Questions related to El Dorado Royale

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2003, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About to book October trip and would appreciate information about quality of food, room recommendations and night life. Also, do the run an evening shuttle to Cancun night spots and how is the disco on property? Anyone been there lately ?
Thanks !!!
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 11:19 AM

Gval - we were there in March here is cut of a report I posted then.

Left Cancun Tuesday morning and went to our next location, the ElDorado Royale Spa and Resort at Punta Brava just north of Playa Del Carmen, where we spent the rest of the week.

Arrived at ElDorado Resort on Tuesday morning. We used a cab from Cancun and it cost $30 for trip. ElDorado is a wonderful resort, and we enjoyed it much more than Cancun. The rooms are excellent, very large and all rooms have a jacuzzi big enough for two people. Great marble bathrooms, king size beds, very nice decor. We had the standard room, which is the Junior Suite, and it was very nice. The resort offers a variety of dining options, and all but one is ala carte. The only buffet offered is at breakfast but you can also do breakfast ala carte. There are four reservation only dining options which are quite popular and have to be booked early. These include Italian, Oriental, Mexican, and a Steak House. We did the Italian (excellent) and the Steak House (very good). The non-reservation dining options are very good as well. Drinks are top notch, not watered down at all, and good brand name liquors. The beach is rocky in places but overall pretty good. The only thing the resort was short on was water sports, offering kayaks and paddle boats, but no sail boats. The kayaks were quite fun. The resort has built some break waters out from the beach so that makes the water smoother, much better than Cancun. The resort has a main pool and several smaller ones. All but one have swim up bars. A variety of activities are offered during the day by the very good activity staff (Fernando the director is very good). Overall an excellent resort and one that we would return to without hesitation.

We went off the resort one day for snorkeling at the Maromar Beach Club which was OK - not too many fish out that day. We also took a taxi into Playa Del Carmen for some shopping. PDC is very nice town and lots of shopping - many chances to spend your money. ElDorado does offer free bus into PDC in the evenings, leaving at 6 and returning at 10, but we wanted to go in during the day so had to use taxi at cost of about $15 each way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: Curt
Date: 04/14/2003, 12:36 pm

We stayed at ElDorado until Saturday when we sadly had to return to the real world. We had a wonderful time. I would recommend ElDorado without hesitation to anyone heading to this part of Mexico. We would not go back to Cancun except to use the airport. Cancun to us was just another big string of hotels

Old Aug 21st, 2003, 11:22 AM

Gval
we did not do the shuttle to Cancun but know it runs afternoon and returns late evening. There were also excursions to the Cancun discos offered (we did not do these). There is a nightly show which is fun and the bar at the show area is very good. We liked this resort a lot, but not that it is the Royale Resort and Spa, north of PDC, not the ElDorado south of PDC. Owned by same people but Royale is better
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 11:23 AM

make that "note that"
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Curt.....thanks for the information, I'll book today !!!!
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 05:20 AM

Gval
if your budget allows try to book the beach front bungalows that have the private outdoor showers. They are pretty neat, although even the regular room like we had is excellent. Also, as soon as you arrive and get checked in go over to the area where you reserve meal times in the four eating venues and get that taken care of. They fill up fast and early bird gets the best times. Do not worry if you can not get reservations every night as the open seating dining area has excellent food as well. See if Jorge is working the beachfront bar just beyond the main pool and if so have him make you a drink called a Humming Bird. He is the only one that can make it correctly. This is a drink we learned to love at Sandals Negril and we showed Jorge how to make it for us and he is quite good at making them (think banana/strawberry/rum cream/kaluha smoothie)...oh so good. Have a ball I think you will like this resort.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Curt....that's scary. My wife was introduced to Humming Birds at Sandals Negril 4 years ago. Since then we have returned 6 or 7 times to various resorts in Jamaica and our last stop is always the liquor store at the airport for Rum Cream. Try Tia Maria instead of Kaluha.
Thanks for all the information.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 10:19 AM

Yep I usually use Tia Maria but since I carried back cheap Kalaha from Mexico I am making mine at home with that right now. We can find Rum Cream here on sporadic basis; when the liquor store gets it in I always buy several bottles to store away. Am getting low down to my last two bottles and none in stock at present time....I have also found that in pinch when no Rum Cream one can use Bailey's Irish Cream and results are similar.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

One more request. If we elected to stay in a Oceanview Jr. Suite does anyone have a Building and/or room number recommendation.
Thanks