Search

PUERTO VALLARTA & ITS SURROUNDINGS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PUERTO VALLARTA & ITS SURROUNDINGS

Hi,

We are planning a visit in November to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

Any advice on must-see, must-do, in and around would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Godrejk
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 03:42 AM

When we went to PV last year got a ton of great info from the following message board. These people are true PV lovers and welcome even the sillest questions.
Try http//vallarta-info.com (I believe it is from JrinPV who posts here a lot) There is a link on his site: puerto vallarta insider that should take you to the message board).
Have fun.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 08:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Spend time in El Centro the old downtown area where the cathedral, the Malecon (seaside promonade), zocolo (town square) are located.

The Malecon especially on weekend evenings is a great place to stroll with families, couples, visitors, locals.

(If you don't have a rental car) take a local bus to Bucerias, Destiladeras, Punta Mita, or Sayulita, towns and beaches to the north within an hour or so. Beautiful.

There are also all kinds of more formal activities and tours if that's your interest: cruises, jungle tours, parasailling, banana boats, horse rides etc.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 03:14 AM

You don't need to rent a car to get around PV. The buses go everywhere and are cheap. Taxi cabs are really cheap too. Just be sure to ask the price before you get in.
For shopping try the little shops off the malecon and the flea market.
Pepe's has good food and is fun.
We tried one of the boat tours and weren't to impressed (very, very touristy). We did parasail and did an ATV jungle tour. Both were a lot of fun.
There is a lot to do and see there.
Have a great time.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 09:48 AM

Malecon: a "must" -- stroll along the beach in the early evening, frequent live performers on the stage near Hooters

El Eden: I really enjoyed trekking up the mountain and having lunch at a rustic casual place -- not to mention sliding down the waterfalls and taking a gander at the sets for Schwarzenegger's "Predator" flick...

Yelapa: Nice beach, and I really like the secluded feel of the place, not to mention the fun of getting there on the dumpy lanchas...

Porfirio Distillery: Yeah, I know that a lot of purists disdain the brand and that a lot of locals consider the place nothing more than a charade, but it's still a fun, easy, upscale kind of tour of tequila production and you *DO* have the opportunity to taste some of the finest, smoothest tequilas money (lots of it) can buy.

Rio Cual: I like strolling along the river, and checking out the little tourist traps. A couple of nice places to eat, some local artists under the bridge, etc.

Shopping: Puerto Vallarta's busy downtown area is a GREAT place to buy authentic Mexican folkart, not to mention just about anything your heart could desire.

Lots more...and as others have said...no real need to ever leave town since the buses are good (and cheap)

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 11:11 AM

There is a dinner tour called "Rhythms of the Night". It's great! You take a short boat ride across the bay to a 'hideway' formerly owned by John Huston. They serve a great buffet on the shoreline. After dinner they perform a show. I tell everyone who goes about this dinner and have yet to hear anything negative. Have fun! PV is beautiful!