Search

Puerto Vallarta with child

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerto Vallarta with child

Hi, I am a single parent going to PV the week before Christmas. We are staying at Velas Vallarta. Does anyone have any ideas besides SPLASH to do with an 8-yr-old? Also, are there child-friendly restaurants I should know about other than the resort? Thanks!
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:47 AM

I am sure there are plenty of restaurants, but the one that comes to mind is Pipi's. It's fun, a little noisy in a good way. My sisters two kids enjoyed it and they are 13 and 5.
Look into Vallarta Adventures company.
www.vallartaadventures.com
They should have something.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 08:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There's what appears to be pretty gentle horseback rides you can hire down near Playa Los Muertos beach (they ride around the cobblestone streets of that neighborhood). Also innertubes to rent on the beach.

Get ice cream cones from Dolphys or Bings then walk along The Malecon one evening. Lots of families both tourist and local do that.

As long as you go with casual restaurants in town I can't think of one that isn't kid-friendly! Mexican people are extremely family oriented.

But I'm thinking Velas Vallarta is out in Nuevo, is that right? I ask only because I doubt you'll be coming to town for meals if you're resort is in Nuevo (~1 hour drive).

Hmmm... and there's a go-cart park somewhere I heard about. Not sure if it's still there or if it's age appropriate for you.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the info. lvitaly and suze. I will keep your suggestions. Suze, I think Velas Vallarta is in Marina Vallarta -- is that in Nuevo? I'm not sure, having never been there before. But, even though this resort is all-inclusive, I would like to venture out a couple of times. Thanks again!
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 02:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oops, no, sorry. "The Marina" is between the airport and downtown, so a great location. You can easily taxi or even take a local bus to town.

"Nuevo Vallarta" is the newer resort area out north approx. 1 hour's drive.

When you see a map of PV as it sits around the Bay of Banderas you'll get an idea of the lay of the land, and the different parts of town easy enough. Have fun!
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, suze!
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 08:44 PM

hola, yes the villas vallarta is smack dab in the middle of the north hotel zone, not to be confused with grand velas away up north near bucerias. here is a hotel map; im sure there are more than one out there and perhaps you can find a better one on your own than this one but here you are anyways... http://www.beachdestinations.com/Sha...llarta_Map.htm and your location darling its fabulous. couldnt ask for better. the safety and security of a top notch AI resort plus being within easy reach of the hustle & bustle of town - its perfect.
splash waterpark is fun. arrive at 10 30 am or so and immediately find out when the parrot show and the dolphin show are both offered (dolphin show is well hidden way to the back at the north end). rent a big yellow tube and float along on the lazy river as its called, or slide down certain of the slides on it. good way to spend the better part of the day.
there is an eco aspect to being in pv in that you may just catch the very tail end of the turtle release experience. turtle season ends nov.
or dec. last yr when i was there i saw baby turtles being released south of the marina over xmas holiday. there are turtle eggs collected every night all up and down the beaches followed by them
being hatched and released usually the following evng, sunset-ish. if you get in touch with a biologist type ahh what an experience that would be for your 8 yr old. eco-logica.org will connect you to a chap named oscar who scours the beach and welcomes people to join him as i understand it.
there are many beaches that are not easily accessible by land so a boat adventure is what you may need. i suggest caletas during the day tour.
as to restaurants, a few of the more kid friendly would be red cabbage, el arrayan, dacquiri dicks, memo's pancake house. i read about a restaurant near buenaventura hotel called northern delights that has such taste treats as meatloaf and mac n cheese. shall we say picky eaters?
i was forever looking for seashells last yr when i was there, even bot some from street vendors and looked for then at the little shops. there are also ceramic or papier mache decorations of red peppers or various veggies or fruit on hemp rope that was interesting to me and i was always on the lookout for those. you can order up some such item on your to do list and make a game of it when you go to town.
i am determined to venture up a cliff to a restaurant ontop with a wonderful view one day when i go back down next month. late afternoon is my preference even moreso than sunset for taking photos. the light is still strong, colours still vibrant betwn 4 and about 7. the taxiride up im told is very scary. that ought to be abit of fun yes? the restaurant i have in mind is quite rustic called las carmelitas. maybe we can go together? ill be in pv dec 19. anyroad, enjoy yourselves!