Playa Del Carmen

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:07 PM
PMYERS

Playa Del Carmen

I am planning a holiday getaway and have heard about Playa Del Carmen. There will be five of us. Can anyone suggest accommodations for this area. Also, where is the nearest airport?

(We have never visited Mexico)

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Monica

Are you wanting al or non al? The nearest airport is in Cancun(there is an airport in Cozumel, but you would need to take the ferry to Playa)about 50 miles. Been going to Playa for 14 years-please e-mail and I will answer any questions and help with hotels etc(not that familiar with als, except for one that is right in Playa)

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Yvonne

Hi I also am hading that way this Christmas. Do you know waht the hotel Ceiba del Mar is like ( a little bit North of Playa I know ) Also El faro in town. What will the weather be like end of December beginning of January. Will the sea be cold? Any info would be great
Yvonne

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Monica

Hi, I believe the Ceiba is actually in Puerto Morales which is about 30 miles from Playa. I really don't have any information. Puerto Morales is a very laid back town, not alot to do there, but I understand there are some good restaurants. I can help on the ElFaro. Its is small, 25 rooms on the beach-a pool-nice beach(kept very clean)nice restaurant that serves breakfast and lunch. Breakfast is included in the price. Close to the many restaurants in Playa and its a safe secure hotel. Again if you want to e-mail I can give you some tips. The weather is great that time of year-mornings and evenings can I time get a little cool-like a sweater, but the days heat up during the day that is very comfortable. The water is a little cool, but swimmable.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Coconut

Hi...we stopped in Cancun on a cruise and went through Playa Del Carmen when we were going to Tulum. It was just beautiful. So much prettier than the other islands we stopped at - Jamaica, a private island, and the Caymans. The water was a beautiful turquoise blue color. The waterfront part of town was very quaint and we wished we had had more time to wander around. We are actually planning a trip right now back to that area because that one-day trip there really put a bug in us to go back and have more time to experience the culture and the beautiful scenery.

I would suggest going to Tulum too if you get a chance. It's very close and was worth it - even though it was unbearably hot. Make sure to take a hat!

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Nancy

I have also heard a lot of very nice things about El Faro. I wish we would have stayed there instead of Continental Plaza Playacar. I have also read good reviews of the new hotel The Deseo. It's not on the beach, but is supposed to be very nice and more of a spa vacation spot. Kind of a boutique-hotel looking place.
PDC is a lot of fun and has interesting shops and restaurants. I would definitely suggest NOT going the AI route. (Too many good places to eat to limit yourself.)
Chichen Itza, Tulum and Coba are all ruins within reach. The cenotes along Hwy 307 are fun for a snorkeling change.
There are also a couple of places to ride south of PDC. I'd suggest Tres Rios since I've been there and found the horses and tack to be well cared for and in good shape.
Have fun!