Rain in August?

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 06:18 AM
AKS

Rain in August?

I'm planning a trip to Costa Rica in August. I know it's the rainy season, but I can't find much information about how rainy it will be--or what the temperature will be. Can anyone help? Is it worth going there in August? Thanks!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Iza

We visited Costa Rica twice in August - last year and the year before.
The amount of rain and temperatures will vary greatly depending on where you are in the country. We visited these areas:
San Jose area: temperatures in the 70s during the day, cool at night, it rained a few times mostly in the afternoons and at night.
Manuel Antonio/Quepos: Hotter and more humid than San Jose area but we still did not need A/C, we had some rain in the morning of one of the 3 days we spent there and one day was overcast. Otherwise the weather was very good.
Osa Penninsula: Extremely humid but not hotter than in other areas of CR, we had some afternoon rain on one or two days, it made the hiking muddy but otherwise did not bother us.
Arenal: overcast and rain on and off most of the time we were there. Cool and damp. We were not able to see the volcano except for a very brief clearing the first evening.
Tamarindo area: sunny and mostly dry most days with just an occassional storm in the afternoon/evening. The best weather we had of all of CR.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 01:21 PM
David N Cook

I would 2nd what Iza is saying, don't let it stop you from going but take a hat and a small fold-up umbrella! I found it hot & humid (A/C feels nice)near the coast, mild and near-perfect in San Jose/Meseta Central.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 11:11 AM
nancy

we are visiting costa rica mid july 2002. any weather info for this time of year?

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Iza

Mid July should be about the same as the first half of August which is when we visited. I wouldn't hesitate to go at that time. Occassional rain which we experienced really did not detract from the experience. We never had a full day of rain - even at Arenal area the rain stopped for quite a few hours so that we could enjoy the hot springs ;-)