Playa Dominical area

Mar 13th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Playa Dominical area

Has anyone stayed either in Pacific Edge or Costa Paraiso Lodge? We are looking for a cool place to stay that is part-way between Manuel Antonio and the Osa Peninsula for a day or so. Thanks!
Mar 14th, 2003, 08:02 AM

I am not familiar with either place you mentioned but I can suggest some others in the area. I just returned from a week in playa matapalo. A nice clean lonely beach with few tourists, quiet and beautiful. Try Puedra Buena cabinas bar and restaurant. Excellant food and across the road from the beach. 30-40 per night fan . Playa matapalo is 1 hour south of Manual antonio. South of Dominical near Ojochal there is Hotel gaia and Posada tortuga. They are close to the beach and there are many nice beaches close by. You can take a boat to Oso or Isla canos from here.
Mar 19th, 2003, 08:02 AM

Hi,

I was in Dominical area in Nov. '02 and stayed at Hotel Villas Gaia and was very pleased with the bungalows, food, pool, surrounding beaches, etc.

I believe that Pacific Edge is quite close to Villas Gaia and while we were there we heard that Pacific Edge was a premier place to stay in that area as well.

Hope that helps some,
Jun 15th, 2004, 01:47 PM

I send an E-Mail to Pacific Edge to inquire on room availablity and received a very rude e-mail in reply. I would not want to stay there as the owners seem grumpy and distainful of children. My kids are 12 and 14, not little ones, but the reply she sent was very critical sight-unseen. My children are polite and well-mannered. The owners, Susan and George, could well use a lesson from my kids on manners.
Jun 16th, 2004, 08:39 AM

Someone just returned from the Pacific Edge and raved about it! I've topped the post for you...it's titled "Long Report-Savegre/Dominical".
Jun 16th, 2004, 11:27 AM

Hi Beachmama -- I'm the one who wrote the trip report that included info on Pacific Edge. Sorry you got a less than enthusiastic reply from Susie there. We enjoyed Susie and George's company while we were there. But perhaps they don't get many families with kids there. Did she sound reluctant to host children? We loved the place, but it's small -- just 4 cabins (and Susie & George's house), a small open air bar and dining area, and a small pool -- but the setting and the ocean view are spectacular!!! Also, it's about a mile up a dirt rocky road. Maybe she was concerned that the kids wouldn't like it (not on beach ,etc).

The other place that we looked into was La Cusinga (farther south toward Uvita). If you do a search on this bulletin board I think you'll come up with a message from someone who recommended it - particularly because of its somewhat more protected beach.

We met the woman who runs the Paraiso one eve - she seemed very nice. They are close to the beach.

You didn't say what time of year you're going -- but we found a lot of bridges washed out when we were down there several weeks ago (including a few between Dominical and Palmar). But the road itself south of Dominical is GREAT - amazing actually. Wonderfully paved and wide and trafficless -- though, since it has no center line everyone drives down the middle.

You might also see Hacienda Baru has to offer. Lots of activities there - zip lines etc.

We loved the Dominical area!

Have a lunch at the San Clemente Bar -- kinda of Key West joint. And we really liked La Parcela Restaurant. Lovely outdoor setting and very good food.
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:32 PM

I would not recommend the Pacific Edge to anyone under 50, or anyone who loves their grandchildren. It is run by an older couple who liken the sound of playing children to the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard.
Jun 16th, 2004, 01:46 PM

Golver, I saw that the Pacific Edge had a bungalow that sleeps 6, so I inquired into it's availability in March - the dry season - for my family of 5.

The response I got back was that they are a "peaceful" place and do not expect "noisy, misbehaved children". Now I did not specify the ages of my children, but perhaps if I had none of this would have happened as they are all over 12.

When just the mention of the word family conjures up images of mischievous hellions, it is safe to assume that person has a genuine distain for children and not a safety concern.

This trip is to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and is meant to be a trip of a lifetime for our family. We want it to be special and are looking forward to having a wonderful time.

It is quite difficult to find lodging in CR that will accomodate more than 4 per room - so I find it ironic that one of the only family-sized bungalows in all of CR would be so family unfriendly.