Reload this Page >

Post-vacation emotional crash--common?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 06:26 AM
BackNine

Recently returned from an 11 day rather intense trip through Mexico. Intense, in that we stayed pretty busy every day-at the time it seemed so inviting and good! So much to see and do, although my usual pace is slower than we operated at.
I just didn't expect this type of crash right away. I'm just drained emotionally-I can't seem to get my bearings.
Absolutely nothing went wrong on trip. My family and I got along well.
HELP! Has anyone else had this type of experience?
Is it sorta common?

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think so.

My husband calls it "having a let down."

Whenever we go somewhere and basically totally immerse ourselves in the food, language, and culture, and we have a great and exciting time, it's only natural to be kind of depressed when we come back to the same ole' same ole'. (Not to mention just plain worn out from all of that unaccustomed activity, eating and drinking. )

Get plenty of rest and you will be back to yourself in no time with lots of great memories of your trip!
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Or start planning your next trip now!

I do think it's common, for obvious reasons. Had the same problem when my wife and I came back from a family trip to Orlando in March. Especially when coupled with a backlog of work (that often makes you wonder if it was worth it to go on vacation in the first place), it's very easy to understand why there would be a letdown.

Steve
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 09:14 AM

Now I know it's different vacationing somewhere and living/working there but Steve, really I'm having a hard time working up a lot af sympathy for you . PDC is after all, pretty wonderful. My daughter and I were there for 10 days last March and now we can hardly think of anything but how and when we will return!
Backnine, we actually have a name for it in my family. PTDS, or Post Trip Depression Syndrome. We invest so much in the planning and anticpation that it's a huge let down when we return to reality. I amost always start planning again even if it's just pipe dreaming.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 03:40 PM

You and me both. I always go into a slump upon returning from mi Paraiso, Puerto Vallarta. Part of my soul and spirit reside there and I must go there and reconnect. But when I return home, granted to an extremely beautiful city which most people would die to come home to, I feel let down and lost. I wish I could go back on the next plane! But, I have other lives to lead, so I remain steadfast in my mind that soon I will return and I do. I now know that about 6 months is the most I can stay away. Next year I just may go three times! Back in October, 2004...

Gary
San Francisco, CA.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Puerto...Town_SouthSide
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 10:37 AM

The first time My husband and I went to P. Vallarta w/2 other couples we couldn't wait to go back we decided to go the next year for 2 weeks immediately returning home we started planning the next years vacations (2 weeks) also, my friends in work suggested I should not go any more for 2 weeks because I was so depressed when I got home. So we started going twice a year and that seems to be the best thing. Think about this I don't know where you live but Where I live it's freezing cold when we go to P. Vallarta or Cancun so we go somehwhere where it's warm and sunny and we just lay around and be waited on and live the life of rich people, so then we go back to work and freeze our butts off no wonder we get depressed it's like after Christmas is over. How lucky we are that we can go on vacation. Don't worry it will pass just start thinking and planning your next vacation.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 05:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Happens to me every time. 15 trips later I still cry (literally) as the taxi cab takes me back to the airport leaving Puerto Vallarta. Then sit at my desk back at the office with a blank stare in my eyes for the first week (coworkers even recognize this as my post-Mexico state).

I just returned Sunday from a European trip and am having a terrible time both from jet-lag but also missing the sites, smells, sounds, FOOD, of Switzerland. I feel all discombobulated and somehow confused.

I think it is natural and to be expected when we drop ourselves so suddenly from one life into another.

So not that my post is of much practical use, but maybe knowing it is in fact "common" will reassure you.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 02:09 PM

Suze et al---You are right on, and very helpful in "normalizing" this phenomenon. I recently returned from Mexico and had a severe crash. Luckily, my wife was there to remind me that the same thing happened to me a few years ago when we got back from Italy.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 04:39 PM

I hear you! We have travelled a lot over the years and its always the same crash - I call it going back to reality. I enjoy so much the planning, the travel itself, and my time at destination it is a real bummer to come back home to responsabilities etc. Best remedy - plan the next vacation. Seems not many people want to hear about the great times you had on your vacation... but I can relive it in my mind again and again. And feel richer for the experience.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 05:07 AM

I'm always planning my next vacation! I'm leaving Saturday for BC (to visit my family and some friends) - that's pretty well an annual trip, so not so adventurous, but something I look forward to. Then in October, we're going to New Orleans for a long weekend. In late February, we're going to Oaxaca and Puerto Escondido. We haven't been to either of those places for probably a dozen years, so I'm really excited! However, I'm also starting to think about next summer - I'd like to go back and see more of Turkey.........

What helped me was making a list of the top 10 (actually it was 13) places I want to see. Some are weekend trips (like New Orleans), some are much more extensive. Now I have a focus!