Search

Progressa Meridia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 04:24 AM
Brenda Douglas

Progressa Meridia

Taking a cruise that includes this port....what is the best things to do??<BR>what should I watch out for??<BR>how is the snorkeling, fishing...etc??<BR>is there a local food/beer/wine that shouldn't be missed??<BR><BR>thanks for any help!!<BR>

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 10:36 AM
ja

Pick up some Xtabentun if you can - it's an anise-based Mayan liqueur, licorice-y taste with a honey smoothness. Fairly unique!<BR>If you have the time, try to get to some of the nearer Mayan ruins, or maybe do some cenote snorkeling.<BR>Merida isn't far away, and it's a very beautiful Colonial city. <BR>Hope this helps.<BR>ja

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 05:50 AM
earl

Progresso is on the coast about 35km from Merida. It is the seaport for Merida and the northwestern Yucatan. Don't expect to find the crystal clear ocean and coral formations that you see near Cancun. The ocean is normally a bit cloudy and can be rough. There is a fantastic ruin 18 km away, an easy bus or taxi ride. <BR>The ruins of Dzibilchaltun are really worth seeing. This was a large Mayan ceremonial center in use from about 1500BC until the Spanish conquest in 1540. Archaeologists have mapped about 30 sq. km of the site and located over 8,000 structures. Take along a bathing suit and take a dip in Cenote Xlacah. Clear blue waters about 25 feet deep, and open to the public for swimming. The ruins were closed on Monday's when we visited the area. Eme for more info, if you wish.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Barb

I'm also taking a cruise on March 1st. We're stopping in Progressa and really don't want to take the long ride to Chitzen Itza, although my son and daughter-in-law are going. Thought we'd like to do something a little more low key after doing a lot of snorkeling and sailing and shopping. What's the cost of taking the taxi to Dzibilchaltun? Also does anyone know of any nice beach close by to just lull on? My trip leaves from Miami on March 1 - Horizon (Celebrity Cruises).

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 03:45 PM
earl

I don't know how much a taxi from Progresso to Dzibilchaltun cost, but a bus trip of about 45 minutes from Merida to Progresso, passing right by the turn off to the ruins was about 90 cents. Busses left abour every 15 minutes, all day long. A taxi ride won't set you back much! The nicest beach is about a 10 minute bus ride west of town called Yucalpeten.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 12:52 PM
nina

Couple of questions, we're sailing the Mercury to this port in Feb and I don't do the cruiseship booked shore excursions, since I like to go it on my own.<BR><BR>We are 3 adults and 3 children. The trip to Dzibilchaltun and the cenote sounds perfect. Here is my question. <BR><BR> What is the least expensive way for us to get there? Can we take a bus to both the ruins and the cenote? If we take a taxi, do we have to hire one for the day that waits, or can we pick up one easily at the ruins or the cenote? <BR><BR>Where can I get more information on these places?<BR><BR>Or, do you recommend visiting Merida? Is it a worthwhile, charming town? Is there somewhere nearby or a resort that would allow us to purchase a day pass for swimming there? Thanks!