Search

Playa Day Trips

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Dr Nick

Playa Day Trips

I'm taking a cruise to Playa del Carmen and only have from 9AM to 6PM there. I want to see Tulum and Xelha. I am not a beach person and do not care to snorkel, but swimming with dolphins sounds like fun. I will be traveling solo. I really think that the cruise sponsored tours are a huge rip-off- so, what recommendations for tours would you suggest? Thanks for your help!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Nancy

I would ask you to please reconsider the dolphin swim. They are incredibly cruel. I did it once and was sorry ever since. No matter how clean or nice it looks, more than half of the dolphins die within 60 to 90 days of capture. <BR>In order to make an informed decision, please visit:<BR><BR>http://dolphinproject.org/ <BR><BR>http://www.hsus.org/ace/11727<BR><BR>(The second site is the Humane Society of the United States' position on SWTD programs.)<BR>

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Mary

They are a rip-off. Once you tender into Playa-just walk up to 5th avenue and take a taxi either to Xel-ha or Xcaret, both have swim with the dolphins. From what I have read, its best to make a reservations on line for this. This is something I would not do-but I have talked to adults who did this and really enjoyed it. Have fun!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:02 AM
Dolphin

To add to Nancy post...not only do more than half die of capure shock, but of the survivors, over half will die within their first two years of captivity. Every seven years, half of all dolphins in captivity die from pneumonia, intestinal disease, ulcers, chlorine poisoning and other stress-related illnesses. Some commit suicide. These mammals are very depressed and are subjected to hunger so they will perform for food. Please don't participtate. <BR>Xelha and Xcaret are both nice parks and there are plenty of other things to see without swimming with the dolphins. <BR>Tulum is beautiful as well but very hot, so make that you're first stop for a couple hours then go to one of the parks to cool off. It might be less expensive to rent a car for the day and do it yourself than take the sponsored tours...or maybe someone has info on a bus that can get you there?<BR>Have fun.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Dr Nick

Nancy, (and others):<BR>Thank you so much for this informative (and quite disturbing) news. I love animals and had no idea that these poor creatures have their lives stifled so quickly after capture. I always thought they were well-cared for and happy. I definitely will not be swimming with dolphins in captivity. Which now leaves me with Tulum, possibly by cab. I had a bad experience in Chichen Itsa, where I was abandoned and had to find my way back to Cancun. Maybe the overpriced cruise tours are not such a bad idea, at least there's someone to sue if things go awry.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Nancy

Oh my, Nick, not a good thing! (Getting stuck at Chichen Itza.)<BR>Actually, I would recommend the tours to Tulum. They are on large, fast, air conditioned buses that are wonderful to climb back onto after a hot 2 or 3 hours at Tulum. <BR>You could probably do a lot better pricewise if you booked your trip once you got to PDC, but it would be easier just to let the cruisline handle it. (They all use the same tour lines anyway.)<BR>Have fun, and thanks for your caring attitude about the dolphins. You would be surprised how many people say, "I don't car, I'm doing it anyway," or, "you must be lying."<BR>