Traveling from PDC to Tulum back to Cancun

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2003, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any ideas of the best way to do so? Private car is going to run us about $80 each way. Bus is a lot cheaper, but will take a lot longer. Rental car? We are only going for 2 days - so I'm trying to determine the most efficent way to go! Thanks!
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 07:37 AM

Where are you staying in Tulum and what will you be doing? If you are going to stay in a beach cabana I would suggest taking the bus from PDC. They are cheap and run very frequently. Once you arrive at the Tulum bus station, you can walk next door and catch a taxi for about 30 peso. The driver will take you to your cabana place. Many places have their own bars and restaurants and others are within a short walk. It's pretty easy to do without your own car. When you're ready to go back, just flag down a taxi. They are easily found along the beach road. From Tulum a bus to Cancun will cost about 60 pesos.<BR>By the way, if you know when you'll want to leave the cabana and head for the bus station, tell the taxi driver who brings you to the cabana. He'll be there at the appointed time the next day. Renting a car for two days could cost as much as $100 U.S. when you include gas and insurance. I don't know how many people you are talking about but even four people using the bus and taxi shouldn't cost more than about $40 or $50 for the whole trip.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

We are staying at Cabanas Copal. Doing?Hopefully a lot of nothing! Relaxing. We will only be there for 2 days. Is the bus safe? Is it easy enough to understand the route even without an immendse knowledge of Spanish? <BR>We are returning to the airport. Is it safe to hail a taxi to do so? <BR>There are 2 of us - and we'd prefer to do is in the least expensive, but safe, manner. <BR>Your thoughts? Thanks for your response.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:34 AM

All of the public transportation options are safe. The buses are safe and normally to a much better standard than U.S. intercity buses.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:02 AM

Agree: the busses are great. If for whatever reason you're still not comfortable, use a colectivo. Either way, you'll need to flag a taxi in Tulum Pueblo to take you the last couple miles to CC.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:21 PM

Rent a car! We just got back and we rented a car, it was great and easy. It was expensive but much more convenient than anything else and well worth it.<BR><BR>Have a great trip!
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Kellygirl - can you give me a bit more info.? DId you rent a car before you left? From where?
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:46 PM

We rented from Budget before we left (we made reservations about a month or so before leaving). We rented a compact (I think it was a Corsa). When we landed in Cancun we saw plenty of car rental counters with signs that said &quot;cars available&quot;, so you could also rent when you get there. It was easy, not complicated in any way.<BR><BR>We figured that if we paid to get from the aiport to our hotel, sightseeing, and eventually back to the airport, we would probably spend enough that it would be worth renting a car. I am glad we did. If you do, go to mapchick.com and buy the can-do cancun map. It has all kinds of great suggestions for out-of-the-way things and is a good investment.<BR><BR>When we went to Tulum it was a rainy day (the only rainy day in our 2 weeks of vacation) there were some families with little kids standing in the rain waiting for the bus. It looked so miserable. If we had room I would have offered them a ride. <BR><BR>Some tips about driving there: all gas stations are the same company (they are government-run) and they are all full-serve and don't take credit cards. In fact we found it was difficult to find places that took credit cards anywhere, we brought a lot of cash to exchange and wish we had brought more, but we were able to find ATMs fairly easily.<BR><BR>Hope your questions have been answered.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 07:46 AM

dloech, you'll love Copal. It's the best! No better place to just do &quot;nothing!&quot; I'm going back for my third trip to Copal soon. You can easily get by without a car. The bus from Playa will drop you off right next to the Tulum taxi stand. The buses are very nice, cheap, and safe. The taxi will take you to Copal for thirty pesos. Copal has a great restaurant and it's just a short walk to other nice places to eat. There is also a little grocery store nearby. A little bit longer walk towards the north will take you to the fantastic Gringo Dave's restaurant. I highly recommend it. If you need to go into town, just walk up to the road in front of Copal. Taxis go by there all the time. The taxi drivers are nice, uniformed, and safe. For just two people with two days, you can save yourself a lot of money by not renting a car. You won't need it. When you return, you simply take a bus from Tulum to PDC, then transfer to the Cancun airport shuttle which goes right to the airport. No need to go into Cancun city.