Search

Costa Rica Little Summer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 11:14 AM
Kirsten

Costa Rica Little Summer

Hi-<BR>We are planning a trip to CR this coming summer. Not quite sure if we should go in June or July. I know it is the rainy season, but when exactly does this &quot;little summer&quot; occur? Does anybody have any suggestions? Also, I am trying to make a choice between staying in the Monteverde area or in the Arenal area. I know it is very different, but which is more worth a visit? Any advice is greatly appreciated.<BR>Kirsten

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 01:04 PM
David Cook

&quot;Little Summer&quot; is something the local CofC dreamed up to make you think that rainy season wont be too bad; sometimes they call it &quot;green season&quot;. It doesnt really matter anyway. The fact is that rainy season is from about May through Oct; its wettest on the east coast, moderate in the central plain and driest on the Pacific side, especially the Nicoya Pen. Don't let any of this change your plans; it usually rains the the afternoon or evening, and not that much. In 1 week, you might experience 1 real deluge; the rest, maybe showers. Others may say it rained the whole time; who can tell? Rainy season rates are usually lower also. Both Monte and Arenal have their unique charms. I feel there is a bit more to see and do in the Arenal area: active volcano, hot spgs and waterfall, etc. They are not that far apart if you want to try both. The back road between the two can be done easily, if its not raining! Good luck, you'll have fun no matter when you go!

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 02:57 PM
Iza

David may be right about the travel industry inventing the term, although I have heard the locals talk about it too. It usually is a period of about 6 weeks between mid July and mid August. We have gone to Costa Rica twice, both times in August. Both times we had some rain but definitely not enough to spoil our vacation. In fact, I am definitely planning our third trip there, and it will be in July or August. <BR>From our experience, Nicoya Penninsula has the best weather in the rainy season (in 2001 we spent 4 days in <BR>Tamarindo in August with no rain, in 2000 we spent 6 days there with maybe 2 afternoon storms), Manuel Antonio was a close second. It was cloudy and rainy in Arenal so we did not see the volcano. Osa was mostly cloudy and very humid with storms rolling in daily. In SJ area we had rain mostly at night.<BR>

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 04:26 PM
David Cook

Iza is right about that darn Arenal volcano, even on a good day it seems to have a few clouds at the top to obscure what is going on. I have been up toward it on a clear night, however, and it was a spectacular sight, a little peek into the earth's inner workings. You left with a little more respect for &quot;our Mother&quot;! Later we went for a hot spring swim in total darkness.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Kirsten

Posters-<BR>thanks a million for the helpful info..<BR>Kirsten

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 04:12 AM
M

little summer is a Tico expression for a period that is usually only about two weeks long...Ticos actually refer to it by some saint's name..anyway, the rainy season is nicer than the high season,so just make plans and come...one can never guarantee seeing the volcanos no matter what season it is

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 05:43 AM
Ilka

Green Season is the same as Rainy Season and runs from May through late October or early November. Little Summer or as they say here Veranillo are 2 to 3 weeks in July when the wind blows hard and there is no rain. The schools in Costa Rica have a 3 week vacation at that time to enjoy the dry weather.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 01:42 PM
hope

DAVID: we also visited a hot spring place near the Arenal Volcano when we were there a few years ago, and it was suprisingly the best part of the tour (after the Windmills). Do you remember the name of the place? It was on the local tourist trail. PS The day we were there, the volcano was clear &amp; classic.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 06:34 PM
David Cook

Hope, I dont remember anything about the spgs since we were taken there by a guide as part of the volcano tour that nite. I do remember Fortuna Falls as we went there on our own the next day - spectacular! A tricky climb down and back up again but well worth the trip!