Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Portobelo vs Pacific- which should get the longer visit time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!
We have some extra time in between planned visits to PTY and Boquete and wanted to fit in a trip to see the Pacific ( Playa Blanca vs. Coronado??) and then Portobelo area.

I wanted to ask for advice on which is better suited for a day trip and which is better suited for a couple nite stay?

Thanks so much- trip will be in mid April- late April.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 03:17 PM

Perhaps I'm daft....but what's PTY?
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

hello,
airport code for panama city aka I am getting lazy.

Old Mar 25th, 2008, 02:55 AM

Ha! Funny! I could/t "crack it".....

WEll, Portobelo would be about 2-2.5 hours from Panama City. The old forts are cool to see and then you could move on to Isla Grande(20 mins on) and spend a couple of nights there.....
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

cool- do you live in PC? I have it in my head that we need to investigate panama for retirement options from dallas.
We would like to snorkel while there and it sounds like Isla Grande is a good spot for that part. Dilemma- are there more options besides Bananas or Scuba Panama's place? We are wary of inclusive resorts- never enough food for the tourists!
Appreciate your help.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 03:47 AM

No, I live in Montreal.

We stayed at Hotel Sister Moon. Bananas is def the most "upscale" on the island, but we found it a bit isolated and expensive.

Sister Moon is a bit worn at the edges but funky and cute & clean. Just don't expect the Ritz. We'd return in a heartbeat.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendation- no problem, as long as it is clean and safe. Any recommendations to eating while there?
Did you snorkel while there? Thanks again- we are getting excited with less than 3 weeks until departure date.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 05:27 PM

We snorkeled lots on the tiny patch of coral off the main beach.....it's damaged from people standing on it but you do see tons of fish. Take your gear.....

As far as restaurants go, we ate in a diff little spot every time, lots of places to choose from, from actual restaurants to someones "kitchen". Very, very good food. Lots of fresh fish with patacones and coconut rice, YUM!

It's a simple little island, simple little hotels, but we loved it.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again and I appreciate your recommendations. Looking forward to fresh seafood and coconut rice too!
Did you visit anywhere else in the country?
We are spending time in the city - PTY and a few nites in Boquete too. I want to squeeze in a day trip to the Pacific if possible while we are in PC. Half day transit tour on Saturday before we head back.
We should be looking at real estate but with some much to explore this time, I am easily distracted....
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 03:42 AM

We toured PC, Casco Viejo, canal area, ancon hill, amador causeway, etc. This xmas we flew from pc to David and then went on to Isla Boca Brava to the Chiquiri National Marine Park. Amazing! We stayed at Boutique Hotel Cala Mia, amazing again.....
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your time and recommendations.
Wow- just checked out the web site for Boutique Hotel Cala Mia and it does look gorgeous!

Maybe we should go there instead of snorkeling @ Portobelo for 2 days since we will be in Boquete at that time anyway.

Did you eat at the restaurant all of the time or were there other places? We love seafood so it looks like we would be heaven.
Thx again LA
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 09:37 AM

We ate at the restaurant the entire time as there are no other restaurants except at Franks Place(budget style) which is a boatride away at the other end of the island.

This is truly a unique spot, meals are "haute quisine", decor & detail in the little villas is amazing. Very, very special. Huge sea turtles can be seen from the property, they came next to us in the kayaks. Howlers awaken you, it's incredible!

The trip we took to Isla Secas was absolutely wonderful, like Jurassic Park. Snorkeling and water clarity remarkable.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 09:38 AM

I can supply a lot more detail & pics....

[email protected]
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 04:48 AM

I too am interested in investigating Panama for retirement. Is there a particular area with a concentration of Americans?
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 06:43 AM

Take a look at www.czbrats.com Many of those who grew up in the old Zone have returned to Panama for retirement. It is my impression that they are congregating in the El Valle, Boquete and Santa Clara areas in addition to Panama City.

http://www.businesspanama.com/tourism/retire_live.php