fun

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:48 PM
Patrick

I've been there in the day, and been there at night. But I agree with others, the best is to arrive just before sunset and see both. It is simply amazing.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:55 PM
Quinty

Is it really crowded to get there around sunset?<BR>Also, when I'm there, sunset is supposed to be around 5:45.<BR>What time should I get to the tower to take advantage of this great view (of the lights turning on in the city, etc.)?

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:57 PM
Betsy

You know I've been to Paris numerous times and I've never been to the top of the Eiffel Tower. Why? I don't think I'd like a view of Paris WITHOUT the Eiffel Tower in it!. Just a preference. Anyway, not to dampen your spirits, if you go at night be highly aware of pickpockets which seem to be more prevelant at night in the tower area, though they're certainly there in the day too. all.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:26 PM
rising

ever so romantically...<BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:00 PM
gand

I've been twice. The first time was at night. Very nice to look over the city, but when the tower &quot;sparkles&quot; on the hour, and you are on it, it looks cool.<BR><BR>I preferred the daylight view because you get to look at the city and the view is amazing. <BR><BR>I think it is worth going twice or (like posted above) 1/2 hour to 45 minutes before sunset. Sunset will depend on what time of the year you go. Shouldn't be too touristy in Feb. Weather will make a bigger difference though if you are worried there may be a line for the elevators.