Playacar,Cozumel, or Cancun?

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Joe52

Playacar,Cozumel, or Cancun?

MY wife and I saw our travel agent this weekend and were looking to book a trip. We thought Cancun and she suggested staying in Playacar. We're looking at all-inclusive resorts and she recommended Allegro and some of the Iberostar resorts. Any opinions on Iberostar??? We are looking for a nice beach, good pool and something close to some of the ruins, Talum or others. Looking for any opinions.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Sandy

Hi Joe,

Your choice would depend in part on what you and your wife like to do.

Cancun has many lovely hotels and great beaches, but it's very "Americanized" as far as restaurants and bars go. Cancun has a lot to do at night (clubs, music, bars, etc.), if that's what you're looking for. On the other hand, in my opinion, you're not really getting a true "Mexican" feel to your vacation if you stay in Cancun. Many people feel differently, though, and I'm sure we'll hear from them.

Playacar, also known as the Riveria Maya, is the area south of Cancun all the way to Tulum/Akumal. The area is less crowded, and more laid back, yet there is plenty to do and see. You can just lie on a chair, sun yourself, and drink all day long, or you are relatively close to lots of activities/excursions. You are close to Tulum, Coba, Xcaret, Xel-Ha, just to name a few.

I've never been to Cozumul, but if you're a diver, it's supposed to be fantastic. The hotels that I've seen in the tour company brochures don't look quite as nice as many of the ones in either Cancun or the Riveria Maya, but again, that's just opinion and not fact. I guess it's just my personal "hang up", but it seems to me that many of the things to see and do in the region are OFF the island of Cozumul and on the mainland. So why would I stay on Cozumul if I'm going to spend so much time NOT BEING on Cozumul?

We (family of four with 2 young teens) stayed at the Iberostar Tucan 1 1/2 years ago and loved it. We're returning to Mexico this July and staying at the Iberostar Paraiso. Both are in the Riveria Maya region, which we prefer. The water is a gorgeous turquoise, and the sand is wonderfully soft. We can't wait! The Iberostar hotels are very nice, as are the RIU chain of hotels. I've also read good things about the Gala Resort, as well as the Bahia and the Barcelo Maya. Couldn't tell you about the Allegro. Hope that helps to give you an initial frame of reference. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Sandy

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 02:52 PM
McH

Joe,

I think Sandy has made a great review of the 3 places.

For me, it sounds like some of the hotels in the Riviera Maya could be the best option, as hotels are (on average): 30-45 minutes from Tulum (Mayan ruins), 1 hr from Playacar and 30m - 1 hour from Cancun. So you can be in a luxurious hotel, in a fantastic beach just 1 hour away from places that can change your setting for the day.

Last time I was there I combined 3 days in a secluded hotel closer to Tulum and 3 days in crazy, up-beat Cancun.

Good luck,

McH

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Jason

Check into RIU PALACE in Playacar. It is a great resort. Very laid back, very nice. And there is quite a bit of action in playa del carmen if you need some more excitement - - - which is a short five minute or less taxi into town ($5 taxi).

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 06:06 AM
barbara

definitely choose playacar over cancun -- cancun is a strip of high rises on the ocean side, much like miami; also, the beach was much much prettier in playacar; finally, if you are going to tulum, xel-ha, etc -- much more convenient from playacar -- cancun would be another 45 - 60 min ride. couples only, I'd choose Riu Palace -- with kids, consider Gala resort, both in playacar