Playa Conchal-need tour info

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Playa Conchal resort in November and are wondering what type of tours are available/recommended by others that have been. We are definitely interested in doing a canopy tour and a tour to Rincon de la viega (sp?)We also would like to know what to expect for costs. Thank-you for your input.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 11:25 AM

We did a couple of tours 3 years ago to the Rincon area (a horseback tour and a canopy/mudbath tour). Each was about $80 per person. Also, from Playa Conchal, you can do kayaking with a guide, a bicycle tour with a guide, an ATV tour with a guide, perhaps other things as well. These are some of the ones I noticed available while we were there. The resort itself has 3 zip lines, the last one sailing over the swimming pool. A regular canopy tour will offer about a dozen or more cable and platforms and will run you something in the $60 range.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 12:55 PM

There is a river boat tour which I am sure your hotel concierge would be aware of that is fantastic. We went in February when the water was lower so I don't know what it will be like in Nov. We saw the most extraordinary array of birds (storks, etc.) as well as monkeys, reptiles, bats, etc. I think the company was eco-tours and they were great. We also did the turtle watch on Playa Grande which was awesome. You will love the canopy tour and mud bath at Rincon de la Vieja. We also took a sunset sail from Flamingo Marina with snorkeling. Try dinner at Sugar Beach Hotel. Beautiful, secluded, and good. You will have a great time!
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 01:17 PM

I've heard great stuff about the horseback-canopy-mudbath tour also. Do you know which company offers this tour or where I can book this? I'll be in the same area (Tamarindo) and really wanted to check this tour out... Thanks!
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 02:23 PM

Let me just give you some prices on some of the tours so you will know at least as to what they cost.

1.The tour to Ricon de la Vieja

includes:
mineral hot pool and mud bath
11 platform Canopy tour
natural sauna
lunch
cost........$135.00 per person

2. Palo Verde River Tour:

this is about a 1 hour drive from Playa Conchal ( maybe 1 1/2 hour).

You get a 2 1/2 hour boat ride along the Tempisque( or Tempiski) River to see all the wild life.

Lunch is included after the boat ride

Price........$75.00 per person

3. Canopy Tour Only:

about 3-4 hours including travel
11 platforms
Price............$70.00 per person

4.Mega Tour

includes:
Spa and hot springs at Ricon de la Vieja
Canopy Tour
Horseback riding
Waterslide,with guide

Price .......$120.00 per person

5. Turtle Tour:

price $70.00

6.Sailing and Snorkeling Tour:

Price $65.00 to $ 95.00, depending on the boat used.

7. All day ( 14 hour tour to Nicaragua)

.....price $155.00

I am not going into details about the tours , rather I am only attempting to give you a price range of what some tours cost.

I could list another 5-6 tours yet ,but I am sure you have a good idea now,of what there is.

Like there is a tour going to Arenal and then another one going to Monteverde.

At a lovely place like Playa Conchal ,they will have many tours and combinations that you can choose from.

Also some tours will only be available if there is a minimum of 3or 4 people.

As you can see the tour prices go up each year. !!! like everything else.!

Percy

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 03:05 PM

Thanks, Percy. . . .increible!

As noted, there are several tour operators. We had good luck with Swiss Travel and thought we had a wonderful guide. We still talk, as a family, about the things we learned with "Larry"!
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 07:22 PM

You are right shillmac

There are many Tours and Tour operators along this beach coast area from Tamarindo to Golf de Papagayo.

In fact a new tour group just came up..at least new to me.

They call themselves Liberia Tours.

They offer service right from the Liberia Airport to your hotel, as some hotels do not provide transportation from the Liberia Airport to their resort location.

I find this a little amazing.

Like ...buy a van,put your resort name on the Van and go to the airport and pick up your customers, charge them a little if you want but at least pick them up.!!

It was so heart warming when I came to Costa Rica last year and Oscar was right there to pick me up.

Or several months before when I flew into Quito Ecuador, a little apprehensive , I might add, and there was Carlos the Tour Guide waiting for me ,right in front of the crowd, as soon as I opened the door ,heading to collect the luggage.

I know people who have flown into Liberia heading to a large resort and had to take a taxi to get to their resort.!! Hmmm.

Oops, I think , I digressed, so let me just say to jbro, there will be lots of tours available from your lovely resort.

In fact there will be more tours than you will have time for...decisions ,decisions !!!

When in November are you going.?

Whew...just listened to the Bush /Kerry debate.

Percy

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 08:19 PM

Percy, any chance you could give everyone the web site for the Liberia Tours? With so many people flying into that airport now, I am sure it would be a big help.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 09:01 PM

Hi Percy,
Yes, whew here too--the debate was a little nerve racking! And for us poor voters, it is hard to know what is "right". Another forum?
I, too, have always wondered about the lack of transportation offered by the major resorts. First time we went to Allegro Papagayo, we were picked up by the hotel--I'm guessing it was because we were on an air/hotel package plan. Like the Four Seasons, for example. Their prices are outrageous, so you would think people would consider not doing business with them if they don't have the courtesy to offer transportation without an big price tag.
Perhaps the current trend provides more jobs for the Ticos? Taxis, shuttles, etc? No se. . . .

Good to hear from the turtle's mouth--you've been quiet for awhile
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 09:02 PM

an big price tag? Jiminy Christmas, it's late!
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 07:13 AM

Hi Everybody

Okay Jessie:

To contact Liberia Tours,their e-mail is

[email protected]

They do provide transportation fromthe Liberia airport.

Shillmac:

Last November , I had friends going to the resort at Ocotal and they wanted $90.00 per person to transfer you to THEIR resort.!!!!

These people just changed to a different resort.

I personally think these resorts have to do a little better PR work.

We all spend enough money in Costa Rica as tourist, you would think that a shuttle to their own resort would be in order.!

Percy

Old Oct 1st, 2004, 01:17 PM

You would think. . . .