please help choose flight time SJO leaving from MA on same day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2011, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need to deside on flight time from SJO, one is 12:45 PM, another 2:41PM ($30 more). We will be in MA and are not planning to drive, so hire somebody. Maybe bus? I think I've read that you need about 7 hours prior to flight time to pick up from MA to SJO, so it will be something around 6AM, is it safe to be on a road that earlier? how about trafic (it's Sunday)? I want to avoid spending last night in SJO area, we only will have 5 nights in MA, so why loose last day. Is that realistic time - 12:45PM? Would that be very stressfull not to be near airport on last night?
Thanks,
Mariya
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 09:55 AM

Most of the time, the airlines require you to be at the airport three hours prior to your flight.

You need to take this seriously. I know that some folks will post that they got there 90 minutes ahead of time, and got on. But this is not always the case. There are times that I have experienced long lines during busy times (like 12:45!). Sometimes they go through every bag by hand. It is a security thing. I don't quite get it.

So you have to be at the airport by 9:45. There is a new road from Quepos. You can figure on about two and a half hours, if all goes perfectly. But this is Costa Rica, so 6:00 AM is probably a good time!

I think that staying near the airport on the last night is a better idea. Since you are hiring a transfer, you can plan on a late afternoon departure from Quepos. You could still get a half day at the beach.

Your departure morning will be a lot less stressful, and you will have time to get a good breakfast before you start your travel.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer more advice.

Warm Regards,

Pat Hewitt
Travel Professional
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Pat,

Thank you. My other option could be flight from Liberia. I know it's longer travel time from MA. (let say 5 hours)
I can get flight from Liberia leaving at 2:47pm, and it's $355 compare to flight from SJO at 12:45 at $423. or 2:41PM for $453. For Liberia probably even more reason to stay near airport. In both scenarios when should I leave MA the day before to travel before nightfall? What is the better solution?
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 02:56 PM

I don't think the savings on the Liberia flight, is substantial enough to be worth the extra two and a half hours on the road.

Not only that, the transfers will be much more expensive and eat up your savings anyway.

I would say fly in and out of SJO.

Go back a day early, and spend the night before you fly near the airport. That room would probably be cheaper than what a room at the beach is going to cost you too.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer more advice.

Warm Regards,
Pat Hewitt
(Travel professional)
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 05:38 PM

There are some nice hotels near the airport and I don't think you will feel as if you have missed out on anything, but perhaps have gained something more!

Recently we stayed (for the first time, oddly enough) at Hotel Bougainvillea. It was moderately priced ($140ish), and the service was impeccable, and the grounds beautiful. We had a late afternoon flight as well, and had a beautiful morning exploring the expansive grounds and gardens and swimming in the very nice pool. It made for a very nice day of departure! The only thing we regretted was that the breakfast wasn't a full breakfast, but continental.

Orquideas Inn is another nice choice, less money, less upscale, great breakfasts, fun little bar.

More upscale, Xandari would be a great place to stay, albeit this is secondhand info. Great reviews. Would stay in a heartbeat. That afternoon flight gives you a great opportunity to really enjoy the hotel you choose near the airport. I'd even opt for the later flight!