Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Cozumel is it worth it?? Advice needed...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2003, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and my family are going to be staying at the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzel at the end of Feburary. We are trying to decide whether to spend the time in taking the ferry to Cozumel. We don't scuba-dive. We were just wondering if it was worth going?? Is there much to do there??<BR>Do you have any advice on what side-trips we should take...I heard the park that lets you snorkel and swim with the dolphins is quite nice...<BR>Have you visited Playa Del Carmen? What did you think of it...it is only 5 minutes from our resort...is it worth going??<BR>Any feeback would be greatly appreciated...
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 11:38 AM

We stayed on Cozumel and definitely think it's worth it. Our favorite day trip was Tarzan Tours. Check this link to read about: http://www.eagleraydivers.com/TarzanTours.htm
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 12:54 PM

I would ask you to please reconsider the dolphin swim. They are incredibly cruel. I did it once and was sorry ever since. No matter how clean or nice it looks, more than half of the dolphins die within 60 to 90 days of capture. <BR>In order to make an informed decision, please visit:<BR><BR>http://dolphinproject.org/ <BR><BR>http://www.hsus.org/ace/11727<BR><BR>(The second site is the Humane Society of the United States' position on SWTD programs.)<BR><BR>
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 12:59 AM

Yes take the ferry to Cozumel. It is well worth your trip. Fantasic beaches, great snorkeling and some ruins with the biggest ignuanas I have ever seen. Playa Del Carmen is alot of fun and lots of neat little cafes and bars. There is also a great beach. If you want to swim with the dolfins I say go for it, we did not but the people who did seemed very happy that they did. From Playa it is only a short bus ride to Tulum, a truly great ruin and I think that all who see it are very impressed. The bus system is great, use it and enjoy. We spent 2 weeks there last year. Email at [email protected] if you have any questions. Wendy
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 05:37 AM

Wengod...the people who swam with the dolphins may have seemed very happy that they did so, however, trust me, the dolphins did NOT enjoy it. They only perform those stupid tricks (which are NOT natural behaviors for them) because they want the fish 'reward'. They are trained by food depravation. Please look at the web sites provided by Diana and learn for yourself how incrediblly cruel these 'swim with dolphin' parks really are. <BR>Kayc- Yes, I think Playa Del Carmen is worth the visit, especially since you'll be so close to town. There are many shops and restaurants, and the beach bars are fun for people watching. If you like history, Tulum is nearby and can be a nice day trip, combined with snorkling in the parks...but skip the 'dolphin swim'. When you get to the hotel, they will have all sorts of other 'tours' and activities, such as horseback riding, sailing, ATV tours, etc, but it's best to book these things in town. You'll get better rates than at your hotel. As for Cozumel, be warned that many people get sick on the ferry over, as it can be quite rough. So decide for yourself whether you want to go there, knowing you'll see many of the same things in PDC area. The beaches are so beautiful in the area,you may decide not to do anything else! Have a great time!
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 06:22 AM

Kayc,<BR><BR>Having been throughout the area, I guess I would say that, since you don't scuba-dive, the only real attraction of Cozumel is that - in my opinion - San Miguel is the nicest town around. Nicest atmosphere, friendliest people, and definitely more authentically Mexican that Cancun. I went with my daughter, and I didn't feel there was any need to return, whereas it was her favorite part of the trip. Lots of shopping, but it's more expensive than Cancun or Playa del Carmen. As far as getting sick on the ferry: yes, it is a bit rough, but I definitely wouldn't put it in the sickness-conducing ferry. Personally, I haven't heard of or seen anyone getting sick. If you're talking about just a day trip to Coz, then I don't think it's worth it, because you won't be around long enough to get the really nice feel of the place.<BR><BR>PDC, I do think is worth the trip. It's a fun town - fun places to shop, to eat, to party - kind of whatever your &quot;thing&quot; is. If you go a couple blocks off the main strip, you'll find some of the best prices anywhere.<BR><BR>Snorkeling day trips from Cancun are really fun -- if you go with AquaWorld, you're free to lie in the sun, drink, and swim at your leisure -- and definitely, there are reefs worth seeing. As far as swimming with dolphins goes, I guess I think there are so many other fun, exciting, and educational things to do in the area that there's no need to support dolphin captivity.