Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Arrived home from vacation trip mentally and physically exusted- is this a good?

Search

Arrived home from vacation trip mentally and physically exusted- is this a good?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of my friends and relatives idea of a good vacation is a week sitting baking in the sun reading books by the pool and sleeping 10 hours a night at the resort. They tell me that this type of vacation is great and "just what the doctor ordered!"

On a recent trip to Europe, I toured 14 hours a day and pushed myself like crazy to see as much as I could. We arrived back from our trip completely dead tired.

Is there something wrong with my last vacation philosphy?
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 01:28 PM
ira

>Is there something wrong with my last vacation philosphy?<

Yes. It wasn't a vacation. It wasn't R&R. It was an expedition.

Surely there is a happy medium between your two examples.

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 01:28 PM
ira

PS,

See what it did to your spelling?
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 01:42 PM

...but did you have a good time?
...would you do it again?
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 02:13 PM

you treated it like an assignment, a project, a to-do list rather than as an experience. You thought that if you came home and someone asked "did you see the---" and if you'd said you hadn't, you would have felt that you'd failed in some way.

I know this all because I started out traveling that way, and it's especially common I think at the beginning. That's why so many seasoned travelers recommend
that within X amount of time, you see fewer places, spend more time in each, and leave time for relaxation and serendipity.

The one thing about travel exhaustion thought, at least it's DIFFERENT from the kind of tired you get at home, at least it is for me.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 02:47 PM

It's a little late now, but I usually like to come home with another 2 or 3 days left in my vacation time to rest.

Also, it's a good idea to schedule a 2-3 day break during your trip to recharge your batteries. No sightseeing, sleeping late, etc.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Check out the mentality and practices advocated at www.slowtrav.com.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 03:16 PM

My first trip to Italy was a bit like that. We moved from town to town and hotel to hotel and walked and walked and walked. It was exhausting.

Now, having said that, I have to add that we had a wonderful time, saw so much, and came away wanting to see more. Which we have, at a slower pace, with a few mornings when we slept in and a few nights when I skipped dinner and took a hot bath.

The first trip was great, a really terrific time, but I'm glad that we have slowed down. Try it next time.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 03:37 PM

I am usually exusted <i>before</i> we even leave, but I am energized by being away so I think no matter what I do or where I go, I come home mentally &amp; physically fine..Actually, on the plane home is when we usually start the serious Next Trip planning!
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 03:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have all my life been a nail biter but my doctor, can't figure out why I return home with grown nails.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 04:12 PM

Sorry you are exhustd...better than being worn out or too tired, right? Yes, there are two types of vacationers
...the &quot;sun bathers&quot; who may be on cruise ships or at condos or on beaches, and the &quot;day trippers&quot; out for sightseeing or hiking or driving. In the last group you have not only the folks dragging their butts from museum to castle but also those do some wilderness backpacking and then those who see how much mileage they can cover in a day in an auto(mostly in the U.S.)

We do favor trips that take in culture and history rather than sand and surf. But you make a good point...why kill yourself. Good idea to locate someplace as a base of exploration. Many, many years ago when camping with kids we would stay in a state park for a few days at a time to enjoy the area.

Bill in the Ozarks
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 05:51 PM

It does sound like you tried to do too much.
We always try to leave enough free time/flexibility so we don;t end up like this (a couple of days of sleping til 10 if we feel like it - or a 2/3 day break just relaxing at the shore or a lake).

But even the couple of trips we knew we had to push ourselves physically - or give up something we just had to have - we came back tired - but mentally refreshed.

If you're both mentally and physically exhausted it wasn;t a vacation - just a sort of european bataan death march.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 04:53 AM

I see no reason why the two types of vacation should be mutually exclusive. Next time plan on having a little beach (or pool, or lake, or mountain) time in the place you visit in Europe - even if, owing to weather, all you do is beachcomb or read in a sheltered nook.

I honestly haven't found the other kind of vacation necessarily more relaxing, at least not after a few days. For one thing, I loathe sunscreen, even though my skin type demands it. For another, I find too little stimulation to be as bad as too much.

Cheer up, everyone has a trip abroad like this now and again. It just reminds you that la dolce vita isn't altogether a waste of your precious vacation time and money.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:52 AM

I too cram a lot in while traveling; i.e. starting out at the crack of dawn and being on the go until late at night. If I'm going to relax, its while sitting at an outdoor cafe so I can at least enjoy the scenery and people watching.

I've considered tacking a couple of days upon returning home from vacation to rest up and get back into my regular routine, but adding a couple of days could give me that much more time in Europe instead, and two more days of running around Europe would win over two days of resting up from vacation any time.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 06:15 AM

Let me introduce you to travdis, a master of random, near-troll posts that usually ask a somewhat obvious and very general question about travel.

travdis: &quot;Is this a good?&quot; No, of course not. So don't do it.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 06:42 AM
TravelFirst

Travdis, pushing yourself like that, 14 hours, make little sense. I do regret you were wiped out. Obviously you need to slow the pace and forget the notion you MUST see it all. Go back and revisit. That's the approach we take with Paris, for one example, to try to go yearly, and to relax. We do come home rested and happy. Try it, and hopefully you'll feel the same way. Best of luck.

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 07:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a few thoughts on your question.

First, I take two kinds of vacations, alternating. To Europe to tour, and either Mexico or Hawaii to lay on a beach and read paperback books.

When I do go to Europe I don't push myself like you describe. Just because you're in a foreign country, no one is forcing you to rush around for 14 hours every day. I spend much of my time in Europe sitting in sidewalk cafes drinking wine!

That said, all travel is &quot;hard work&quot;. Friends, relatives, and coworkers who do not travel abroad will not understand that.

There's only something wrong with your vacation phiilosophy and approach to schedule, if YOU are not happy with how things turned out. If you loved it and found it satisfying, then it's fine, and there's always plenty of time to rest up once you are back home again!
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 07:20 AM
TravelFirst

&quot; ... pushed myself like crazy to see as much as I could.&quot; Did you have a list of things to see? What were you afraid you'd miss? Sounds frantic, so how could one actually be enjoying the pursuit? Travdis, you indeed do need to adopt a new approach ... don't you already have that in mind?

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 07:31 AM

Often people here will post their itinerary for comment. it is very common for americans to pack in far too much in far too little time.

it is my opinion that with this mode of travel, you just see the sites that you can see in any book. ok, you eat some of the food so you get a little more but you do not really learn anything about where you travel. for me, i would much rather spend a longer time in a location and come away with something other than a list of famous sites that i saw.

for example, i often spend 10 days to 2 weeks in a single region of a country rather than 10 days in a few or even several countries which is not uncommon for posters here.

i understand that americans get very little vacation time and the trip over to europe is pretty major. therefore it makes sense that they want to see everything in so little time (for example, spend 3-4 days in paris and you HAVE to see x,y,z... You may never go back so you have to see it all...so seems to be the attitude that causes this problem.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 07:34 AM

To each his own. Personally, I could never understand the idea of flying a couple thousand miles to lay on a beach every day and read a book! That would drive me crazy! People go to the gym and come home exhausted, but it's a good exhausted. Perhaps travel can be the same thing. Exhausted isn't necessarily bad. But if it was &quot;bad&quot; to you, then of course, you shouldn't be traveling that way.

I consider a vacation a break from routine, not necessarily a &quot;rest-up&quot;. And I see nothing wrong with coming home totally worn out, but delightfully &quot;satisfied&quot;.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -