Search

Puerto Vallarta

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerto Vallarta

Husband and I thinking of bringing 2 adult children to Puerto Vallarta to spend Christmas with son working in Mexico. Looking at condo rental in Amapas, Old Town, up high, about 5 min walk to beach. Mexico-working-son is not keen and had wanted to stay in smaller beach town i.e. Bucerias, He is completely 'put-off' by PV. None of us is big on nite-life, club scenes etc and son wants us to experience 'authentic' Mexico. I'm thinking we could do day trips to some of these smaller places, which may be a little too rustic for me, but surely we would feel like we were in mexico in PV? No? Any thoughts? His idea was a little house right on the beach. Is the beach near us in PV, Los Muertos Beach pleasurable or wall to wall?? I'm trying to convince my son this would be great!!! Many thanks.
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 03:13 PM

I love PV but know is problems as well as it's attractions.
Los Muertos is often Wall to Wall with literally hundreds of peddlers constantly asking to sell you items. Some people like this I do not. However there are some smaller beaches such as the one below Lindo-mar/Conchca Chinos where no peddlers or crowds.
The South side is very Mexican but Busy. I have not stayed in Bucerias for over 20 years but know it has been heavily developed so not sure how peaceful it is anymore. You might consider Manzanillo a big town but far less touristy than PV. It has fabulous mostly empty beaches such as Playa Brisas, great cafes & the lowest crime rate in Mexico. I would highly recomend the La Posada if you can get in. Lots of rentals on that beach also.
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Not sure what to do but wish to keep this in the eye of viewers!!!
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
canadian: I am with you. I don't like too rustic, but I don't want crowds either.

Have you checked Tripadvisor? They have a pretty active PV forum and you will get more input on Bucerias etc. Mismaloya, Yelapa are also nice choices.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 05:33 AM

I wouldn't call Bucerias rustic. We stayed in a wonderful casita in Sayulita a few years ago and went to Bucerias to get cash from an ATM. It was quite developed. Loved Sayulita though - it was wonderful.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 06:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I LOVE Puerto Vallarta myself (I've been there 19 times and counting) and yes I feel like I am in Mexico when I am there (I have trouble with that "real Mexico" thing because of course since you're in Mexico, it's real). Real Mexico is a modern changing country, it's not only rustic old-fashioned villages. That said, I don't think it sounds like your son is going to appreciate PV. It is a city, for sure.

Bucerias is no more 'authentic' it's just a somewhat smaller town. You might want to look further up the coast like at San Pancho, Ricon de Guyambitos, or Sayulita?

Again I personally LOVE Playa Los Muertos and yes I find it pleasurable to walk the lenght of it most days, but yes it is also wall-to-wall people, beach bars, activties, vendors selling things, etc.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 06:55 AM

oops, Rincon de Guayabitos (is the correct spelling)
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 07:59 AM

At Christmas Bucerias, Sayulita, San Pancho and Rincon will all be busy, it's a National holiday period and the beach is where everybody goes. There are no more ' little house right on the beach." places, that I know of in this area. More like condos & villas !
The only way to avoid the crowds is to avoid the beaches, although Yelapa will be pretty laid back, except for the 2 hours when the tourist boats come.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 09:12 AM

PV is a rather large city, I don't think he'll like it. Sure, it feels like Mexico compared to the US, but it's not the same as a smaller place that is not a big tourist destination.

Why don't you go to Puerto Escondido or some place like that down on the Oaxacan cost -- just avoid the resort place Huatulco which is to be the next Cancun or something. http://www.puertoescondidoinfo.com/ If you want more rustic, try Puerto Angel. http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/1...wel-on-the-bay
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 10:01 AM

It is not a criticism of Puerto Vallarta which I think is a lovely city with incredibly friendly people, but just reality... it has a population of 250,000+ these days it's simply not a sleepy small town by any stretch of the imagination. Good point from Cabron above about most any Mexican beach destinations being busy over the Christmas to New Years holidays.
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

I thank you all so very much. Everyone is kind to not force their opinions on you and yet you all try to decipher what might be best for us...not an easy task under the circumstances of MY family!!! My sense from all of you is that P.V. while touristy is certainly NOT an unpleasant place to be. Au contraire!!! The area in which we would be staying, Amapas, Zona Romantica , Old Town...seems to be somewhat charming! We are up HIGH to be sure which means long hikes up the hill back to our rental condo, but the upside to that is fantastic views of Bandaris bay. My feeling is this. We live in Canada. How could it be anything but wonderful to have a place looking out over the ocean, with balmy temperatures, a heated pool, and a 5 minute hike to the ocean or Olas Atlas St. We're not right on the beach, and maybe that's a good thing.

Also, if we are there for 7 or 8 days, we can do day-trips into Bucerias or Sayulita ....this is our family vacation, rare when your off-spring are this age, and this spot seems right for us all.

