Puerto Vallarta

Mar 8th, 2005, 11:27 AM
khd
Original Poster

Puerto Vallarta

Travelling soon to Puerto Vallarta in Mexico with my 12 year old daughter. Any ideas of where to go and what trips should not be missed. Also anyone know anything about horse riding in this area? I have already booked whale watching and swimming with the dolphins.

Mar 8th, 2005, 11:38 AM

I've seen horseback rides offered around Old Town, just along the cobblestone streets. They (cowboys and horses) are usually on Olas Altas, the street parallel to and behind the local beach of Playa Los Muertos.

I know there are also trail rides into the jungle but have never done this myself. Vallarta Adventures has a good reputation for organized tours and such.

Once you arrive you can pick up the local tourist newspaper and see ads for all kinds of things. Beware of people selling tours along the streets/sidewalks as these are most likely timeshare sales in disquise.

Mar 8th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Along with your organized activities, there are lots of fun things to do that are cheap or free. Having lunch at a restaurant on the beach/sand under a palapa/umbrella. Shopping from the beach vendors. Visiting the cathedral in the center of downtown. Eating ice cream or corn on the cob. Strolling along the Malecon (seawall promondade) in the evenings. Watching sunsets, listening to wandering mariachi bands. Sometimes there are music or dance shows (free) on the stage under the arches at the south end of the Malecon. Taking taxis or the local bus can even be an adventure.

Mar 8th, 2005, 12:02 PM
khd
Original Poster

Suze
Have you hired a car in Puerto Vallarta. If so what are the roads like and drivers like?

khd
Mar 8th, 2005, 02:25 PM

We hired a car in Puerto Vallarta for a side trip to Sayulita. A fun ride, but be careful for the road conditions & where you park in Sayulita! A guy on a scooter ran right into our rental car while it was parked! Luckily it wasn't much of a scrape and the rental office at the Camino Real never noticed.

Also keep a close eye on the tank when you gas up!

We rented horses right on the beach in Sayulita. It was very casual; we saw some horses, asked around, someone found their owner, and we made a deal. My 13 year old daughter was in heaven! But she isn't an experienced rider, mine wouldn't do anything for me!
Mar 8th, 2005, 02:33 PM
khd
Original Poster

What other trips/adventures did you take when you stayed there?
khd
Mar 8th, 2005, 02:55 PM

No I've never rented a car. I stay right downtown & have always been able to do what I wanted to using taxi and bus.
Mar 18th, 2005, 02:02 PM

Take the water taxi to Yelapa about a 40 minute ride. It's a small village that can only be reached by boat and so cute. Take the short hike to the water fall, it's beautiful. Kids will try to get you to pay them to take you across the river and to the falls. You can walk across river by yourself and ask for directions in the village. Very safe and fun. There are a few Americans living in the hills of this village.
Mar 21st, 2005, 01:23 PM

My paradise is Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and if any of you have not been there and stayed in OldTown/SouthSide do you and your amigos a big favor and check it out. The people are so friendly, the food fantastic and gourmet, the bars and clubs hot and the beaches an eyeful. Ask me if you have any ??? and I will sure try to assist you. Some activities are:

Parasailing, scuba, snorkeling, boat cruises, fishing, whale watching tours, jungle tours in jeep or on horse, canopy tours over trees if not scared of heights like me, drives to North beaches and villages, same to the South. Chico's Paradise fun, as is El Eden. Sayulita for simple surfing and beachcombing. Pirate ship with food and fireworks at night, catamaran bay cruises to southern spots, new music sunset cruise, check your hotel or pick up guide books found everywhere, shopping, dining, museums, art shows, home tours, gourmet food and musical festivals and concerts, picture taking, making new friends, etc.!!!

Magical
Beautiful
Sensuous
Romantic
Spiritual
Historic
Charming
Active
Leisure
Unforgettable
Returnable...!!!

Also check out: