Please help with transportation around Costa Rica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. We have our first trip to C.R. planned for August, but haven't yet decided whether to rent a 4 wheel drive, or have private drivers. On one hand we like the adventure and freedom of driving, on the other, I am scared to death of the drive around Lake Arenal to Monteverde. I am also wondering if we will miss out on alot of valuable information which a private guide could provide. How to go about making decisions, and booking private drivers for each leg of our trip (San Jose to Peace Lodge, then to Arenal, next to Monteverde, and ending at Manuel Antonio before returning to San Jose Airport? Thanks for your advice!!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 12:40 AM

Just by posting that message, you will get a lot of advice. To be honest, I am not much of a driver, and wouldn't drive down there on a bet. Some will say to try the bus--it's a lot cheaper. However, I prefer a private driver because you're not at the mercy of a pre-set schedule, and as you mentioned you get a lot of info. I suggest you contact Luis Chinchilla [email protected]---he is a a great driver, a barrel of fun and speaks English. Have a wonderful trip. Costa Rica is Paradise regained (with apologies to Milton).

Carol
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 05:40 AM

I really think having a car in the Arenal and Monteverde areas comes in handy...but if you are really that scared to drive then you should probably follow your gut and get a driver...but I really do think that people tend to over exaggerate how bad it is to drive in Costa Rica.

I have done both, and yes a driver that doubles as a guide can give you great information...but also be aware that you can just end up with a driver that doesn't tell you much, so do your research if you go that route. (I always recommend Luyis from Wady Tours - www.emotionguaranteed.com)

As far as driving in Costa Rica...the first time my wife & I went to CR (our honeymoon), we hired a driver for the first leg of our trip - SJ to MA, and then rented a car for the second leg - MA to Arenal.

Navigating our way from town to town was an absolute BLAST, and a lot more fun than we ever could have imagined. It's a gorgeous drive.

You'll have a great trip no matter which you choose, or a combo of both.

Old Jun 18th, 2007, 06:39 AM

Hi, c-girl - we hired private drivers through each of our hotels. It was really easy; they pick you up at the appointed time and stop for anything you like and then drop you off at your next hotel.

We were worried about driving there as well, but for the most part, we found the roads to be pretty good. Going from Arenal to Manuel Antonio, we saw some huge potholes, but you just move around them. The thing that freaked my husband out was the one lane bridges; you have to take turns going over them. If you have a sense of adventure, it's completely doable. My husband gets stressed out doing things like that, so he wanted the private driver, and he was so glad we did it that way.

Our first driver was amazing and fluent in English. The other two were not as fluent, but they still stopped at all the tourist spots like the Rio Tarcoles, etc., and we enjoyed their company. If you're particularly worried about a certain portion of the drive, you may want to drive certain parts and hire drivers for other sections. If you call your hotels, they can probably set everything up for you. I haven't been to Monteverde yet, but I hear that drive is more challenging than the rest. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 06:28 PM

I put this in another record asking for a rec as well, Alberto Artavia & his asst. Carlos. Phone is 011-506-387-6875 or 861-7209 & his email is [email protected]

I've also used Luis at Wady Tours/Orquideas Inn and he is excellent! Great friendly guy who wants the best for your trip. Btw airways, did you know he is going to be a father soon?
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 09:57 PM

In case the above drivers are busy if and when you try to hire them, Leo Rodriguez is a great driver, great host/guide, great guy. He is a college grad, loves his country and loves his career. He can be reached at e-mail: [email protected] or by phone (from the U.S. dial 011) 506-378-0001 Our then 18 and 21 yr. old children, as did we, then, 50 yr. olds, LOVED him two yrs. ago. Pura Vida Dyer
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 06:08 AM

I posted this in answer to another question but I can't say enough good about this driver:
We had the pleasure of meeting Wilson Rojas 4 years ago and have used him as a driver/tour guide ever since. He and his wife Elsy would be happy to help you with any arrangements you need in addition to driving for you. He is very reasonably priced and your safety & comfort are his top priorities. He tours the entire country. I'm getting anxious to go back down as I type this! If you decide to contact him, tell him the Hansens from Nebraska say "Hi". (506) 451-0218 [email protected]
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 07:10 AM

Tully, no I had not heard that news about Luis. I'm sure he will be one proud papa!
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

You have all been extremely helpful and I can't thank you enough. I have contacted all your recommended guides and am awaiting their responses. Once again the "fodorites" come through!