I have another decision to make. Son who lives in Guad. thinks it's not worth our while to leave PV to spend a few days sight-seeing in Guadalajara. I feel like we've been in his apartment a hundred times because we talk with cameras on skype. He doesn't seem to think there's a big reason to extend our trip (and because we can't fly home from Guad. we'd have to take a 4-5 hour bus trip back to PV to begin our day-long flights home) My question to you is this. Aside from the MOM factor... is it worth it to go spend time in Guadalajara??

All of us are animal friendly, but the Swim with the Dolphins adventure is awesome in my mind. THoughtS? Thank you ever so much.
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would go along with your son. He may really want to get away from Guad. for as long as possible. You could always head down to visit him at another time. Others here with experience with Guad. may be able to give your more insight.

I have never done the Swim with the Dolphins, but many feel it exploits the animals and is cruel. Plus, I think, it is very expensive.

Please report back and let us know how your trip turns out.

MY
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 08:25 PM

I tend to agree with your son. Puerto Vallarta is a fun place to visit... for a day. That's just our personal preference. Look south at a couple areas (La Manzanilla, Melaque). We LOVE La Paloma in Melaque, and we've been there close to a dozen times. However, it usually books up a year in advance for the following Christmas. You might look into Coconuts By the Sea. It's a bit removed from anything. But the beach is right there. Great boogie boarding. There's also a new resort at Boca de Iguanas. However, it's a bit more $$$ than we like to pay. Looks very nice though.
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 05:03 AM

The beach in downtown PV is not at all appealing, in my opinion - sand and water are not pretty. And don't underestimate the annoyance of the constant stream of vendors. I've seen Los Muertos packed wall to wall, with barely room enough to walk through, and also when it was almost empty in August 2009 with 3-4 tourists in front of each property. Beaches are better either north or south of the city, and even in PV outside of downtown. The good news is that taxis are quite inexpensive, so you can always have a driver take you to one of the better beaches - they know where they are, with the closest being in the Conchas Chinas area and south to Mismaloya. There is a lovely small beach along this stretch with nice sand and green/blue water. Bucerias is not at all charming but the beaches are better there, as well as in Nuevo Vallarta. Sayulita is fun, has some charm, is more "authentic" and the area around it is pretty (lush and green); the beach is not particularly pretty.
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 07:16 AM

Also, keep in mind, that most of the nice places will be booked for the holidays. You might find a cancellation. Unless your talking about next Christmas...

Here's the link to the Boca de Iguanas site. Although we're already booked to stay in Melaque, I'm going to try and stay here one night for a special treat. I've seen the place, and it's nice, but it would be quite a walk to the southern part of the beach to get to La Manzanilla - the closest town.
http://www.bocadeiguanas.com/index.htm

Coconuts by the sea is above (sits on a high bluff) this resort with a fantastic view. They only have a few units (w/kitchenettes), but it might be worth checking them out. http://www.coconutsbythesea.com/
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 07:28 AM

It sounds like YOU would love staying in the place you describe in the hills overlooking Los Muertos (your son, i'm not so sure from what you've said).

The south-side of PV (OldTown, ZonaRomantica, various names same general area) *IS* extremely 'charming' imo. It's a vibrant and hussling and bussling area with cobblestone street, red tiled roofs, black wrought iron metal work, bouganvilla, etc.

I think Guadalajara would make an OK trip if you're interested, but only if you still have at least 7 days in PV.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:30 AM

I like Puerto Vallarta a lot myself, but I like cities. I do agree though, how bad can it be to have a nice vacationin PV? But it depends on your goal, and it doesn't sound like it fits your son's goal. It isn't so much that it is touristy, although it is (meaning you can't walk two feet downtown without some local trying to sell you a timeshare, it is really obnoxious, I got so sick of it) -- but that it is just a big city, that's all. It just sounds like your son just wants a small beach town vacation, not a big city, that's all.

Haven't been to Guadalajara, but if I were in PV that long, I'd want to see something else, that's for sure. After all, how many chances do you get to go there.

I don't approve at all of the whole swimming with the dolphins thing, sorry, I think it is terrible what people are doing to animals for tourism.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:57 AM

WE often return to Guadalajara especially to our Honeymoon Hotel Quinta Real. My DW loves the shopping. We both enjoy the Fountains, sculptures, Museums, Ballet Folklorico, Mariachi Plaza, Theaters,carriage rides & great restaurants but it is best seen over several days. A Sunday on the Main Plaza is a must to really appreciate the culture.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:54 AM

You'll only have the timeshare problem on the downtown street across from the Malecón, get away from the prime tourist area and you'll hardly see one.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 07:12 AM

Carbon is correct. I never walk that side of the street. Too bad the businesses do not know how much they are losing by allowing these ghouls to promote there as I am sure we are many who will not walk there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -