Search

Puerto Vallarta Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2014, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerto Vallarta Trip Report

Just back from 5 days (Feb 13 -17) in Puerto Vallarta. My husband and I have traveled a lot in Europe, but this was our first trip to Mexico. I researched Puerto Vallarta on Fodors (thanks Suze!!), so I felt I should pay-it-forward with a trip report of my own.

As background, my husband and I are in our 40s and typically enjoy immersing ourselves in the culture of a place more than lounging by the pool in isolated, fancy resorts. I picked PV because it seemed to offer a greater cultural experience than some other beach destinations. Overall – Wow. PV exceeded our expectations in dining, shopping, exploring, people watching, weather and overall friendliness and ambiance.

Thursday - Arriving in PV, the airport was a piece of cake. Sure there were a few “timeshare reps” waiting to sell us the latest deal, but we just passed by and grabbed a taxi downtown. First impressions were fabulous. The airport was clean and well-organized, the taxis were easy to locate and affordable, and the taxi driver was super-friendly and eager to point out the restaurants and fun parts of town as we passed by.

Check-in at the Hotel Catedral located near the Cathedral downtown went smoothly. We were greeted by friendly and helpful staff. The Hotel Catedral is clean, affordable, and very centrally located. I was a little disappointed that the small bathroom didn’t have an electric outlet and that the storage space for clothing was limited. We had a room facing the courtyard, and the courtyard amplified the noise of people and traffic in the morning. The Catedral is near to the hotel, so yes – the church bells do start at 5 am. Overall, I enjoyed the hotel, but I might look into a beachfront hotel or condo on our next trip.

By late afternoon we were strolling through downtown (north of the Cual), the romantic zone (south of the Cual), and among the markets on the island between these two areas. We were amazed by just how much there was to do and see! We walked along the Malecon, bought tacos from street vendors (go for it!,.. no, we did not get sick), took photos of the ocean views, and stopped to relax and enjoy Coronas, shrimp skewers, and guacamole under the shade of restaurant umbrellas on the beach. We marveled at the perfect blend of locals, tourists, and expats that filled the area. Based on our experience, PV is neither a “young, party-going college kids” nor a “Disneyland with children running everywhere” experience, but more of an older, more relaxed crowd. – We enjoyed a quiet, romantic dinner at Daiquiri Dicks. I wouldn’t say it was a culinary experience, but dinner was nice and the waterfront setting was lovely.

Friday – After more shopping and strolling around town, we took a 30 minute ride on a local bus from Calle Constitucion to the Botanical Gardens. Other tourists were on the bus and we exchanged experiences. Although aged, the bus felt very safe and the driver helped point-out our stop for us. The bus ride itself offered beautiful views of the coast, private houses, and luxury hotels. Although slightly lacking, in my view, of flora, the Gardens offered several pleasant short hikes through the jungle. It was a worthwhile side-trip from PV. Plan to spend 30 minutes on the bus each way, and about one 1.5 hours at the Gardens. Back in PV we enjoyed a light dinner at the tapas bar NU. The food and service were both very good.

Saturday- Off to Yelapa! The tourists from the bus to the Botanic Gardens recommended traveling to Yelapa, and we followed their advice. As they suggested, we rode a local bus from Calle Constitucion to Boca Tomatlan (less than 30 minutes). After enjoying a little time wandering and enjoying Boca Tomatlan, we took a water taxi to Yelapa. (The alternative is taking a water taxi from Puerto Vallarta to Yelapa, but that is a longer, bumpy boat ride. Plus our option gave us a chance to explore Boca Tomatlan.)
Yelapa is wonderful (go there to relax). You can read all about it online. All I can say is honestly, Don’t miss the Pie Lady! W-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l.

By evening, we were back in PV and getting ready for the Rhythm of the Night (through Vallarta- Adventures). We took a taxi from our hotel to the Maritime Terminal (located near to, but not at the marina – too far to walk). The Rhythm starts at the Meritime Terminal where Vallarta-Adventures arranged a cruise across the bay to a private beachfront area lined with tiki torches. There, we enjoyed a Cirque de Soleil-type show and a buffet dinner. Note that the show occurs in an amphitheater, and then you are shuffled off to separate dining areas (our table for two was right on the beach, while larger groups were seated in other dining areas). Overall, we thought it was nice, affordable experience and a unique way to spend an evening. I’d recommend it for first-timers to PV.

Sunday - On our last full day in PV, we took the opportunity to walk, shop, and adventure through the town and among the hills behind the cathedral. We also walked all along the beach and found tranquil places to sit and take it all in. Dinner was at Langostinos. Without reservations, we easily found a table for two on the beach. Just picture it -- warm night, big moon, frou-frou drink in hand, and feet in the sand. Aaaahh. The service was excellent and we and enjoyed a meal of grilled snapper and tequila shrimp. We watched the fireworks along the beach off in the distance.

