Comments on Hotel Lagunita in Puerto Vallarta

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are considering staying at Hotel Lagunita near Puerto Vallarta for a week in April.

We're looking for quiet, warm, sunny place to read and romance. No night life needed (we're DIY night-lifers )

A few specific questions:

Snorkling: Water temp & clarity? Interesting coral? Interesting reef fish?

Lodging: Are the bungalows quiet and relatively private? Any specific ones to ask for or avoid?

Food: Decent quality at hotel? Any other options?

Posted rates are $85 (base rate) for top room rate ("honeymoon&quot $210 per couple 3 meals, alcohol & bar, taxes, & tips). Making the call depends, of course. Any advice on which is better for this hotel? (Normally we're not into AIs, but I wasn't sure if there were many food and bar options here.)

Thanks!

-- Paul
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
How near to Puerto Vallarta are we talking? You'll be mostly at the resort or plan to spend time in town also?

Snorkeling is not very good generally speaking in the Bay of Banderas. Though there are some boat tours that will take you out.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 12:46 PM

You've got to read Faithie's trip report: "Paradise FOUND !!!! ( faithies kind !)" It's all about Hotel Lagunita and Yelapa.

Good luck with your planning!

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 01:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh... Yelapa
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 02:06 PM

Indeed , read my report . Food was excellent . Basic , but great accomodations . We found the beach beautiful , pretty decent snorkelling . ( but no comparision to the Caribbean , hmmm.... reefs , not sure . )Check the report for bungalows 25 and 26 were up high in back and kind of stood alone . I posted tons of pics with lots of room shots .We loved it .
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 02:19 PM

P.S. If the main focus of this vacation is to have a splendid beach , great reefs and snorkelling . I believe its the wrong place .
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 07:39 PM

This sooo sounds like the perfect place for a quiet sunny peaceful vacation.
Thanks for more encouragement, Faithie, as well as the honest assessment of the beach/snorkeling.
Pconte (you naughty DIY night-lifer! ) one of the Fodors folks, Dyer, is there now, inspired to leave within a few days of reading Faithie's "Paradise" report. Tune in next week for that trip report! I can hardly wait--have a trip planned there for November.
BTW, Faithie, the chaperoned group date sounds great!!! One of these days? STILL haven't made it to CR. Would that not be the most perfect place for a GTG for this board's CR veterans, and future visitors?
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:33 AM

Indeed it would Cali !!! We are spoiled for choices , a nice thing .....
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:36 AM

I believe Dyer is home sometime late today !!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

One of the reasons I enjoy Fodor's is the quick, on-the-money advice...

Faithie's (and other) comments led me to scope out flights to the Yucatan, and (surprisingly to me) we can get r/t to Cancun for about the same $$$ and a pretty good schedule.

So, we're now looking at Tulum and Xcalak. I'm posting a question in a new thread.

Thanks a bunch for the help!

-- Paul
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 08:18 AM

You guys talking bout me!!!! Well, faithie prepared me for everything yet always a couple of surprises. Yelapa - 45 minute boat ride south of Puerta Vallarta. Hotel Lagunita is awesome - yet rustic. We were in room 26, faithie, and the waves sounded like a South Dakota wind storm it was so loud and near and absolutely wonderful. We were high enough above the water to not need to worry about anything. Great rock walkways, massage therapist on this walkway, (Claudia) was awesome, continue on, the pool that overlooks the ocean. The food was great, the sand surprised me. I liked the sand at Tamarindo, Costa Rica better as it was softer. This was courser in some parts of the beach, and then all of a sudden it would be soft. I went para-sailing for my first time - all right in front of the hotel. I am moving over to faithie's PARADISE FOUND (FAITHIE'S KIND) now to talk more of the town of Yelapa, itself.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 08:38 AM

Great to see you back !!! Excited to hear about it . And yeah .... in my report I tried to mention " rustic " a couple of times , and also the " coarse " sand part in the beach description . I had a lot of details , so perhaps it was overlooked !! Nonetheless , I hope you enjoyed it .