Search

Puntarenas, Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Gregg

Puntarenas, Costa Rica

Planning on going to Costa Rica in July. Have read mixed reviews on Puntarenea (where I plan to use Marriott points, i.e. stay for free for 7 days) Can anyone please comment on <BR>1. Costa Rica in July <BR>2. Puntarenas (beaches, places to eat, travel times to other locations, and/or the Marriott)<BR>3. Recommended Tours

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Terri

Gregg: IMO, Puntarenas is the armpit of Costa Rica. Having said that though, don't be dissuaded from the Los Suenos Marriott, which is not in the city of Puntarenas, but rather is on Herradura Bay which is closed to Jaco. I haven't stayed there, but passed by on my last trip and it looked like a beautiful resort. But really, stay away from the city of Puntarenas (unless you're catching a boat to somewhere else).<BR>We traveled to Costa Rica in June/July of last year and it was was absolutely fabulous. (Shhhh - just our secret.) Beautiful clear mornings for the most part followed by brief rain showers in the late afternoon, followed by spectacular lightening shows in the evening. <BR>Tours: Isla Tortuga, Carara Biological Reserve, Manuel Antonio, to name a few.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Gregg

Thank you for the info! I'm glad to hear that the Marriott is not in the city. As far as seeing the sites, what is the best way to get around CR, as it appears that the parks are spread throughout the country. Are there guided tours, or is a car needed? Seems that most visitors stay in different areas for a few days at a time whereas I'd be forced to return to Puntarenas each night. I've also read about Dengue - is this anything to be concerned about out there?

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Sue

Most hotels and lodges will have a list of things to see and do from the hotel and most likely will be able to help you arrange to see/do them.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 10:53 PM
Jalayne

We stayed at a resort in the Guanacaste region last year,and took several guided trips on buses-each had a driver,as well as a college-educated guide who was extremely well informed.The buses were comfortable,but beware the roads are terrible!We got used to the driver hitting the ditches which had fewer potholes than the road.The driver was great at spotting wildlife from the road and pulling over so the guide could point it out.We loved Arenal Volcano-it was clear that night,and the lava show was awesome!We took a day trip that included lunch at a resort on the lake,then an afternoon in the hot springs followed by dinner at Tabacon Resort and volcano viewing after dark.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 05:32 AM
debbie

can anyone tell me how far it is from the Marriott Los Suenos to the Caribbean Village Fiesta in Puntarenas? Anyone?

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 07:37 AM
Terri

Gregg: I agree with Sue above - the Marriott will be able to arrange day tours for you. As far as dengue fever, use really good insect repellant and keep your arms and legs covered around dawn and dusk. Mosquitos love me and I did get a few bites, but no malaria or dengue (which, by the way, one can get in Hawaii). You might the CDC website as it gives good information about the specific locations in Costa Rica where you might encounter dengue.