Monday morning – Off to the airport and back home. We learned that many tourists return to PV over and over again. This was our first trip… and after our first experience we are already dreaming of finding our way back soon.

Thanks again to Suze on Fodors. Much credit to you for showing us the way.
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 06:06 AM

Great report! We spent the month of October in Puerto Vallarta. Reading your report brings back great memories.
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 08:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Bravo!!! Thanks so much for your wonderful report. It's so inspiring for me to see how much you did. And love it when Vallarta makes a good first impression (it is a special place). I have to say you did more touring around in your short trip than I've done in 20+ repeat visits -lol!

Thanks again for posting. My pleasure to have helped a bit in your planning.
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the great report! We were in PV from 2/13 - 2/21, also for the first time, and share your enthusiasm for the mix of people, variety of things to do. Wasn't the weather fantastic?
Unfortunately, we got hooked by a very talented Time Share salesperson and found ourselves trapped for a few minutes! They are good!! Couldn't figure out the taxi situation, so ended up paying $18.00 for the 5 minute ride to the hotel! Argh, felt really dumb, especially when the return trip was only $5.00. Experience is the best teacher, so next time we'll not make the same mistake!
We stayed on the beach at the Westin Marina. While it was about 15 minutes to the centro, we liked the combo of relaxing beach vacation, walking and people-watching on the esplanade, and being close enough to see the rest of PV.
We took a bus to Boca as well, but only took the water taxi as far as Ocean Grill, unbelievable restaurant!
We engaged a guide to show us around the city for a few hours the day after we arrived so we got a very good overview of the different neighborhoods and our guide, Daniel from Superior Tours, was so friendly and knowledgeable. Good company, very responsive.
Other restaurants we enjoyed - Casa Isabel, Vista Grill .. and Olive at the Marina. Wonderful pizza.
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Glad you are all reading and enjoy the report. Yes Suze, we sure did stay busy! Thanks Laurela for the additional restaurant recommendations... good notes for next time.

I should make a call-out to Cafe San Angel. I had the BEST banana crepes ever at this cafe. So good that I went back twice. Wish I could have them now. Mmmm.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 08:34 AM

ended up paying $18.00 for the 5 minute ride to the hotel! Argh, felt really dumb, especially when the return trip was only $5.00

Laurela, The taxis that are allowed to pick up from the airport are federally regulated (white cars). I'm not sure about the $18 (does sound high) but taxis do typically cost about twice leaving the airport, what the return trip will be in a town taxi (yellow). So don't feel too "dumb"!
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 09:07 AM

Those Federally Plated airport taxis are not allowed to pick up passengers anywhere off airport property and, thus, have to return to the airport empty, that's the main reason they are more expensive.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 07:13 PM

Thanks! I'm heading to PV next month and appreciate all the good info.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 08:29 AM

wtm003, Please let us know if you have any questions. Happy to help if we can.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 05:01 PM

Thanks suze. I'm sure I'll be asking for help in the next few weeks.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 08:39 AM

Thanks, Suze and Cabron! I feel much better!!!
Just can't wait to go back!!!
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 06:38 AM

Thanks for posting this. We were in PV about 5 years ago and haven't been back since because of safety concerns due to media reports. Looking forward to planning my next trip to Mexico, not sure if it'll be PV but somewhere warm and sunny.
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 07:42 AM

<been back since because of safety concerns due to media reports>

There are no "safety concerns" in the Puerto Vallarta area.
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 10:50 AM

You missed 5 years of great vacationing for nothing ;-) suze
Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 08:06 AM

tanita
The locals here have suffered a great deal because of the media scaremongers
Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 07:56 AM

The correct taxi rate by Airport Taxi is 200 pesos for up to 3 passengers and baggage.
http://vallartainfo.com/puerto-valla...t.html#airport
Old Sep 6th, 2015, 08:12 AM

In regard to safety concerns, I was at a meeting of Spanish-speaking people at a local restaurant in Spokane. I was sitting next to a Mexican doctor. I told him I'd like to go to Mexico but that I was afraid it was dangerous.

He said, "It's not dangerous. I lived in Detroit for five years. THAT was dangerous.

I am going to Puerta Vallarta in October of this year. Suze has been a great help.
Old Sep 6th, 2015, 08:50 AM

There may be certain places in Mexico that are "dangerous" for tourists. But Puerto Vallarta isn't one of them.

I forgot about this nice Trip Report, thanks for bringing it back up!
Old Sep 6th, 2015, 01:39 PM

Nice!
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 05:38 AM

After re-reading the report
"Calle Constitucion to the Botanical Gardens." that bus, which is the El Tuito bus, leaves from Aguacate and Carranza.