Playa Del Carmen for Lovers

Old Apr 15th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Playa Del Carmen for Lovers

I have been to PDC in the past (actually Playa Aventura area) but am planning a trip for my SO and myself to PDC. We love the bustling of 5th ave in town, but also cherish the solitude of the more desolate beaches. We don't like the concept of AI resorts. We like in town eateries and the PDC nightlife, to be close to resturaunts, have the option of escaping at our whim, but having access to a great beach. Do any of you have lodging recommondations? We would like AC, near or on beach and close to town. Thanks....Also if you have recommendations for Akumal or any other southern Cancun beach area we would love to hear your recommendations....
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 04:35 PM

Just returned from the Riu Palace, PDC. It's an AL but great food, excellent service, cleanist beach I've seen - just magnificent. The only other one I'd recommend is the Royal Hideaway. We have not stayed there, it's an Al - but we love not having to carry money, etc. to the beach or pool. We had so much fun at the Riu and we had plans for a visit to PDC and Cozumel - but we never left the resort. Just a consideration and have fun wherever you choose to go.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 02:23 AM

Right in Playa Del Carmen is the Gran Porto Real Suites resort. Looks lovely. Haven't been there but the reviews are favourable. It's in the middle of Playa Del Carmen. You can watch the cruise ships go by, watch or take the ferry to Cozumel or shop on 5th Avenue and bring your goodies back to your hotel you are so close to the action!
Or there are the resorts in Playacar - the Rius, the Gala, The Royal Hideaway. You can't go wrong here either. Great resorts, great food, wonderful beach, lots of walking and close to Playa Del Carmen.
We have stayed at the Occidental Xcaret (away from Playa Del Carmen - go by cab) the Riu Tequila -not directly on the beach but you have access to the beach - great resort and the Royal Hideaway - the best yet.
Enjoy.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 04:39 AM

I just got back from PDC. We wanted to be on the beach with a pool, and that is hard to find last minute and hard to find without spending a fortune. We comprimised and got a pool close to the beach. Hotel Playa Maya is right on the beach and offers a small pool but it is right in town so a busy area. Couldn't get in there, so we stayed at Hotel Paradise which is 2 blocks from the beach and you can go to Mamitas or Tucan beach club and rent beach chairs and Palapas very cheap. I think Hotel Paradise is very romantic for a couple. Here is a link to my trip report and photo link:

http://playadelcarmeninfo.com/playa-...ead.php?t=7201
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 05:05 AM

Forgot to say, looked at Gran Porto Real while we were there. The place is gargantuan, if you look at our photos, the first one shows the hulking resort plunked down in the middle of town. It has a nice large pool area, but is far from "romantic". I like the smaller hotels in Playa myself, but the resorts do have lots to offer as well.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 02:01 PM

Some good lodging in PDC can be found by clicking Playa Del Carmen (in the Yucatan section) here:

http://www.mexicovacations.com/

Check out this little gem listed (and check out the PRICE!)

http://www.mexicovacations.com/mx/7093.html

Its perfect for 2 people. I havent stayed there so you might wanna email the owner for availability and more pictures.

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 06:24 PM

I highly recommend the Playa-Maya. Its right on the beach-nice small hotel-great restaurant-very quiet and safe-close to everything and the manager Steve Ryberg is always there to make your stay a memorable one.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 07:47 AM

One of my favorite hotels in PDC is the Shangri la Caribe (www.shangrilacaribe.net)
It is at the north end of PDC ( a 10-15 minute walk to downtown), has great beachfront bungalows and is on a great stretch of beach.
For my money, the best of all worlds, and definately one of the most romantic spots on the Mayan Riviera.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 08:05 AM

Another vote for Shangri-La Caribe. Great value and great tropical/mexican/romantic feel to it. Also stayed at Royal Hideaway on the same trip and liked them both for different reasons -- SLC actually had the better beach, RH the better food, amenities, more upscale. RH is more than double the price of SLC, but they both are a good value.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 09:26 AM

how is the Beach at the Playa Maya? Is it in a very crowded spot? Thanks!
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 12:55 PM
MightyIsis

Shangri La Caribe -- it's walking distance of all the action, but quieter and on the best beach. Great service, breakfast and dinner is included, but the price is so reasonable that you don't feel guilty skipping out a night or two to pay for dinner in town. There are two pools, a nice bar with swings, and the rooms are cool stucco/thatched roof huts with modern bathrooms. Lots of character. Lots of fun. Nice surrounding gardens and plants. Very friendly staff.

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

I swear I just saw Elvis.....
And a million thanks for the recommendations for Shangri-la -Caribe. For all the extensive reviews I have done regarding the Playa area as well as having visited the area in the past, I had not come across this property in my searches. It seems to be exactly what I was searching for. I have looked in to booking a week after reading all the positive reviews on several internet sites. Thanks again....